Author Topic: Foiling Surfski  (Read 7099 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Foiling Surfski
« on: October 09, 2017, 08:00:31 AM »
Glad to see that someone has started on this.  https://www.facebook.com/revokayaks/.  Probably will find that a greatly reduced boat is possible but we will see.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Foiling Surfski
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 11:31:37 AM »
  Probably will find that a greatly reduced boat is possible but we will see.
Yep. Like one of those stubby little white water kayaks.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Blackrat

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 02:28:09 AM »
Yea it's way too long , need paddle ski , those short little kayaks

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 03:04:14 AM »
I asked a few of the waveski makers if they would build me one with a foil mount.  They are happy to do it.  I was kind of hoping some one would pick up the project and do a little testing first :).  My guess is you could get away with a greatly reduced boat.  Likely smaller even than a performance waveski but that would take some fiddling to figure out. 

http://waveski.com/models/j-bay/

Blackrat

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 04:16:49 AM »
Haha now that's a wierd coincidence , I live in Jbay :-)

But yea , IMO that's the perfect platform to start developing either a DW or surf kayak for foiling

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 05:23:19 AM »
Yea it's way too long , need paddle ski , those short little kayaks

Yep, a full length ski would be a nightmare as trimming through body lean is essential when we surf ski but foil/balance trimming when sat down is going to be challenging. Would fore/aft foils be better in this case ?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 06:03:30 AM »
The thought of swinging that huge eggshell nose and tail around in good bumps and having it catch and bash while under pressure...I don't see that working on a lot of levels.  If you used two foils in a flyak configuration they would need to be pretty close together to avoid losing one behind the swell in many instances. 

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 06:06:57 AM »
The thought of swinging that huge eggshell nose and tail around in good bumps and having it catch and bash while under pressure...I don't see that working on a lot of levels.  If you used two foils in a flyak configuration they would need to be pretty close together to avoid losing one behind the swell in many instances.

There is footage online of a dual foiled K1 (I think it was) on flatwater and that worked really well but required a lot of energy to get it up. It also wouldn't work well in the swell. I think your suggestion of a short length wave ski is far better.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 08:54:40 AM »
I know nothing about any of this but 1st thing i thought when i saw it was how do you trim front to back while sitting?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 10:11:32 AM »
There is probably something to this 'Idea' but the end state is going to look nothing like this.

Using Kai Lenny as an example.  He broke the whole low speed foiling wide open with his cut off downwind board. 

He would never again use that board.  He is foiling on short SUP's and dinner plates.

The long, extended platform with foil attached was just a step in the evolutionary process.  Once your up on the foil you want the entire craft to go away.   

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 05:46:30 PM »
Beasho, re: Kai, yeah what about that 3'9"!!?

Admin you may have to be the crash test dummy on this one. ;)

But as far as trim, if the balance is right you could do a to. Of trim just by moving your upper body. Refer to the OC-1 guys to see that in action.

So weird that every water sport is looking into adding a foil. Really fun time to be in paddle sports.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 06:18:43 PM »
I'm going to trademark the word unifoil.....mount a purple metal flake 60's stingray bike seat on top of a foil...... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 06:21:15 PM »
Stoneaxe, I love it.

Seriously, have you seen the 3'9" board (disc?) that Kai is surfing? Nuts.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 07:35:56 PM »
How you gonna adjust pitch control in a ski?  Sitting on your butt seems an odd way to have to deal with pitch.  Of course you do adjust back and forth with traditional ski riding by leaning slightly forward of the CG (I've only got 10 months under my belt so I'm no expert) but from what I've seen of the stand up foilers, they're really getting it on with the pump and the pump is what keeps them up.

I'm just not seeing it.  Will someone do it please and post the video?

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 07:39:59 PM »
Yikes! I have a 9' international class decked surf kayak that I am not using much. Maybe once a year. Well built carbon Kevlar boat by "Murky Waters". Any kayakers out there? Do you think it would be possible to roll a kayak that has a foil attached? Definitely don't want to be a swimmer with a boat full of water and a foil attached.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal