Author Topic: Lahaina, Maui - SUP rentals?  (Read 11686 times)

AlohaBeachGirl

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Lahaina, Maui - SUP rentals?
« on: February 24, 2009, 07:23:04 AM »
I'm new to SUP and am going to Maui in a couple weeks.  We're staying just north of Kaanapali.  Where can we rent stand up paddle boards?  and where are the best SUP beaches on Maui?  any recommendations or helpful hints?
Mahalo,
~ Gina
gina4sun@pacbell.net

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Lahaina, Maui - SUP rentals?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 08:04:05 AM »
Hi Gina... there are a bunch of great shops in Kahahui, near the airport - Hawaiian Isle, Hi Tech and Second Wind that all have great rentals. I'm partial to Hi Tech just cause of friends that work there... ;D  There is another shop right in Lahaina, across from the Lahaina Cannery Mall. Maui Dive and Surf. Never been in there but drive by it everyday and see the boards and signs. It might be the most convenient. Unless you plan on SUPing the Northshore then the Kahaului shops would be right there. There is also Franks shop- Lightning Bolt but they moved to Paia so maybe too far. 

This time of year we get the big North swells... Very very big this morning... Report last night was triple overhead.. Little out of my leaque.  The south/west side, Lahaina- has had fun little thigh to waist high waves all week.  Lots of places to choose from...   

Anyway.. welcome to Maui.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 05:54:53 PM »
It was pretty big this morning at Kanaha but died down fast. A few 1 1/2 overhead sets. Great fun once I had gotten my traditional "Get Worked" out of my system. The big sets were closing out fast, but the mid sized ones stayed up in the offshore wind and went on forever. Looong paddles back. I'm surprised Randy wasn't there since his favorite "L'eau de Omapio" was wafting in the wind.

ditto on high tech, but if you like Naish boards you might want to check them out too--they rent their own boards and generally have their new boards in the fleet.

If you are new to SUP then the west side is definitely for you. Launiopoko, Lahaina Breakwall, Puamana and thousand Peaks are all close by to Kaanapali. 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 11:55:05 AM »
Hi Gina... soooo... are you here yet? Any reports on the Westside rental experiences?

momar

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 03:57:44 PM »
I'll be going in about 3 weeks and will give a report on the rental experience.  Wife and I are renting for a day or two.  Been SUPing for over a year (PSH boards), but doing so in Gulf Coast FLA waters (flat to smaller waves/wake).  I'll be looking to catch some smaller waves and cruise, with a snorkel for the occasional dip.

Thanks for the tips.   ;D

We're also planning on mountain biking down Skyline trail on Haleakala through Waipoli Rd.  If anyone has done this before, please let me know if it's worthwhile.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 04:00:40 PM by momar »

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 10:06:46 AM »
Just noticed another new "shop". In Napili, just before you turn to the Embassy road on the highway. Didnt get the name but there was a big sign saying SUP rentals.

Hammie

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 05:42:06 PM »
I'm going to Maui at the end of Oct.  I plan to rent a SUP for a couple of days.  I am staying in Honokowai area.
I see on the forum there are plenty of places to rent from.
Does anybody know of area SUP maps?
First time going to Maui...I am stoked to say the least.
Thanks.

photosettle

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 07:47:42 PM »
I'd suggest Hi Tec.  Decent board selection and good prices.  I found that the few smaller shops around Lahaina charge too much and often are renting cheap boards.  Please correct me if i'm wrong... I don't want to take business away from local shops in Lahaina but that was just what i noticed at the few places that displayed SUP rental in that area.

Deb

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 09:53:05 PM »
Have you sup'd before? Hi Tec sold their 9'3" PSH Ripper demo/rental, but they have larger boards available. Hi Tec is good, but also stop in at Hawaiian Island Surf and Sport (Kahului) - they are good folks too.

Hammie

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 07:55:48 AM »
I've been on a Bic Jungle 10'10''x28''x5'' in flat water.  I'm looking to rent a SUP to paddle around in a protected cove/bay and hope to progress into currents, chop, slop and maybe catch a wave or two.
I'll do some googling before I leave to get some shops lined up.
Thanks for the info,
Hammie

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard