Author Topic: DW video of Dave passing us all on his foil  (Read 10414 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
DW video of Dave passing us all on his foil
« on: October 16, 2017, 12:24:06 PM »
Another great open ocean video by Jeremy Riggs. It's incredibly challenging for him to hold steady while shooting and going fast at the same time. Some cool shots here, especially of Dave Kalama weaving amongst us. He had to paddle out for a distance before he lifted up on the foil. At this particular point he was just catching up to us and in short order, passing us like we were standing still. Yet in the SUP world, we were doing OK. It's just that the foil is just so freaking fast. I'm reminded of the dinosaurs. Thanks for the cover shot JR!  Love this particular Stones tune.  Not Fade Away.  How appropriate!

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: DW video of Dave passing us all on his foil
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 01:10:28 PM »
FUN.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 01:19:31 PM »
Nice riding, guys!

After first vision I suddenly thought... how did he film that? So I watched it again.

So how the hell did he film that?

Don't tell me that's hand held. That's just waaaaaay too smoooth.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 01:29:56 PM »
Yep.  Hand held.  You wouldn't want to get into a quick draw gunfight with Jeremy.  That's why I always used a "Headmount"  but it had its drawbacks.  Plus I couldn't shoot and keep up with the team.  Jeremy is so freakin fast he has to slow down to stay with us so it's perfect for him.

How bout Dave and his cam set up?  That was his first south run on foil and he adds all that equipment to the equation.  Blew my mind but he did it.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 01:46:23 PM »
yep. Saw Dave's DJ rig. It's infectious!

but

https://youtu.be/0iZOmjLrFMs

that side shot. What's he doing? Looking at the viewfinder or where he's going. He's keeping up a nice clip.

Stylin'! Nice riding, dudes but Chapeau to the cameraman. Gimbal smoooooth.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 04:34:00 PM »
Love the broadside shots of the downwinders in this video.

Thanks for sharing.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 04:53:02 PM »
I've done some snowboarding and this stance reminded me of it. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 05:07:54 PM by headmount »

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 05:52:04 PM »
Great vid! Cool shot of you catching a nice one HM. Run right up behind RR. ;D

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 08:00:36 PM »
Yeah can kinda see there is a bit of a forward orientation.  When I learned how to SB went straight to carved turns on a nice asymmetric race board using my ski boots.  Did one face plant at speed and nearly knocked myself out catching a toe edge. From there learned pretty quick that SB can be pretty dangerous.  Never had a wipe-out like that on skis.

Then had to detune and learn to skid so I could teach beginners butter turns using their soft setups.  Which actually really helped my skill set.  From there bought a nice soft setup and really enjoy deep powder for that.  As my race board completely sucks and submerges in that.

But what is quite amazing is that Jeremy can get shots like that.  Would have thought his cam would be strapped to his body for easy access vs in a pocket.  Seems a bit dicey pulling that out each time -> but do realize his skills are at a pretty high pay grade.

A couple of my DW pals really enjoyed their time with him on numerous Malikos recently.  They had a great time -> and one also did a tandem with him.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 10:13:44 PM »
Yeah can kinda see there is a bit of a forward orientation.  When I learned how to SB went straight to carved turns on a nice asymmetric race board using my ski boots.  Did one face plant at speed and nearly knocked myself out catching a toe edge. From there learned pretty quick that SB can be pretty dangerous.  Never had a wipe-out like that on skis.

Then had to detune and learn to skid so I could teach beginners butter turns using their soft setups.  Which actually really helped my skill set.  From there bought a nice soft setup and really enjoy deep powder for that.  As my race board completely sucks and submerges in that.

But what is quite amazing is that Jeremy can get shots like that.  Would have thought his cam would be strapped to his body for easy access vs in a pocket.  Seems a bit dicey pulling that out each time -> but do realize his skills are at a pretty high pay grade.

A couple of my DW pals really enjoyed their time with him on numerous Malikos recently.  They had a great time -> and one also did a tandem with him.
Mine is a powder stance

dk78

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 10:29:29 PM »
Great video!

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 09:58:14 AM »
Hmm.  Was looking at your feet forward orientation.  But see your stance has weight aft to pop up the nose.  Generally that is necessary if your tip submarines.

If you can -> try a powder specific board so you can stay neutral and better balanced.  Really makes powder riding easy more fun and less tiring because your back leg is not tensed up.

Comparatively my all mountain board feels like crap vs my powder board.  Not wide enough or flexy enough for powder.  ;)

https://youtu.be/idDcwznBbk0
Fast is FUN!   8)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 10:38:24 AM »
I think headcount might be old enough to remember this...

oh, and BTW, ...

For powder boards in your neck of the woods look up Wengy and try a Dupraz snowboard. (Dupraz is a regular paddle buddy). Those are real pure pow boards. Making a comeback too.

Or Chris Prior, Prior Snowboards [and Skis], for locally built. I know him through my friend to turned me on to SUP. Small world.

I suspect you're due for an upgrade to a real powder board. And maybe later real powder skis.

I also suspect headcount is just reaching for the steering with his toes.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 10:59:11 AM by yugi »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 11:49:13 AM »
His stance looks perfectly neutral to drop into the bump.  Then normally shifts back to keep the tip up after the splash landing.  Seems spot on for that Bullet.

But those equipment lines are pretty standard fare.  Key is to use a powder board where you can stay pretty much balanced and neutral all the time.  Best when its tip submerges -> but pops right back up without leaning back much.

Just like SUP equipment.  Little nuance changes here and there from year to year.  But any good rider should be able to compensate for crap equipment choice.  Just reduces the fun factor is all.
Fast is FUN!   8)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 12:30:30 PM »
Learning this tech is mandatory in dealing with steep and deep powder.  Weight front foot down the slope with smooth torso initiation bringing the back leg around to check speed.  Most sit back stiff legged and straight line thinking that is fun.  Haha.  A certain recipe for a messy wipeout with googles full of snow after.

https://youtu.be/B7BpTORAe9U
Fast is FUN!   8)

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal