Author Topic: Beyond supercomputer  (Read 2058 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Beyond supercomputer
« on: October 11, 2017, 08:03:04 AM »
Nvidia used to quietly build really good graphics cards until the kind of massively parallel processing necessary for high-performance video became just the ticket for machine learning. The acceleration of powerful AI for tasks like level five autonomous driving is capped currently by the processing level required. Actually not really capped, but it needs a box the size of an overnight bag in the trunk and a lot of cooling. Now there's this. http://newatlas.com/nvidia-pegasus-level-5-autonomous-robotaxis/51689  Stunning performance. 

But doesn't that chipset bear a serious resemblance to the chunk of skynet tech that Arnie destroyed?

Actually, if AIs are going to take over, they couldn't pick a better time. Given the current alternatives, I think Skynet would do a better job of running the country.

I took a long drive yesterday (12-plus hours round trip) to pick up my old JD70 tractor and implements. My daughter doesn't need it anymore. Books on tape made it bearable, but I was wishing for a level 5 truck. I followed a google mapping car for a few miles and could almost immediately tell it was self-driving. Lane-keeping and distance to the car in front were too precise for a bored human. I watched for more than ten minutes before the guy pulled off to let me by and his hands were either on the bottom of the wheel or not on the wheel at all.

For the third level of coincidence, I was listening to book two of the series We are legion, we are Bob. Processing power like this might enable replicants, though we'd probably need a suitcase full of memory.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:14:24 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Beyond supercomputer
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 08:12:47 AM »
The 64,000 question is:

Will the AI consider us 'resource competitive' and squash us or will they keep us around for entertainment like we keep dogs around . . . . because we like them? 

Similar to why the Greek Gods put up with us mere mortals.

Alternately we incorporate the AI into a hybrid solution.  This may be the only plausible outcome. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 08:19:53 AM »
Probably so. Enhanced people, even a minor enhancement, would be overwhelmingly capable. The new space race, with superpower outcome. I'd like to see wisdom and empathy enhancement before bulk processing and memory, but that's unlikely.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:38:23 AM »
That newatlas site is somewhat addicting.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 06:34:34 PM »
Ya think??

jsb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 08:42:18 PM »
Actually, if AIs are going to take over, they couldn't pick a better time. Given the current alternatives, I think Skynet would do a better job of running the country.

For an intriguing variation on the Skynet scenario, check out:

https://www.edge.org/conversation/thomas_metzinger-benevolent-artificial-anti-natalism-baan

Even if AI is fully obedient, and maximizing human utility, things don't always end well for us humans...  ;)

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 11:00:08 PM »
i really enjoyed "the bob"  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal