Author Topic: Foiling is EASY  (Read 17975 times)

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foiling is EASY
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2017, 03:34:00 PM »
Hi Beasho.  Do you have any Trace stats from your foil sessions?  Would like to see speed  & distance. 
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 05:41:41 PM »
I don't know about you, but I think that hum would be a dinner bell for any big swimming predators in the area.

Kind of like a human lure sort of thing.

Just as likely to scare them away. Not food, might be dangerous.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2017, 07:24:37 PM »

Just as likely to scare them away. Not food, might be dangerous.

I would love to see some side by side testing around Año Nuevo island.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2017, 10:00:41 PM »
Just wait til next Shark Week. They've drug everything else in front of a shark, why not a foil?

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 02:15:56 AM »
Foils only hum because they don’t know the words.

(Someone had to say it)

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 10:25:41 AM »
Great point Beasho

I saw a pic of one of our Zoners, DailyBread Surf Photo, laying into a turn, grabbing the rail.  Looked damn good doing it.  I don't think he's got more than a year under his belt.

This one..

I picked up foiling over the end of the summmer, borrowing a friends when he wasn't using it.  Just got my own foil about a month ago.

I prefer surfing it without using a paddle.  I've been using a borrowed SUP conversion, my custom from DK is in line for being glassed.  7'6 x 22" x 3.5"

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2017, 01:16:02 PM »
I picked up foiling over the end of the summmer, borrowing a friends when he wasn't using it.  Just got my own foil about a month ago.

There you have it just a few months and YOU TOO could be doing rail grabs  8)

PS: Turns on small waves can be AWESOME.  Unlike on a Surfboard the foil turns as if on a rail pulls G's and maintains speed, similar to turning on skis truly using your edge vs. just sliding.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 01:25:03 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 01:19:40 PM »
More fuel to the fire. 

I thought I posted this but it's a great overview on the topic.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 05:17:42 PM »
Thanks DailyBread Surf Photo.  That was the pic and I really like seeing it larger like this rather than FB. 

Great to see your knees bent so well.  Doubt if I have that much bend anymore.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2017, 05:51:01 PM »

Oh man...mine is not far away. Biggest issue now is that I "have" to go to Brasil. So maybe I get a session before I go.

This is like xmas and bday all wrapped into one!!! 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2017, 07:38:18 AM »
I'm going to start in Maui, but my knee is killing me this morning. A reminder that the rides are short on this merry-go-round. I'll get it juiced before I leave, but I suspect I'm not far away from knee replacement. I don't even like to think about that.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2017, 08:43:35 AM »
I'm going to start in Maui . . . .

Awesome!  Looking forward to the report.  Expect a few face plants for the first 3 to 5 sessions. 

Then things will start to come together.  Go heavy on the front foot, and maybe don't even try to fly the first several waves.  The key is learning to subtly attenuate the front foot. 

I was speaking with an army helicopter pilot about learning to fly helicopters which requires coordinated footwork.  When learning he was wobbling around, wobbling around . . . ."OMG I'm never going to get this."  Then all of the sudden "I got it!"

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:00:17 AM by Beasho »

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2017, 10:18:16 AM »
I'm going to start in Maui, but my knee is killing me this morning. A reminder that the rides are short on this merry-go-round. I'll get it juiced before I leave, but I suspect I'm not far away from knee replacement. I don't even like to think about that.

With all my old lingering and persistent injuries I feel like the sooner a full on bionic replacement the better it is.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2017, 10:38:51 AM »
I'm going to start in Maui . . . .

Awesome!  Looking forward to the report.  Expect a few face plants for the first 3 to 5 sessions. 

Then things will start to come together.  Go heavy on the front foot, and maybe don't even try to fly the first several waves.  The key is learning to subtly attenuate the front foot. 

I was speaking with an army helicopter pilot about learning to fly helicopters which requires coordinated footwork.  When learning he was wobbling around, wobbling around . . . ."OMG I'm never going to get this."  Then all of the sudden "I got it!"

Our Dad was stationed in Pensacola Fl.in 1963, to learn how to fly a helicopter as he was about take command of a helicopter carrier, which would be the one first  taking Marines into Vietnam a year later.  The idea was to familiarize him with Heli ops.  He did take command but he never learned how to fly them.  In fact he crashed one and came home a racked up.  He was considered a great fixed wing pilot but somehow that footwork thing eluded him.

kamalino808

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2017, 06:41:47 PM »
Even a monkey can foil!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal