Author Topic: Can you reshape a SUP?  (Read 7667 times)

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can you reshape a SUP?
« on: September 28, 2017, 07:22:59 AM »
Rather odd question perhaps but there's sense in the madness.

I have a Starboard Widepoint 11'2" which has delaminated near the nose. This is a warranty issue and is currently being addressed with Starboard via the dealer I purchased the board from. Now Starboard have asked for lots of photos and even request I cut a hole in the delaminated area and photograph that. That's done.

Now they're requesting that I cut the board in half and photograph that for them. Not sure why exactly but I may (I cant see them wanting the board back in two pieces) end up with two bits of a SUP to dispose of. Kind of a waste I thought. So I was thinking of chopping the nose off, through the delaminated area and photograph that for them.

I was then wondering if it's possible to do something with the big bit left over. It'll be way over 8 feet long and might, long shot, but might make a nice little surf SUP or board for the little one when he's a little older.

Thoughts anyone? Anyone had any similar experiences and would greatly appreciate any advice on what's possible

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can you reshape a SUP?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 08:18:41 AM »
Anything is possible if you have some shaping skills or are willing to just go for it. The latter is what we like.
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,21335.0.html
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 08:26:57 AM »
Anything is possible if you have some shaping skills or are willing to just go for it. The latter is what we like.
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,21335.0.html

Cheers. Definitely willing to give it a go. Such a shame to just bin it when there might be something very very useful that can come from it. Plus Starboard owe me for a weekend of lost SUPing. I dont get many chances and this binned another opportunity.

I've seen a couple of vids now on surf board / SUP repairs including one that had snapped in half. So I'm encouraged by what might be possible.

I'll try and get a few pictures together to see what people's thoughts are on here including what might be feasible.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 06:35:31 PM »
I've stripped and reglassed a much smaller board made of poly foam which is way more rigid than EPS. I'll never do it again. Blanks are too cheap.

I'd say cut it and then put it back together but reshaping the back 8' of a board into something to stand up paddle seems like a lot of work. (Unless you wanted to make a weird foil board out of it.)

The foam is only worth $100 or so. But, that said, I've done sillier things. See what you can do. We will cheer you on and answer questions.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 06:42:49 PM »
Yeah, what the hell. I'd make a chopped nose board out of it. Leave the tail and rails as they are and just smooth out and tuck the nose.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 07:54:56 PM »
...Now they're requesting that I cut the board in half and photograph that for them. Not sure why exactly but I may (I cant see them wanting the board back in two pieces) end up with two bits of a SUP to dispose of. Kind of a waste I thought...

It does seem wasteful but that appears to be the industry standard for dealing with returns.  Suggest you get clarification from them that they are sending you a replacement.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 08:13:34 PM »
There was a guy who I used to see at SanO with an older starboard 10' ish board with about a foot broken off the nose. So was probably around 9' or less. He used some spray foam to make the busted off edge not so sharp, and glassed it all bumpy and clear. It was fugly and asymmetrical, but he just kept surfing it. He said it surfed better than it did before ;D
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Big~Dave

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 11:21:00 PM »
Cut the board in half and send a picture...Sounds like their way of making sure you will not be using the board again and your not just pulling a fast one on them cheaper then mailing it back....When I use to deal with fish we would on occasion get some dead ones ..industry standard for replacement or refund was to cut the heads off and send pics.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 12:58:51 AM »
Rather odd question perhaps but there's sense in the madness.

I have a Starboard Widepoint 11'2" which has delaminated near the nose. This is a warranty issue and is currently being addressed with Starboard via the dealer I purchased the board from. Now Starboard have asked for lots of photos and even request I cut a hole in the delaminated area and photograph that. That's done.

Now they're requesting that I cut the board in half and photograph that for them. Not sure why exactly but I may (I cant see them wanting the board back in two pieces) end up with two bits of a SUP to dispose of. Kind of a waste I thought. So I was thinking of chopping the nose off, through the delaminated area and photograph that for them.

I was then wondering if it's possible to do something with the big bit left over. It'll be way over 8 feet long and might, long shot, but might make a nice little surf SUP or board for the little one when he's a little older.

Thoughts anyone? Anyone had any similar experiences and would greatly appreciate any advice on what's possible

Its to make sure you don't try and sell the board on for profit or to keep using  a defective board when you have a new one on the way. I had to warranty my Naish One inflatable earlier this year and they made me run shears right through the middle of it and send them a photo (as well as sending back the valve).

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 06:11:35 AM »
Hi all and thanks for the replies.

yes speaking to the dealer it's basically so the board isn't used on the water again. Brutal but understandable. They will ship out another board. So I'll have to get the saw out.

I'll post some very sad pictures when done and start looking at options for converting it into something else. A smaller board for me or the little one will be a welcome addition.

Not 100% sure how to go about it yet. I suspect the EPS core will just shred when I touch it with a sander or something.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 06:58:27 AM »
Glue it back together with Gorilla Glue and use it as the backsplash for an outdoor shower. You can make up a great story to explain the glue line.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 08:06:24 AM »
two boogie boards for local kids...... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 08:54:44 AM »
Just because a bulldog can whip a skunk does not mean it should.(channeling my inner okie)

Cut it in half maybe with a nice shark bite cut out and hang it behind the bar.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 03:18:15 PM »
Do what they requested. Cut in two........ right down the middle longways down the board and take pictures......Glue a stringer in fix the delam.....done. Note......I really have no idea what I am talking about. Never done a major repair.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

BrownSugah

• Malibu Status
  • Like Pahhtay wit me ?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 03:29:25 PM »
saw this from Sam Pae but basically could do the same thing with what ever cut you had to make because of the factory return
ALOHA

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal