Author Topic: Amazing VW camper van? Ultimate surf bum vehicle?  (Read 8674 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Amazing VW camper van? Ultimate surf bum vehicle?
« on: October 10, 2017, 06:32:17 AM »
Now that I'm seriously considering renting out my Newport Beach house and living the surf bum lifestyle for a couple of years, I've begun searching for what I want to live in.  Not having the design/construction skills (might I say genius) of Pono Bill, nor the time to invest into building something, I've become interested in this.  I have always liked the idea of VW camping vans since I was a teenager. 

It's pretty expensive and maybe difficult to get, but it seems pretty cool.  I like the idea of something that is not as bulky as a motor home, since I will use it as my car and my house. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIG9P0lB1iA
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 06:48:00 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

MaineSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Amazing VW camper van? Ultimate surf bum vehicle?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 07:03:32 AM »
Cool design.  It can only handle two passengers while travelling though, three if the front seat is modified.  Also know from experience that the length of beds in VWs is usually 6 feet which makes you sleep diagonal and use up a whole be for one person if you're 6'3".  Looks like you could probably store a few decent size boards inside while you travel though most VW campers I've seen have been fitted with roof rack for boards.
Coreban Dart 14'
SIC Bullet 14 V2
Sunova Speeed 9'2"
Red Sport 12'6"

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 09:21:33 AM »
Pretty sweet...but I believe only available in Europe?  Another one that is available only in Europe that I really like is the Marco Polo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G8SVmJCoTU

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 01:34:12 PM »
these two german van are cool!

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 01:52:47 PM »
What about this?

Volkswagen California XXL

https://youtu.be/JS_HoCo-eoc

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 04:55:19 PM »
I keep thinking about an inflatable addition to a van. I'm surprised I haven't seen one done. There are inflatable campers but I'm thinking of opening the back doors of a van....turn on the compressor....blows up the room and a nice comfy air bed. Wake up....compressor becomes vacuum and sucks it back in. Make the whole thing fit into a low profile box on the floor.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 05:59:47 PM »
I love the vw too but I gotta offer, having to pack everything up and then out again when you want to drive gets old in about 10 minutes.

Do your homework but everyone who does it full time says no to "pull out and convert the bed." This can mean moving everything you own just to get to lie down for a few. I know they aren't sexy but it's hard to beat a travel trailer as you can leave your "home" in one place when you go to work etc.

If you get a bumper pull trailer you can still have a van to drive and take naps in while you chill at the beach and then go back to your "place" at the campground where your bed is made, you have a kitchen you don't have to unfold and a table you don't have to set up.

Just some unsolicited advice but #vanlife looks great on Instagram for a few weeks but I'm not sure I could do it longer term. You may be more amenable to the setup and tear down and if so, you can go as small as you like but I genuinely wish you comfort and adventure on this journey and not a weird awkward camping trip.

YouTube is full of great, real world talks on this. But try to look beyond the "tour of our new van!" videos (episode 3!) and check the 6 month and 1 year updates. Almost all of them have a list of things they'd change. No fold out bed is usually first thing they mention.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 06:24:43 PM »
That's how I'm going to do it. My wife and I are planning to get a small travel trailer that I can pull behind my truck...or maybe get a new van..... when we retire. I like the idea of parking the house and having better mobility. Hoping to travel the country for a few years visiting zoners..... ;). I was thinking about some of the discussion on the moving to NC thread. We could rent our house here and easily finance our travels around the country with it....something to consider anyway.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 06:30:31 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 07:08:57 PM »
Stoneaxe, you know about the ford transit?  Get the high roof with the 3.5 eco boost engine.  With the tow package you can tow 7000 lbs.  Lot's of good trailers out there.  Pull into the rv park.  Unhitch, and go.  Been there, done that.

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 09:42:26 PM »
Stoney, the blow up thing then deflate it when leaving just reminds me of the Lorax or maybe the Cat in the Hat but definitely Dr. Seuss.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 10:32:33 PM »
Cheaper and smaller, but it's pretty amazing what they are doing with conversions these days

https://www.reconcampers.com/packages-options

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 11:04:48 PM »
Nero, our race car hauler Airstream conversion has a sofa that converts to a bed. I spent five months using it, and hated converting the sofa after about the first week. So much so that when Diane was gone for a week-long girlfriend trip I slept on the sofa with just a blanket.

When I started considering a Van or a GMC motorhome I decided on the GMC with one major design criteria--an adequate bedroom requiring no switch-over.

The other main requirement is some space. Felix (the GMC) will have minimal built-ins. Comfortable chairs, spaces for just the things we want to carry and no more. Stuff expands to fit available space. Less space, less stuff.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 11:57:10 PM »
Best I've seen is one of the Mercedes Blutec Sprinter RV units, with propane generator for electricity backup and portable bathroom/shower/kitchen and air conditioner, and plenty of inside space to keep boards and even a fold up electric bike.  Even have a nice home theater/computer/media center. My neighbor had one for a while and it was really cool.  He bought it in Florida, lived in it while repairing and selling a home he owned in Pensacola, and after a year and a half, sold it for more than he paid in California.

I think they run used for 70 to 80K, but can be sold easily without a lot of depreciation.  It is, after all, where you are going to live, and having to find a bathroom all the time sucks.  Bed is easy to fold in and out, and there is rear entry that is large when needed.

Tow a small electric car for local jaunts.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 12:01:43 AM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 04:29:22 AM »
Sportsmobiles are the ultimate in campervans. You can even get them in 4x4.

https://sportsmobile.com/
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal