Author Topic: foilmount gone bad  (Read 2992 times)

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
foilmount gone bad
« on: October 08, 2017, 02:37:57 PM »
I put a foilmount on an older Naish Hokua 8'10" 115L and had a horrible delam after a week of riding it. I didn't notice until I got home.

I live at 5K' so after I drove home from sea level and took it off the truck I was horrified to find it all delammed and bloated with air. Seems airtight because I cant really push the bloat in much. Probably 60% of the bottom is delammed.

Any suggestions of what to do with this older board?

I am leaning toward cutting the foilmount off with a hot wire and then injecting resin with syringe and returning it to a regular sup and then buying a real foil board. I am no repair expert but have done a finbox successfully and a handful of other minor repairs.

I am not really interested in major surgery.

Thanks for your input.
I am loving the foilsupping!!!!!
Can't wait to try it with my kite.

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: foilmount gone bad
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 05:44:26 PM »
Does that board have an air vent on the top?  I relaminated the bottom of a windsurfer once doing it through the air vent (middle of the deck).  I dug a hole with a screwdriver down through the open air vent to the bottom, and then injected resin.  I stood it on one end, then stood it on the other end and worked it by hand.  Then I attached a hose to the air vent, being careful that it was not going to get resin on the threads of the air vent, and sucked the air and a bit of excess resin out.  I added 100 grams to the weight, and there was no outside holes in the board!!  You could do this with a shop vac.  If so just attach the vac first and test out that it will pull it in.  I'm pretty sure it would work.  Oh yeah, and it has to be epoxy!!

Peter

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 11:37:10 PM »
Looks like the delay is surrounding the mount.
Do you think that the black mount has provided a hot spot and that’s why you didn’t notice it but it’s delammed during the drive home ?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 12:35:51 AM »
oof! and that's why not to use a stick on mount on a sup! most likely the mount started the delam and then once its starts and there is a air void it requires very little pressure for the delam to spread and as the glass lifts it spreads even faster as it is a peeling motion rather than just a even pressure.

The only way I can see you getting that board back to 100% reliable health is to strip the de lamed area feather back the edges and then re glass it all which essentially means the hole bottom of the board so unless you are doing it yourself would question the viability.

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 06:36:28 AM »
I am not surprised. The surface mounted (glued on) plate seemed like such a bad idea to me.  I mean, what better way to to delam the bottom of a board.  I think every board that has a surface mount will eventually end up like this.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 11:10:19 AM »
Any suggestions of what to do with this older board?
Coffee Table.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 09:05:57 PM »
Take the mount off and surf it. The delam is on the bottom, so it won't get worked as much. Should last for a while. Might surf funny, but give it a go. My Tilton Longboard had a huge delam on the bottom and it didn't change the characteristics much. Nothing else to do with it unless you feel like doing a serious DIY effort. The "inject epoxy" thing is unlikely to work.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 02:26:56 AM »
+1@Pono.
It might get better with cold weather, who knows.

Windsurfer's skin is usually much thicker than a SUP's .  might get a different result.

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 04:51:49 AM »
That mount looks so far forward, not the reason it delamed but if you fix it bring it back to about 23" to back of mast to the tail. It needs to be repaired so cut the board open and put in a large divinycell block and glass in a couple of chinook boxes. You have to be so careful with leg ropes , use a coiled or waist rope if it wraps around the mast you will delam or tear out your foil.
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard