Author Topic: Curbing da enthusiasm  (Read 1668 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Curbing da enthusiasm
« on: October 21, 2017, 12:50:39 PM »
As many of you know, when it's windy here on Maui there are two different options for downwind surfing depending on wind direction.  Some days both sides of Maui are excellent!  But there are also some days when it's nuking and both sides are marginal.

Like this last week.  There has been mega winds but on the N side, early season swells from multiple angles have made Maliko runs like dodge ball with very little rewarding aspects.  On the S side the wind has been shearing offshore from about mid-way on our shortest run and smokin' out to god knows where, certainly no landed areas.  Some windsurfers reported gusts to 60.  This kind of velocity and WD is nothing to mess around with.

We venture out in a certain degree of uncontrolled environment and I guess in one way we're like Trump in avoiding solo press conferences.  There's a limit to how much exposure we want to have where our focus is held accountable.

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Curbing da enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 03:35:34 PM »
I wanna do it on Maui someday......but it's gotta be a group with an experienced leader and a backup boat or jetski. It's looks like great fun and adventure......but only if you get to come back home.
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 05:10:04 PM »
You don't need a boat, but you do need a guide. Mr. Headmount will get you to the other end in one piece. He has the patience and the expertise. Reasonable too. Guys like me are terrible guides.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 08:17:42 PM »
We finally got a great south side run today!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal