Author Topic: Can you reshape a SUP?  (Read 7716 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can you reshape a SUP?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 04:40:56 PM »
F*ck that noise! Just photoshop the board as chopped and move along.
in progress...

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 02:07:37 AM »
Hi All

I'm back and still looking at my options here. Long story short I had to cut the damaged board and after a few wranglings which took far too long I've got my money back and I'll never buy a new Starboard again.

So I'm back in the market for a new board and I'm leaning towards the JP Fusion 9' 8" which feels like a decent option for me right now. A board that will get me back on the water and get me catching waves with room to grow.

But I still have this lump in the garage which I could bin but my inclination to fiddle is always there.

I short, when I cut the board I only cut off about 2-3 feet off the nose. So I've basically got an 8'6" long rear section of a Widepoint with the nose cut square. I'll post a picture up when I get a chance.

So question is are there any suggestions for reshaping the nose of this contraption into something that

a) Might actually catch a wave or two
b) Ultimately might partner the new JP Fusion

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2018, 03:10:22 AM »
Especially if you made a clean cut, you could very definitely put it back together again.  Treating it like a complete snap is easier than trying to make a shorter board.  Going shorter would mean not only dealing with the nose "shape" but also a radical change in the rocker.  The link below is for a soft top but gives you a good idea of the process.

http://www.boardlady.com/softsnap.htm
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 03:13:48 AM by Bean »

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 06:16:55 AM »
Why thank you old Bean  ;D

Good suggestion and yes, the cut is very clean as I cut it with a saw. Heartbreaking to be honest

Other than the size and weight I did like the board so there's a lot of sense in your suggestion.

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2018, 06:41:02 AM »
Noo Noo
   There's kind of a nice surf movie called Drift (Now on Netflix) , and it goes thru all the reshaping thing as part of the story line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGEwsKORMQ8

You definitely could reshape, but...
1. Messy unless you are "Experienced"....More money than you think for a One-off
2. EPS is not much fun to shape
3. You'll need much more rocker in the nose than you will get if you just glass off (as Bean stated)...so you would probably have to remove glass at least another foot or so back then taper etc.
4.  Kinda screaming  7 'foil board to me....but now you're into 20 hours+  and for what...you got money back....best to let go...find some kid to burden

Coffee table?

Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2018, 06:55:01 AM »
If you take Eva's approach, you can substitue gorilla glue where she uses 2 part urethane and of course you will not have any of the EVA softpad to deal with.  I would even follow suit and do a contrast band (spray paint) to wrap things up.

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2018, 08:35:53 AM »
Noo Noo
   There's kind of a nice surf movie called Drift (Now on Netflix) , and it goes thru all the reshaping thing as part of the story line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGEwsKORMQ8

You definitely could reshape, but...
1. Messy unless you are "Experienced"....More money than you think for a One-off
2. EPS is not much fun to shape
3. You'll need much more rocker in the nose than you will get if you just glass off (as Bean stated)...so you would probably have to remove glass at least another foot or so back then taper etc.
4.  Kinda screaming  7 'foil board to me....but now you're into 20 hours+  and for what...you got money back....best to let go...find some kid to burden

Coffee table?

Completely agree, there's naff all sense to the idea whatsoever other than feeding my curiosity.

And I agree on the rocker front but I had in mind stripping back the glass and adding another piece of EPS on top before shaping and new glass.

Plus if I wanted to shape it into a more traditional rounded / pointy surf nose I'd probably have to strip a good bit more than a foot of glass off it. Just to accommodate the new shape.

Bonus is, I'm in no rush here, I've got plenty on my plate as it is already. If it happens it happens if not it can go in the skip later. Just pondering what can be achieved and ideas on shape at the moment.

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2018, 08:36:32 AM »
If you take Eva's approach, you can substitue gorilla glue where she uses 2 part urethane and of course you will not have any of the EVA softpad to deal with.  I would even follow suit and do a contrast band (spray paint) to wrap things up.

Cheers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal