Author Topic: DW video of Dave passing us all on his foil  (Read 10369 times)

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: DW video of Dave passing us all on his foil
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 02:47:21 PM »
Headmount getting some press :) . Yeah Bill!

http://www.supthemag.com/videos/find-glide-maui-south-side/

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 11:32:38 PM »
Hmm.  Was looking at your feet forward orientation.  But see your stance has weight aft to pop up the nose.  Generally that is necessary if your tip submarines.

If you can -> try a powder specific board so you can stay neutral and better balanced.  Really makes powder riding easy more fun and less tiring because your back leg is not tensed up.

Comparatively my all mountain board feels like crap vs my powder board.  Not wide enough or flexy enough for powder.  ;)

https://youtu.be/idDcwznBbk0
My go to powder board for years was Burton Fish, 156 and 160.  Gerry also had a 160 of his brand back in the 90s that worked well.  They were back leg burners but very maneuverable.  As you noted splashing the nose on a Bullet 17' can be harsh.  These boards maintain glides well but it can be a real trick making drops and pulling a turn. 
Having that back leg prepared like a 'wheelie' is essential.  The vee at the very tail allows for some fairly quick angle changes up to 20-30 degrees.  On that particular clip that those stills were taken from,  I was able to land it smooth with a tail stand and maintain as I slipped between Randy and JR's student.  My pal Randy on the red board,  has a great clip in the beginning of the video where he pulls a lateral turn standing way up front just using the rudder.  He's 140 and I'm 195.  Two approaches, same result.  But with strong lateral moves, not only do you not hit, you go faster for longer.  Love the snowboard shots.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 11:35:34 PM »
I think headcount might be old enough to remember this...

oh, and BTW, ...

For powder boards in your neck of the woods look up Wengy and try a Dupraz snowboard. (Dupraz is a regular paddle buddy). Those are real pure pow boards. Making a comeback too.

Or Chris Prior, Prior Snowboards [and Skis], for locally built. I know him through my friend to turned me on to SUP. Small world.

I suspect you're due for an upgrade to a real powder board. And maybe later real powder skis.

I also suspect headcount is just reaching for the steering with his toes.

I got to ride a Prior split board and loved it.  Climbing with one was just about the most energetic thing I've ever done.   And you made my day with that pic.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 12:01:14 AM »
Eagle, Here's the same two approaches from top level paddlers, Dave Kissane from Australia and Jeremy Riggs from Maui.  Dave is executing the 'on the rudder front seat move' while Jeremy is back on the tail wires doing the 'wheelie"

In this case Dave is the big guy and Jeremy more slight, so being forward isn't just a 'size matters' thing but if you hit a 'mogul' on the drop, you are vulnerable. 

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 08:29:44 AM »
Eagle, Here's the same two approaches from top level paddlers, Dave Kissane from Australia and Jeremy Riggs from Maui.  Dave is executing the 'on the rudder front seat move' while Jeremy is back on the tail wires doing the 'wheelie"

In this case Dave is the big guy and Jeremy more slight, so being forward isn't just a 'size matters' thing but if you hit a 'mogul' on the drop, you are vulnerable.

Great photo of Dave dropping in.  Really shows off the size of the bump ahead.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 02:45:37 PM »
remember the lange posters well--as a cu skier we got 2 free pairs ea season--custom fitted at the plant in broomfield--lange bang?---no problem--we had extra rivets up the back, so way stiffer than stock--sadly my shins arent nearly so durable any more---thk god for intuition liners

for the record, i was a B skier, which was basically pay to play, but i trained daily with some amazing athletes, and skied some wild rec too, when coaches werent looking---nothing like racing as a background for steep backcountry lines, which have been an obsession since

tho i surf way more often than i ski these days
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 03:14:35 PM »

Do you have a digital subscription?  I can't get the text under the vid.  If you do can you copy and post it?

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2017, 03:17:15 PM »
remember the lange posters well

great series. still going strong.

nothing like racing as a background for steep backcountry lines, which have been an obsession since

yep. addictive. like DW.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 08:41:06 PM »

Do you have a digital subscription?  I can't get the text under the vid.  If you do can you copy and post it?

I don't but I can see it - copied below.  By "press" I really meant that was a great shot of you in the video at the top of the article.  Can see where that may be misleading :)

Finding glides in the Hawaiian channels is not hard to do. Riding them well is a different story. Successfully linking together bumps takes years of practice and an intimate knowledge and feel for ocean conditions. These paddlers have clearly put in their time as they whipped down a fun run on Maui’s South Side with ease. It looks like a blast and definitely has us itching to get back over there.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 08:46:41 PM by digger71 »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2017, 09:36:34 PM »

I don't but I can see it - copied below.  By "press" I really meant that was a great shot of you in the video at the top of the article.  Can see where that may be misleading :)

Finding glides in the Hawaiian channels is not hard to do. Riding them well is a different story. Successfully linking together bumps takes years of practice and an intimate knowledge and feel for ocean conditions. These paddlers have clearly put in their time as they whipped down a fun run on Maui’s South Side with ease. It looks like a blast and definitely has us itching to get back over there.
Thanks.  I get this often with some web sites where the text comes on then disappears with long bars that designate FB, Twittle, etc.  Don't know why.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2017, 01:43:39 PM »
"My go to powder board for years was Burton Fish, 156 and 160.  Gerry also had a 160 of his brand back in the 90s that worked well.  They were back leg burners but very maneuverable."

What worked and still works best for me is my 161 Supreme with bindings set max back.  Pretty closed stance angle.  Works amazing for me.

My BOD 161 is nice but a bit too much for powder.  Nice for laying down nice arcs and high speed.  But gotta do the back leg burn with that one.

Every board just like for SUP has its very own pros and cons based on the rider.  What I find that always works best is to simply get and use the board that best suits you -> not someone else.  Bigger or smaller or stronger or weaker or whatever.

At 70 or so you seem to be doing pretty ok.
Fast is FUN!   8)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2017, 03:59:18 PM »
"My go to powder board for years was Burton Fish, 156 and 160.  Gerry also had a 160 of his brand back in the 90s that worked well.  They were back leg burners but very maneuverable."

What worked and still works best for me is my 161 Supreme with bindings set max back.  Pretty closed stance angle.  Works amazing for me.

My BOD 161 is nice but a bit too much for powder.  Nice for laying down nice arcs and high speed.  But gotta do the back leg burn with that one.

Every board just like for SUP has its very own pros and cons based on the rider.  What I find that always works best is to simply get and use the board that best suits you -> not someone else.  Bigger or smaller or stronger or weaker or whatever.

At 70 or so you seem to be doing pretty ok.
70 is Pono Bill.  I'm three years shy of that. Today as a matter of fact.  Might go up to Great Northern this winter.  We'll see.  Been doing leg work but those recent hard Malikos my Bullet showed me I still have a ways to go.  Sitting in the ski and operating the rudder pedals isn't cutting it.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2017, 04:15:42 PM »
No bs.  Have been doing a ton of squats the past year and have cut a huge amount of fat off my thighs and put on a whack of muscle.  Pretty sure you can as well.  But take it slow and be careful.  Makes SUP way way easier now.  No more tired legs.

For max gains do both slow pause ATG and max overloaded partials.  Your legs will  tone up before you know it.  Key is to do both.  Gotta get a squat rack and a pile of olympic plates tho.

If passing thru Van let me know.  :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2017, 08:32:31 PM »
A good plan for big mtn pow skis is to have them mounted with demo bindings.  Allows huge variance from playful @0 to charging @-6.  My R2s 192x122 are def pretty surfy -> but cannot compare to my 161 SB in deep pow.  Main diff being the simple tip and go feel.  Way more DW-like.  But for sure skis can go wicked faster.  Normally hanging on carving full tilt on a SB is boring full straight line bombing on skis. Def for major steep lines up Whistler -> skis are the way to go.

Hard to wait for the snowpack to build up as have been snowshoeing 3x the past few days in a foot of pow.  Happy shredding!  :)

https://youtu.be/o8Th6mD52OI
Fast is FUN!   8)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2017, 02:35:23 PM »
11's     !!!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"