Author Topic: Sore palm / thumb joints / tendons from paddling?  (Read 7131 times)

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
Sore palm / thumb joints / tendons from paddling?
« on: October 28, 2017, 01:32:37 PM »
I'm developing a mildly annoying pain and stiffness in the base of my thumb, and the next link down in my palm, on my right hand. Don't know if it's the first sign of arthritis, or carpal tunnel syndrome from clicking the mouse at work and in computer games, or jamming the paddle handle over and over into that spot when I do SUP and strength training 3x / week.

Today I noticed the soreness progressing further up my forearm, but in the same tendon that connects to the thumb.

Anybody else have something like that? Ideas what it might be or how to avoid it?

Thanks!
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sore palm / thumb joints / tendons from paddling?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 03:16:45 PM »
Have the same thing for a while due to excessive mouse work. I had to change the way I work on the
computer. The thing that really works for me for relieving that pain was a Compression Wrist Sleeves.

https://www.tommiecopper.com/men-s-recovery-compression-wrist-sleeves

At first I thought it's BS but I had nothing to loose other than few dollars but this thing really works for me.
in progress...

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 03:37:48 PM »
First option would be to rest and see how much that helps.  Then build opposing and supporting muscles.  That generally resolves or minimizes soreness for me.  DOMS.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 04:00:40 PM »
Wait until you get to be 66 and then get back to me and tell me what else is sore :)......Yea,  aches and pains can take alot of the stoke away so my advice is to find what works best FOR YOU....heat, ice, ibuprofin, yoga, rest, weed.....you get my drift. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to keeping moving. And at some point there will be procedures to keep you going.....hip replacement, carpel-tunnel surgery....been there done that!  But still paddling and enjoying it....so well worth the effort and pain!
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 05:10:02 PM »
Another thing that could help is using a handle with a bigger surface area for your palm to press down on, what kind of paddle handle are you using?

Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 05:14:08 PM »
I had some serious tendon/ nerve pain in my right forearm and tricepts this summer and a friend suggested I try Active Release Technique treatment, which really helped me.  It might be different from your issue but it's worth checking out.  I'm not affiliated in any way with ART but it really helped me when nothing else seemed to work.   You might be able to find a local provider in your area here: http://www.activerelease.com
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 05:19:09 PM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 05:48:46 PM »
Check your paddle... I had the same problem in my right thumb, and found it was due to the handle of my paddle had rotated about 10% in relation to the paddle blade. As soon as I stopped using that paddle, the pain subsided and has never come back.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 06:05:27 PM »
Hmm. I know my paddle handle is a tiny bit off center (installed it myself) but I think only like 1-2 degrees. Have to squint to see it. But perhaps a combination of the unevenness and the shape of the handle itself could be a problem. It's not a very broad handle, but it feels comfortable enough when I'm just holding it. Maybe I'll try a different paddle for a while and see if that helps.   
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 07:31:18 PM »
Any visible handle alignment is going to be felt over the long term. The quickest way to test is to reverse the error. For many people, a broader handle exacerbates problems. You tend to grip it more instead of resting your hand on top of it to push down.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 07:33:05 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal