Author Topic: Extreme V in unlimited tail, anyone see or try it?  (Read 2811 times)

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Extreme V in unlimited tail, anyone see or try it?
« on: October 10, 2017, 08:38:55 AM »
The flavor of the last few years have been some pretty radical concaves. Going in the other direction has anyone seen a blocked off tail but with an ever increasing v in the tail to give a squared off tail the water release attributes of of a pintail slightly above the waterline. But still have width in the tail that engages as the board rolls slightly...

The wine glass transoms of lower speed sailboats and row boats made me think about it. Give a very slight increase in secondary stability yet a clean release.

Someone must have tried it somewhere along the line..just curious...

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Extreme V in unlimited tail, anyone see or try it?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 01:07:20 PM »
^ Re: wine glass transom (if I understand correctly):
I think Jimmy lewis tried that with the Stiletto.

Those "wine galss" tnasom yachts were make for pure displacement. So I get your thinking. But yachts do a lot more movement in the "trim" plane.

Yacht transoms evolve so fast. Check IMOCA 60's. 
   https://youtu.be/GLobesQDSAU

About: "an ever increasing v in the tail to give a squared off tail the water release attributes of of a pintail slightly above the waterline. But still have width in the tail that engages as the board rolls slightly..."

The Rogue Rage downwind board has somewhat of the concept you describe. I healthy kick in the tail with heavy v. Which does as you suggest (and turns like crazy). It is exquisitely stable as you have imagined when that is going on.

Doubt ^ that'd play out on a flat water speed machine however. It's only going ot kick in when planning.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 01:59:08 PM »
The Bullet V2 has a panel vee at the tail and is super fast and stable on plane.  When weight is forward it acts like a pin -> but when tipped to the side sits on the panel vee.

Works perfect and is a nice design as the midsection has a single concave for stability.  With a surf nose the board is very versatile and can handle pretty rough water with ease.  Quite good in everything except in flat conditions it pushes some water.

In light breeze going with the wind it scoots much faster than expected as you can stand way forward to catch every tiny bump with near zero drag off the tail.  In certain situations like that it oddly feels faster than our AS23.  But kinda makes sense.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 02:56:49 PM »
^ if you can feel the Bullet's V in its tail you should try a board that has a V and some kick.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 03:35:47 PM »
^ if you can feel the Bullet's V in its tail you should try a board that has a V and some kick.

Something a little bit like this?
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 04:03:23 PM »
The Bullet V2 has the perfect amount of panel vee.  As well as the Bullet 17.4 from my use on DW runs up Squamish way.  ;D
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Pierre

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 12:41:55 PM »
Is it for pure DW or flatwater/ medium DW? on a UL rounded V sterns work unreal, as it does not drag. on a heavy downwinder it may be a bit tippy but with good fin/rudder combination it may work.Ihave a fully champagne cup section 14-footer and  vertical rail/ rounded bottom 18 footer , the 14' is quite tippy and rolls a bit but works magic on a medium DW run ( or regular bumps) the 18' just works fine in any condition. round is about 1" deep.
 solution for rounded shape is a 3-fin mount ( or rudder with 2 twin about 1 ft ahead of rudder) on my 18' I have an option to insert  centerboard ahead of my feet for sidewinds or 1,5 ft ahead of rudder.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 12:49:02 PM by Pierre »
\HF/- Hi-Fun Hydroworks / custom boards,BZH, since 1982  /  *Link Removed*

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal