Author Topic: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?  (Read 26468 times)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2022, 09:35:13 AM »
59, only due to union rules. Could have kept it going but decided for free time. Six months later the virus hit. Clobbered and still clobbering my old industry.
Dogged the bullit.

I love it, best time of my life. The financial platter requires adjustment. And exceptantes.
But I feel lucky and enjoy all the ‘free’ stuff.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2022, 10:49:32 AM »
I just re-read the entire thread and am Bumping (to the top):

My wife and I used to say 5 years is infinity. In 5 years you could get divorced, have someone die, lose your job, go bankrupt . . . .

In the last 364 days I had my mother die, inherited my father who could not take care of himself and adopted a friend of my daughters who came from an abusive family situation.  We went from a family of 5, and an empty nest, to a family of 7 with 2 more people living in the house.  We now say 1 year is infinity. 

This thread had great insights but is now 5 years old.  In 2017 foiling was in its infancy, winging had not been invented, TSLA was $65 a share and this was all before COVID and the invasion of Ukraine to name a few things. 

People were talking about 2, 3 and 5 year expectations to retirement (some longer).  Most names were well known Zoners.  Some people have disappeared.

Question:  How is it all turning out 5 years later?

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2022, 11:44:45 AM »
Beasho sorry about your mom and I admire your taking care of the others who need some help right now.   

AS for me I don’t know….
I’m 59 now, and am getting schedules thrown in front of me: Your benefits are $X, $Y or $Z if you retire at 62, 63, or 64…. that sort of thing. All making it a little more real.  So part of my timing decision will be based on that … when I will personally feel OK with the time/benefit tradeoff. The last red administration was admittedly pretty good for the retirement savings, making me optimistic about actually retiring, but recently that has faded as have the retirement funds. THEN I consider what goes when the job goes … contributing… the daily problem solving at a level that simply isn’t available in private life.  Aren’t I supposed to keep the brain working to stave off dementia? THEN I consider those who say they wish they had retired earlier, and they never look back.   I like my job. But I don’t like the constant weight of never really being free of the work.  So I’m just going to press on for the next few years until the equation becomes more clear. 
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2022, 12:42:57 PM »
I’m 38 now and if I give up windsports could probably retire at 39. Haha.  Honestly targeting 50 for primary retirement but will likely work 1/2 time until my hands and mind give up since I enjoy my work so much.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2022, 10:05:39 PM »
I've been retired for more than ten years now. I have no idea how I ever had time to work. I have a modified outlook on Beasho's 5 years is infinity (but yeah, it is) and that is "hell is other people". My wife and I spend an inordinate amount of time and money looking after family, some of whom are squared away and capable, don't need any help from us or anyone, and some of whom are endlessly fucked, either from their own actions (or inactions), or bad luck, or age and disease. We try not to create dependencies, but family is family and if we can and must help, we do.

It's worthwhile to factor that into your retirement plans. Everyone's situation is unique but you can expect both you and your spouse to start having health issues (I'm dealing with Afib and a bum knee, my wife has two bad knees (arthritis) and type one diabetes). Getting older isn't for sissies, but it's not just you, it's everyone around you.

That sounds a lot like boo, hoo, poor me--it's not. I have a great life and I still play hard. But it does seem like once the stress and effort of making a business run are gone a new set of issues takes their place. It makes some sense to prepare yourself for that.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal