Author Topic: SUP industry exposed?  (Read 26555 times)

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP industry exposed?
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2017, 06:31:20 AM »
Yuri, thanks for sharing. The Vogalonga seems awesome. 32 km around Venice without motorboats, the dream.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2017, 12:08:42 PM »
I was just talking to a SUP shop owner who organizes a few races here in San Diego. We started out talking about the poor turnout at the PPG and then about SUP racing in general. Our conclusion is that SUP racing is a poor viewing sport much like sailboat racing and to survive, they need to attract participants. The events need to make it fun and fair for the middle of the pack racers. Not sure how to do that, but without amateur racers, racing will fade to be only web-viewed events.

p.s. there is going to be an extreme sailing race in San Diego this weekend which will include foiling sailboats and kite surfing races.
We'll see how that  turns out.
https://sandiegoextremesailing.com/

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2017, 07:31:14 PM »
Are they races or just paddle events? I think growth in events that are focused on fun and not racing is possible. Far more folks interested in fun than racing. The Vogolonga looks awesome...in an insane way...which is the best kind of way.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2017, 07:39:16 PM »
Watching SUP racing is like watching someone paddle a SUP fast...... ;)

Seriously...outside of watching some of the battles around turns and beach break carnage there's little to no excitement. It certainly isn't exciting watching your average racers in a flatwater race crossing the finish line. If you watched 5 people in a group for a 1/2 mile paddling at a smoking 5+ mph and hardly changing places....would you go to watch again?

We should start doing the Late Summah Paddle again. I've had more people tell me they miss it than the races we did....The Late Summah was an end of summer costumed paddle to our "treasure island".....treasure was a cooler full of cold Wachusett brews. Followed by a party of course. Pic one from the Creek cam with his classic Cape Cod Surfer costume....a bunch of sharks taking bites.... :)...and yes that baywatch costume in the background is very disturbing.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 07:53:22 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2017, 01:19:39 PM »
Watching SUP racing is like watching someone paddle a SUP fast...... ;)

Seriously...outside of watching some of the battles around turns and beach break carnage there's little to no excitement. It certainly isn't exciting watching your average racers in a flatwater race crossing the finish line. If you watched 5 people in a group for a 1/2 mile paddling at a smoking 5+ mph and hardly changing places....would you go to watch again?

We should start doing the Late Summah Paddle again. I've had more people tell me they miss it than the races we did....The Late Summah was an end of summer costumed paddle to our "treasure island".....treasure was a cooler full of cold Wachusett brews. Followed by a party of course. Pic one from the Creek cam with his classic Cape Cod Surfer costume....a bunch of sharks taking bites.... :)...and yes that baywatch costume in the background is very disturbing.

That top pic needed a warning : )
Bunch of old shit

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2017, 01:58:17 PM »
And there is th3 ridiculous cost that some folks think can be justified.

The Three Bays wanted 115.00 slackers this year. Adios. That was more than the Shark Paddle, Newport Sup Cup, Susan Henseler, and Great Stone Dam Classic combined.

The races sponsored by NE Kayak and Canoe are much cheaper, really well run, and much more interesting.

There was a race early that was sponsored by the National Rowing Association. Total cost was gonna be 150.00 (you had to join the association in order to paddle 3 miles on sup in Provincetown Harbor). Hahaha!

I actually spent time going up the administration tree to ask questions. Anybody remember the old Lilly Tomlin Information Supervisor skit?
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2017, 02:50:31 PM »
And there is th3 ridiculous cost that some folks think can be justified.
Yep. I tried to "get into" the race scene for awhile. I did 3 or 4 races a year from 2013 to 2015, three seasons. It never hooked me. The last race I did was the Essex in 2015. I paid $50 bucks for a shitty tee shirt. No age or board categories. I was a 50 year old fat dude on a borrowed 12'6" competing against 20 and 30 year old dudes on unlimited 18' boards. Yeah right! F that. I can paddle on the Essex for free thank you very much. I am all done with that scene.
Bunch of old shit

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2017, 04:18:26 PM »
" :) ...and yes that baywatch costume in the background is very disturbing."

That pic was way too disturbing for prime time.

"Total cost was gonna be 150.00 (you had to join the association in order to paddle 3 miles on sup in Provincetown Harbor). Hahaha!"

Hmm?  Seems a tad silly.

"No age or board categories. I was a 50 year old fat dude on a borrowed 12'6" competing against 20 and 30 year old dudes on unlimited 18' boards. Yeah right! F that."

Perfect to bring in more peeps for sure.  ;D
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2017, 11:27:35 AM »

p.s. there is going to be an extreme sailing race in San Diego this weekend which will include foiling sailboats and kite surfing races.
We'll see how that  turns out.
https://sandiegoextremesailing.com/

Was there Saturday.  Fun time and some amazing sailing.  Missed the first kiteboard foil race but watched the 5 O clock race.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal