Author Topic: SUP industry exposed?  (Read 26534 times)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP industry exposed?
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2017, 03:58:35 AM »
And as you also said - you wouldn't bother getting one?? Thats because you've never tried one and thats because they aren't readily available.

I've owned a 2014 Starboard Sprint and tried a 2016 Sprint so I know how good a flatwater board is. I can access any brands boards and had the chance to have one this year when I was with Naish. However, I've done plenty of data analysis which indicated to me that many flatwater events differ from each other so much to not always warrant their use. For example, some distance events are more of a time trial (with paddlers split up) whereas others are in packs for the whole length. In such cases, depending on the paddlers ability and fitness, I wouldn't always advocate all paddlers aim for the same type of board.

You'll disagree but I think the only real innovation I've seen in race board shaping in the last 3 years was Starboard's triple concave feature on race boards as this allowed racers to really drive down their widths another inch or two...... and this is coming from someone that does not have a formal relationship with any brand right now. The hollow ones (such as nelo's new board) is interesting (and I nearly applied for a team deal there) but the board is designed with speed in mind from a computer model, not what actually happens in races and when a human being of their target customer is paddling it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:01:46 AM by ukgm »

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2017, 03:59:43 AM »
I wanna see you in 24k Juliets next mag btw :D @ukgm

I didn't know what you meant then the penny dropped. That's a good spot ! In the next one we'll be looking at my enormous armspan  ;)

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2017, 06:46:23 AM »
As a person who has windsurfed from the 1980's to today,  and watched the sport decline greatly ...  What's the concern ?   Enough people will still do it so we can all buy boards.   Racing may not be on ESPN,  but local races will happen as long there is interest.   

This comment obviously doesn't apply if your on the sell or mfgr side of the business.

Going to the beach on a good windsurf day and no crowd is a good thing.  No parking issues.  As long as you got one friend to meet up with it's good.  Kiters usually have their own spot.  Yesterday was a big day in RI,  maxed out as maybe 4 windsurf and 4 kites OTW.  Sunrise session was four of us. 

JP

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2017, 09:37:30 AM »
"You'll disagree but I think the only real innovation I've seen in race board shaping in the last 3 years was Starboard's triple concave feature on race boards as this allowed racers to really drive down their widths another inch or two......"

^ The triple concave design is tippy yet stable yet fast.  An odd combination that somehow works.  Had another middle aged paddler hop on the AS23 yesterday and she stayed dry.  So kíds 10-25 yo up to 190 lbs as well as certain lean older paddlers around 50-60 can stay balanced and dry on flat.  Three have gotten up but tipped and fallen in.  All really balanced challenged have not even attempted to stand and stay on their knees.  So about 15 peeps so far have tried out my board and only 2 could not stand.  One female at 60 and one male at 75.  Not bad considering this is a 23.

But still most new paddlers round here simply get a cheap inflatable or hard board from Costco and such.  This past summer it was a little much with so many boards and kids splashing about.  But our neighborhood is undergoing a transformation to many new young families again.  Happens every 20 yrs or so.  So lots and lots of cheap boards -> but only 3 race boards.  Interestingly all 3 happen to be All Stars.  Mine - a 24.5 carbon - and a 24.5 hybrid.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:46:05 AM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2017, 01:03:45 PM »
Good read, the repair side of things is great  8) - There's really no middle market, people who know whats up know what they want and spend the money.  beginners want cheap boards to get on the water.
@rf.boardworks

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2017, 02:00:43 PM »
^perfect summary

Works for most sports.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2017, 12:31:53 PM »
If racing participation really is dropping off, and the demand for race boards along with it, does anyone think manufacturers might see unlimited boards as a market to move into?  It's a tiny market compared to the cheap board market, but on the other hand, there seems to be at least some people who already have 14' boards that are "good enough" for them, and not particularly interested in spending $2k or $3k on a marginally better new one, who might be tempted to get an unlimited board--that might work much better for their weight--than another 14'er.  So if companies still want to sell expensive boards, maybe that's where some future customers may be?

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2017, 02:05:15 PM »
Think some brands now have new UL boards -> so there must be some market for them.  But even tho we can get a near new UL for 50%+ off retail on CL we cannot justify getting another board.  Let alone an UL.  Just too little use for us.

But if we found 14s too small for our size or normal conditions -> would get one for sure.  Like if in Hawaii would have ULs for sure.
Fast is FUN!   8)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2017, 02:52:04 PM »
So why does Starboard, known for keeping boards that sell in its catalog, drop the Sprint 17'?

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2017, 03:58:39 PM »
SB apparently has a 18'1"x23 Sprint in its 2018 catalog.
Fast is FUN!   8)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2017, 05:17:51 PM »
Just a thought.  Maybe one way the companies can revive or increase their sales of raceboards would be to push the idea that they can be fun boards to paddle even if not actually racing.  If I were on a flat inland lake I would enjoy increased speed a a raceboard.  Also the slice though much better going upwind that a regular all around board.  And downwind? 

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2017, 08:54:06 PM »
I agree. Not everyone paddles just to race. I may not be a racer,  but I really enjoy trying to improve my speed and I am always interested in what new boards have to offer. I paddle in various conditions,  but must admit I really enjoy flat water paddling and the silent smooth glide of a race board such as the Bark Dominator. But I am now searching for something just a bit lighter and narrower that will be great on flat water,  but also decent when the wind comes up. Sometimes the joy is in the hunt.
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2017, 09:12:12 PM »
"I paddle in various conditions,  but must admit I really enjoy flat water paddling and the silent smooth glide of a race board such as the Bark Dominator. But I am now searching for something just a bit lighter and narrower that will be great on flat water,  but also decent when the wind comes up."

^ Not many boards I have tried are as silent and smooth as the Dominator.  The only one that has been better that way is the Think XOR.  Even more silent and more smooth if that is possible.  The con is that it rolls a bit more as the tail is not flat like the Dom.  But is crazy buttery smooth with its mega sharp and tall deep vee and more rounded tail.  Very fast efficient board similar in speed to an AS25 -> but probs faster over 5 miles.  Really nice hollow dampened board.  ;)

http://www.surfskisyndicate.com/sups/2016/2/6/think-xor-sup
Fast is FUN!   8)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2017, 09:43:28 PM »
Just a thought.  Maybe one way the companies can revive or increase their sales of raceboards would be to push the idea that they can be fun boards to paddle even if not actually racing.  If I were on a flat inland lake I would enjoy increased speed a a raceboard.  Also the slice though much better going upwind that a regular all around board.  And downwind?
It's certainly true for me, and I'm sure many people here.  I got a lot of flak from someone here once for saying that for a next board, I'd love one particularly fast, narrow board--narrower than my Javelin.  He couldn't believe anyone would buy an expensive race board for any reason other than to race it and get a competitive advantage through their pocketbook instead of through training or ability.  But for me, racing is less than 1% of paddling, and the benefit to me of a race board is the challenge and enjoyment of paddling it outside of races.  In fact, I'd be faster in races on a wider board.  There's joy in having a light, fast, challenging, well-designed board that can be totally separate from racing.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2017, 03:48:27 AM »
He couldn't believe anyone would buy an expensive race board for any reason other than to race it and get a competitive advantage through their pocketbook instead of through training or ability. 

Then they were ignorant. People buy such boards as they either want a physical challenge (Eagle on here with his well discussed All Star 23 width is a good example of this) or that they recognise that athletic performance is a symbiotic relationship between physiological stimulation and the equipment selected (and not with one in isolation from the other). If you want one, have one. The analogy I use in my lectures is that peak performance is purely about maximizing the assistive factors and reducing the resistive ones - and that in particular includes the use of technology.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:50:24 AM by ukgm »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard