Author Topic: Makani Kawa Fin review  (Read 2808 times)

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
Makani Kawa Fin review
« on: September 27, 2017, 09:34:05 AM »
I always like to tinker and modify my equipment but for a Sup board there is. It much you can do. I decided that I will try out a few different fins to see what kind of change I get.

My testing platform is a Jimmy Lewis Rail 26.5*14 . The second fin I am testing is a Makani Kawa fin as I wanted to see the difference compared to the Tere. I put it on and immediately felt that the board was even more stable. My upwind speed was about .1-.3 mph faster than the stock fin. Downwind was about the same gain but catching a bump was slightly easier compared to stock. Stability was incredible and I found myself catching myself many times in situations that the stock fin would have allowed the board to roll faster/more and I would have fallen in. When doing a pivot turn I am a more stable and turns are still much faster than Stock. The stock fin did not like turning so this is a great improvement.

I tested in side chop and side wind and tracking and stability was increased compared to the stock fin. I also found that I was again .1-.2 mph faster unless the bumps were bigger and then I had a greater increase as I did not have to work as hard stabilizing the board.
The Makani is over 2 mm narrower than the stock fin and is a much smaller surface area. The base is about the same size so the loss in area is all on the back of the fin.  I think much of the speed gain is due to the small overall width and change in the foil shape.

Overall this change was great and it is going to be hard to take off a fin I am so happy with to test another but the water is still warm so it is the best time to do this. Up next I will test the Roto fin.
SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Makani Kawa Fin review
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 04:25:21 PM »