Author Topic: Summer Hawaii trip  (Read 7546 times)

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Summer Hawaii trip
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 11:59:32 PM »
When I lived on Kauai back in the mid 80s before moving to Maui, I got to know a lot of great people, but it can get a bit territorial there. Remember back about 10 years ago when they tried to run a Superferry between the islands. A large number of surfers on Kauai paddled out and blocked the massive 340 foot Superferry from entering the Nawiliwili harbor on Kauai. If these surfers were willing to paddle their boards in front of a 340' ship to keep it from invading Kauai's space, paddling in front of a visiting SUPer would be no big deal. Whether it was right or wrong, I really did admire those guys for going head to head with a massive ship while paddling a surfboard, and coming out on top. It captured the best and the worst of Kauai all at once; courage, pride, the willingness to fight a tough fight, but also sometimes an unwelcoming localism. Personally, I never had any problems, and really enjoyed my couple of seasons there, but that was pre-SUP when I spent my time windsurfing or surfing out of the way breaks that were uncrowded back then. It is definitely one of the most beautiful places on earth.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 04:29:43 AM »
Reminds me a little of this scene...

https://youtu.be/cSso6tRfBbo

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 03:16:45 PM »
First week in maui is done,  one to go.   So far two windsurfs, two surfs, snorkeling,  sights, and volcano hike.    We got lucky with a passing hurricane so waist to shoulder surf on the south side.  Jp

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 07:39:32 PM »
Lucky! Hope you get some great waves.

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 10:05:49 AM »
Did score one more surf day.   Best one,  head high i guess rare in summer .  Got to see my son disappear behind a big wave he was paddling for and come racing out of it 5 sec later.   He was surfing.    Will put up some pics at some point.    Jp

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal