Author Topic: SUP industry exposed?  (Read 26434 times)

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP industry exposed?
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2017, 09:04:19 AM »
I should have also added that I am looking for a board that I don't have to be so damn careful with to avoid getting dents and scratches, dings, etc. My Dominator can get scratched from just looking at it wrong :).....
Seriously thinking about a Red Paddle Race 14 with the new FFC stiffening system. I know the purists are going to say there is no comparison to a hard board....but again,  I am not a racer. The 14 X 25 Elite would certainly give me all the "balance challenge" I need for getting a good workout. And I hear that they are going to offer a 14 X 26 version....that might be the ticket....not cheap,  but not all that bad compared to some of the top name brand hard boards. :)
Eagle,  that Think board looks pretty cool,  but at 28 lbs isn't any lighter than my Bark....and, I have to wonder how fragile it is being a hollow carbon construction?
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2017, 09:31:26 AM »
But for me, racing is less than 1% of paddling, and the benefit to me of a race board is the challenge and enjoyment of paddling it outside of races.  In fact, I'd be faster in races on a wider board.  There's joy in having a light, fast, challenging, well-designed board that can be totally separate from racing.
^ Yup.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2017, 09:43:05 AM »
He couldn't believe anyone would buy an expensive race board for any reason other than to race it and get a competitive advantage through their pocketbook instead of through training or ability. 
Then they were ignorant....
^ Yup.
Fast is FUN!   8)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2017, 10:06:04 AM »
I should have also added that I am looking for a board that I don't have to be so damn careful with to avoid getting dents and scratches, dings, etc. My Dominator can get scratched from just looking at it wrong :).....

Eagle,  that Think board looks pretty cool,  but at 28 lbs isn't any lighter than my Bark....and, I have to wonder how fragile it is being a hollow carbon construction?
^ Yup.  That Dom was underbuilt.

The XOR I paddled a few times now -> is the designer's personal board he takes around to demos.  It is raced all the time and is maybe 4 yo.  If you took off the race stickers and polished it -> it would look near brand new.  Interestingly the hollow construction is very solid like his surfskis.  As well the board is oddly dampened sounding and does not slap into waves.  It slices them clean.

If I did not have the Dom -> would buy his demo from him.  The weight I did not feel was overly heavy.  More important to me is how well it paddled in slop and chop.  Had some initial roll but had very good secondary stability.  Only con for me was it was not stable at the tail like on the Dom.  Step back on that flat bottom and it completely stabilizes -> like standing on a dock.
Fast is FUN!   8)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2017, 10:27:27 AM »
Seriously thinking about a Red Paddle Race 14 with the new FFC stiffening system. I know the purists are going to say there is no comparison to a hard board....but again,  I am not a racer. The 14 X 25 Elite would certainly give me all the "balance challenge" I need for getting a good workout. And I hear that they are going to offer a 14 X 26 version....that might be the ticket....not cheap,  but not all that bad compared to some of the top name brand hard boards. :)

check out the Sunova Faast line, very competitive and durable.

safetyboy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2017, 05:45:08 PM »
Just a thought.  Maybe one way the companies can revive or increase their sales of raceboards would be to push the idea that they can be fun boards to paddle even if not actually racing.  If I were on a flat inland lake I would enjoy increased speed a a raceboard.  Also the slice though much better going upwind that a regular all around board.  And downwind?

Exactly right.  I am a perfect example.  I started to SUP only this summer.  Started on a 33" inflatable.  Quickly moved to a hard 30" because I wanted to go faster.  I am now pretty addicted to the feeling of gliding fast through the water, and I want more.  I will probably buy another "race-ish" board next summer, if I can find somewhere to demo them (and if I can convince my wife why I need ANOTHER SUP!), but I will probably actually race it only once or twice a year.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2017, 06:00:55 PM »
Quickly moved to a hard 30" because I wanted to go faster.  I am now pretty addicted to the feeling of gliding fast through the water, and I want more. I will probably buy another "race-ish" board next summer, if I can find somewhere to demo them (and if I can convince my wife why I need ANOTHER SUP!), but I will probably actually race it only once or twice a year.
Yeah that is a pretty normal progression.  But do not expect to convince your wife "why" you need another sup.  That could be tough.  What worked for me was to get a couple of boards for her to keep her preoccupied.  Then slipped in the AS one day when she was looking the other way.  ::)
Fast is FUN!   8)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2017, 06:29:32 PM »
connector14, Hydrus makes a 14' race board called the Mad Max that 24" or 22" wide. The also have a 14' X 26"board called the Elysium.

I interviewed these guys last year and they're a small shop out of Idaho. They have a make these boards out of a material they call armalite, which is supposed to be a lot stronger than your traditional build. You pay for that a little in weight. I can't vouch for the boards themselves, having never tried one, but they might be worth a look.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2017, 06:59:41 PM »
As long as most races have length limits there won't be an appreciable unlimited market except for downwinding.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2017, 11:29:05 AM »
As long as most races have length limits there won't be an appreciable unlimited market except for downwinding.
The Speedboard looks good on the ceiling of my garage though..... ;). Fast fun on flatwater but such a specialized board....I can't downwind it to save my life...of course I suck at DW though so there's that..... :P. I wonder how much the lack of unlimiteds for races hurt his business?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

safetyboy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2017, 04:42:20 PM »
But do not expect to convince your wife "why" you need another sup.  That could be tough.  What worked for me was to get a couple of boards for her to keep her preoccupied.  Then slipped in the AS one day when she was looking the other way.  ::)

At the moment she prefers to kayak.  That gives me an idea for a plan though:
  • Buy wife a new kayak.
  • Paddle a few times with her in the kayak.
  • Explain I need a faster board to keep up with her in the kayak!

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2017, 05:00:04 PM »
Seriously thinking about a Red Paddle Race 14 with the new FFC stiffening system. I know the purists are going to say there is no comparison to a hard board....but again,  I am not a racer. And I hear that they are going to offer a 14 X 26 version....that might be the ticket....not cheap,  but not all that bad compared to some of the top name brand hard boards. :)
If you're looking at 26" wide boards, you may want to check out the Hala Nass Carbon 14' as well. Stupid Stiff!
https://halagear.com/product/hala-nass-14-racing-expedition-inflatable-stand-up-paddle-board/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-48J5llff0c
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2017, 05:29:12 PM »
Makes sense that the industry overall has slowed down after 10 years of growth, but I don't think the inland market has quite peaked yet. I'm approximately an 8 hour drive from the coast and growth is still very apparent inland BC. Inflatables are becoming more popular, and all water composite boards are far and away the most popular boards. Big box store cheap, all water models are more popular in the last couple of years than ever before inland. I have seen an increase in river paddling from touring to white water recently as well. Small market, but definitely on the rise.
+1
I'm about 2 hours inland from SF. We have several local lakes and rivers in our backyard. SUP is just really starting to catch on and is growing relatively fast. With the migration of mainly millennials from the Bay area (due to rising living costs), they're now discovering our local lakes and rivers and adding to the fast growth. 
The demand/interest is mainly for inflatables largely because of their portability and storage ease. Most want to tour around or are fitness focused. Others are doing it for yoga or fishing. Whitewater (class 2-3+) is peaking some interest too, but it's still a VERY tiny crowd. We're also seeing some more getting into downriver running (class 1 at most) since we have a mellow river that runs through our city. The problem is the only shops around are REI, West Marine, Costco, and a few "boat" shops that dabble with SUP. And all of these shop's selections are either limited, not conducive, or simply suck imo. There are no specialty board sport shops locally, so most people I've met have purchased online or out of the area like in SF or Tahoe where you can find board sport shops that stock good brands and have inventory.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 05:30:49 PM by 2Rivers »
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2017, 10:04:48 AM »
But do not expect to convince your wife "why" you need another sup.  That could be tough.  What worked for me was to get a couple of boards for her to keep her preoccupied.  Then slipped in the AS one day when she was looking the other way.  ::)

At the moment she prefers to kayak.  That gives me an idea for a plan though:
  • Buy wife a new kayak.
  • Paddle a few times with her in the kayak.
  • Explain I need a faster board to keep up with her in the kayak!

^ That sounds like a really good reason for a faster board!
Fast is FUN!   8)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2017, 12:52:30 PM »
Very interesting article from John Beausang (Distressed Mullet)
http://distressedmullet.com/2017/10/13/dont-look-brands-step-event-able-stand/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal