Author Topic: Let Downs...and Wash outs  (Read 3347 times)

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
Let Downs...and Wash outs
« on: October 05, 2017, 05:51:00 AM »
Emotional ones...

Just wondering how big a factor this is for the rest of you guys...

It was such a run of great surf on the East Coast for the month of September, that I really am having a bit trouble re-orienting to normal life....I am getting it done, not depressed, but definitely  disoriented

There are some areas where swell events have a predictability, but especially with Maria, breaks here were firing like they never have, and may never again.... consistently, for daze

I suppose it will pass...I windsurfed yesterday in some pretty fun  "Normal" conditions.   

The other thing that I was trying to pay attention to this year was the adrenaline washout which seems to hit me mid session on bigger days...you get all pumped and twitchy, but then after a few waves, the rhythm establishes itself, and somehow it can seem like a letdown no matter how good it is.

I guess I'm just grateful, but fascinated at all of the emotional aspect of it... I feel like I should change my perspective a bit

I do plan to go south this winter to do a little rebuilding.....I shoveled plenty of mud on Staten Island after Sandy, and it helped
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 05:54:18 AM by outcast »
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Let Downs...and Wash outs
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 05:59:21 AM »
I can understand you guys on the Cape feeling that. Me...I didn't get enough of it...and the last taste beat the shit out of me. Normal feels kind of good after that....like pulling on a warm sweater on a cold day.

I've never felt the letdown during a great session...just the opposite in fact. I'm very grateful to just be out there, if it's epic.....the glow lasts for days.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 06:21:29 AM »
Dooood, waves were great yesterday... sorry if you missed it!

I have to admit, I was grateful for the weekend off from waves, to reset my body parts, but happy to be back at it yesterday... when I rode 5 different boards in one session  ;D

Does look flat for the next week, but I have come to understand that gems are out there to be found..... even on a down week.

Pic #1 photo credit "Weed" ...of new SUP convert Ray Trautz!

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 08:36:09 AM »
Errrrrrrr.....you want to hear about a lack of waves!!

Best thing is to have a variety of hobbies/ sports up your sleeve

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 10:07:48 AM »
I hear ya,  you take it for granted after a while.   Definitely mending some pulled muscles right now, so a good rest.  Although I did stack 4 cords of wood in the last week.   Will surf the next decent day that comes up,  don't care if it's small.  Not really motivated to windsurf until there is some swell though. 

In the crazy month I got 2 windsurf days, 8 sup surf, and one supsail.   Three of the surf days and the supsail day will be in my memory for a long time. 

The spouses and employers just don't understand that every great day just makes you need the next one even more.  Having my son surfing now helped me get to the beach a few extra times this storm cycle.  Maybe not the breaks I would have gone solo,  but I did pretty well on a few of those family outings.

cheers,   JP

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 10:41:52 AM »
im 1099% jealous of everyone on the east coast that has a surfboard.

I caught the VERY beginning of Jose...and for the next 20 days traveled for work and when I wasn't... i was working till midnight in NYC. Oh- and put on 14 lbs.

i generally have a really amazing flexible schedule- and like clockwork...the best run of swell we have had in 10 years was my my absolute make it or break it for work for also the first time in 10 years.

Karma for skipping out of work to surf every "2-3ft Poor to fair' day for the last year.

I envy you guys.  Finally got wet for the first time this am in 30 days - Chitty 2 ft nothing mixed up windchop.....and you know what.....  it was still as awesome as any other time just to have an hour to float around think and think only about surfing. Stoked just to be wet and grateful.

(Then i got out and was pissed again :))

Cheers to the boy sthat hit it- I've loved all the stories and pictures

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 10:57:12 AM »
That sucks Jerz....sounds like my usual luck.

I need to get a sail for my boards. Both my 9-8 Element and the 12-6 Cruiser are setup for a sail...I even got footstraps with the Element. But I've never sailed either of them...shit! never windsurfed period.....one of these days I'll get around to it...of course I've been saying that for 10 years... ::)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 10:59:33 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 12:00:04 PM »
I apologize if my post sounded like a tweak...I totally get work and missing it etc....there are always great waves somewhere on this planet every day.

I just find myself abit stunned....at a landscape that changed from well "East Coast,"   to something unworldly......there have been other swells of good size, but the windows usually measured in hours not days/weeks.      Cape I don't think was "all-time"...not sure ..I was elsewhere...

but sounds like everyone is ready for another round, and I am still shook...I didn't get any serious beat downs ...the whole thing too detached
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 12:56:39 PM »
I'm pretty dazed at the run we've had for the last month...  and feeling guilty for having enjoyed it so much with the  destruction that was wrought. 

First came Gert which I had thought was the best hurricane-powered warm water swell to hit New York since Hermine a year ago. But that was then followed up by Tropical Cyclone 10 (which I got to surf with my cousin from Cali), Irma, Jose and then Maria as the cherry on top!  I was lucky enough to surf most of the best windows outside of the peak of Jose that came mid-week while I was finalizing a pitch.  As soon as that wrapped, my wife and I decided to take some time off and traveled to New England for the entire Maria swell.  Stoked I was able to both take time off and work flexible hours to surf 2-3 sessions a day all last week.  Was also thrilled to have met up with some other zoners over the course of the past few weeks. My wife was able to both charge some big surf with James Casey and learn to Foil with Alex Aguera and charged through most of the swell with the exception of the really big days...

I was fairly bruised and battered at the end of all of it and glad to have a little time to mend up. Though I didn't get seriously worked during the run, there were a couple time where I had to actually swim back up to the surface after being pushed deep and got humbled by clean up sets after some long paddles out to the lineup... 

Surfing small east coast wind-swell after that run was a little anti-climatic but I truly believe that any day on/in the water is a good one. 

A few pics from the past week... Creek, Eastbound and Crew representing.
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 02:03:02 PM »
I have to agree that it was both a blessing and a curse. I now remember what really good surf is like, and yet had almost forgot and was truly enjoying 2' slop prior to the swells. I have been a bit grumpy and keep day dreaming about those few rides that were better than anything I've experienced before. But that's what keeps us going on the east coast. It's like training for a big game, dealing with the pain and practice then the game comes. All of the practice pays off and you kill it. I was just happy I put in all the time I have leading up to our fortunate weeks so I could really enjoy it. I've been surfing for 20 years but have been suping for just over 1 year. More fun in good waves on my 10' laird than i ever had on a longboard. New stoke has been formed with the swells and I really want more now!!

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 05:43:44 PM »
Nice "Maria" side effect....

My shoulder has been super tweaked since June.
Couldn't sleep, couldn't lift a fork to my mouth after a session.
I had quit all flat-water paddling for 4 months because I needed my shoulder to function for surf.

After many beatings from Maria's 14 sec swell's last week.... my shoulder feels amazingly better!
I think something got yanked back into place ;D  ;D ;D

I have paddled the last two days and surfed puny little waves..... and eating is a breeze again!

Thanks Maria.... in so many ways.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 05:58:08 PM »
Nice "Maria" side effect....

My shoulder has been super tweaked since June.
Couldn't sleep, couldn't lift a fork to my mouth after a session.
I had quit all flat-water paddling for 4 months because I needed my shoulder to function for surf.

After many beatings from Maria's 14 sec swell's last week.... my shoulder feels amazingly better!
I think something got yanked back into place ;D  ;D ;D

I have paddled the last two days and surfed puny little waves..... and eating is a breeze again!

Thanks Maria.... in so many ways.

So glad to hear that you're up and paddling (and eating) again!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal