Author Topic: Introducing the H2O Downwind Run...on an OC-1, Standaram and a Bullet (Video)  (Read 3645 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
It's taken a while to get myself sorted out here in the US downwind-wise, but it is awesome to find fellow Zoners and others willing to get up before dawn to set up vehicles for a good long downwind run. ;D

This is a run we've named "H2O" which works in a Southerly (or Northerly) wind and runs from Havens Beach near Sag Harbour, Long Island, NY and ends at the Orient Point By the Sea Restaurant and Marina next to the Orient Point Ferry on the North Fork of Long Island. The run is 10.6 miles / 17.2 kms long, and run in a southerly starts off very mellow and gradually builds up with some nice sized bumps. We started at around 9.00am and high tide was at noon which meant the waves stacked off Cedar Point (see vid 2:10) as the wind was in the opposite direction to the incoming tide.

It was great to get three different craft out on the water together: an OC-1, Burchas's new Standaram, and the trustworthy SIC Bullet 14v1.

https://youtu.be/QGkJdkuLmYI
GoPro Hero 5, Headmounted

See more on the Standaram from the deck mounted GoPro on this thread
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,32623.msg366173/topicseen.html#new
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:18:34 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thx for organizing off-shore! This run is an absolute fun!
Nice to see the Standi from a different perspective. I think your video is
telling the story of the run pretty well and H2O is a very nice and catchy name 8)
in progress...

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Very cool but how long is that shuttle drive?!?!  Haven't been there in a long time but if I recall it's either REALLY long or involves a ferry

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Awesome video, so how's that standaram? Can't imagine it in the bigger surf. Saw one in Maui too.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Very cool but how long is that shuttle drive?!?!  Haven't been there in a long time but if I recall it's either REALLY long or involves a ferry

There are two ferries to take at the south and north of Shelter Island, and so if you time it perfectly without a wait it’s about an hour from Sag Harbor to Orient. So we allowed 2 hours 15 minutes round trip and were lucky with the ferries. It does mean though paying for 2 x 2 ferry trips, and so we’re thinking next time to find a willing adult child of one of the crew to drive a truck and pick us up and save the ferry and fuel cost of one car and pay the driver instead. That would mean an hour more sleep in the morning.

It is possible to drive around the fork and not use a ferry but actually the ferries allow you to check out the conditions, and stretch the legs. One of our group has a business with a van and a trailer that could hold 8+ boards and people so if there is enough interest we could probably have a shuttle.

The next goal is to downwind Orient to New London CT, and then Havens to New London or better, Montauk to New London with a safety boat.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Looks like you are finding some great runs in your new area.
Out of curiosity I have to ask. Back in Hong Kong you had a few different boards, including the polka dot custom F16. I noticed in this video that you are riding a 14. Did you bring your boards with you, and if so how did you choose which favorites boards to bring? I know that you have tried a lot of boards, so it would be interesting to know what you decided to bring/buy at your new location.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
thanks for sharing the dw run Off-Shore  ;)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Nalu-SUP. You bring up an interesting point about my boards... I brought the F16 Polka Dot, SB Ace 14 x 27 and Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 x 27 to the US, but they are still in storage until I find a permanent place to keep them. The Bullet 14v1 TWC you see here in this vid is actually not the same one I had in HK, but a 2nd hand one I bought 3 years ago and kept here. I also brought a RedPaddle 14 x 25” Elite Race with me on the plane and use that for most of my fitness paddling.

What I can say about my F16 is that it is 5 years old and well used but being a custom one built in Maui it has really survived well because of the great construction. It will last another 5 years at least.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 05:40:15 PM by Off-Shore »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Nice vid.  Interesting to see why Mark changed the proto deck design to an open concept.  Pros and cons.  But as expected the steering looks real important on that Standamaran when gliding down and across waves.  The board times are from a link Robert put up a few years ago comparing designs.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hey Robert you guys are hardcore. That is a long and complicated shuttle you have. Dawn patrol has never been my thing, once I retired from the film industry I said no more early mornings for me (unless someone is paying me a lot of money)!

Did you get the racks for your new Tacoma? How is that working out?

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Hey Lazslo. Yes it is a bit of a long haul for a 10mile downwind run and I prefer the ones that run along the coast, but when the wind blows you just gotta go with the direction it’s in! I actually like getting up and seeing the sun rise.

The Tacoma is racked up. I went with your system but have found with the twin cab that actually you can place two racks on it and there is ample tie down width between the two and the boards don’t extend back past the end of the bed which makes reversing in some of the tight spots around our home a little easier.

When out in Long Island where there is more space, using the rear Yakima T rack with the rear roof rack is an easier job that tying boards onto the two roof racks.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:42:19 PM by Off-Shore »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal