Author Topic: 12' Atlantis Venom - Surfboard Warehouse - Australia  (Read 10007 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
12' Atlantis Venom - Surfboard Warehouse - Australia
« on: September 22, 2017, 07:56:41 AM »
Hot diggity!  This is just the sort of syringe this old addict needed.

I've had a couple of 'all-rounders', a maybe racer and a plastic sidewalk called a Tahoe Rubicon.  I had a Woodie Laird, 12' for about a month that came in at 38lbs (17kg).  An 11' Naish Nalu that felt pretty close to that...   A Surftech J-M, 12' (the maybe racer) had large-scale dandruff. (I had to paint and sticker the hell out of it to make it presentable for re-sale)  The Tahoe was OK but was mostly like an old dog that didn't bark or wag its tail.

This is full Carbon (Woooooooo!) and enters the ring at 28lb (13kg) ..the same as my 10-6.  For me, it's narrow at 28-7/8s" (70cm) It's 4-3/4" (12cm) thick.  No volume specified  ...I'd rather know this than thickness.

You can rig it as a Thruster, Quad, Single or Quad-nubster.

Deck pad does not seem as grippy as some others, but there is a full stomp pad at the rear — I hope to reach one day. I like the aesthetics. Neon green is a great color on the water; I am liking color again.   Deep ledge handle ...my favorite.
Twin leash plugs — bueno.

\

Check the nose kick.  Does it make this a 10' board in a practical sense?  Tail kick - check!  For me, this is a real all-arounder; that suits —my surf bias— perfectly.

\

Does it pass the: 'Does it look good in transit test?'  Yes, with the exception of the Tahoe - they all did!

Did I rush out and challenge Hurricane Jose?  Hell no, it's a washing machine out there.   But I did spend an hour on the flats.  Either I am getting better (nah..) or it is faster than my old J-M racer; it motors.  It is a lot easier to keep your paddle vertical with a more narrow board. I was pleasantly surprised that it did not flick me off once.  The multi-swell movement in the ocean will be the big test. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

supthecreek

Re: 12' Atlantis Venom - Surfboard Warehouse - Australia
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 08:15:39 AM »
Man, that is beautiful Mr Jimmy... love the color!
So glad it arrived safe and sound.... you are stoked!!!!

This is not your average surfer... it will not turn from the middle.
Prepare to stand on that Stomper to turn it.
When riding my 14'r, my front foot is 3-4' behind the handle.... until I did this, I simply fell on my face.

I can't wait to see it! I need a road trip down south in November. Maybe I won't come back till May... June.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 09:26:10 AM »
That is one fine looking board in those colors. That Venom is a "looker" for sure. I know you'll enjoy this new addition to your quiver. BTW, I found a video of it in those colors and in all carbon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UIagBeC39I

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 11:18:06 AM »
Thanks, guys....   Ya, Creek your video on the Search was the final motivator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXnQwDf3Elg

....maybe not the final.  When the Venom went on sale in the middle of their winter, I had a friend snag it for me.  It cost a little over U$700. I am obsessively value conscious (cheap) so if this had been blood red with a horror film paint job, I'd still have snagged it

'Got to give it to this Tim Burleigh fellow at Surfboard Warehouse. (not 'windsurf warehouse')  He's built a small empire with seven stores and a staff of 55.  Rather than being at the mercy of big brand names, he's vertical, yet also smart enough to carry some names like Rusty, Firewire, etc.  I also have one of their little scooters, a 7-6 Bam Bam.

Thanks, N-W...  Another reason I simply had to get an Atlantis Venom was any board that could handle whitewater is something I really needed.

I am clearcoating it at the moment and will show the rail profiles when I can.  Cheers.   

Jim

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 12:22:35 PM »
That last photo with the board going ballistic (vertical) in the whitewater. That is some "SERIOUS" whitewater!
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 03:55:42 PM »
tis a nice board  ;)

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 04:51:20 PM »
Nice, when I saw those on sale I tired to work out a way to get one to me in Hawaii. Never worked out a reasonable ship rate but they seemed like a nice board for the money.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 08:50:52 PM »
It is also the first 12' narrow sup (at least I think it is 12') that comes with a 5 fin setup.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 11:28:47 PM »
Love that board.

What's the thinking behind clear coating it?
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 03:09:48 PM »
Exiled...  I plan on doing a share-post on 'importing'.  This is like my fourth. Preview: Importation is like some forms of cancer; the odds are not in your favor.

Dusky...  I've had a number of boards that came from the Cobra factory that had a semi-porous finish.  In particular, the two Starboard Allwaves I had were prone to staining. Both were used, as were a couple of Naish, so it's perhaps a matter of aging?   

The finish on this Atlantis SUP is really flat.  ..not only will it look 'more finished' to my eye, there's a UV component to this clear that may help the Neon stay Neon.  It's shot, 'just needs a cure and buff.

Jim

GusD

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 11:33:48 PM »
Good idea on the clear coat. I picked one up last year as I was doing a road trip (the surfboard warehouse is about 1000 kilometres, or 600 miles, away from where I live) and then it sat on the roof of the car for the remainder of the trip, being about a week in the Australian Summer sun. Well and truly lost that neon look. But It doesn't upset me. Great board. Have had it out in huge surf, tiny surf, and even a howling downwinder (which was incredibly fun having a board you could surf rather than a race board)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 02:08:55 PM »
Where are you surfing going over the whitewater in front of that city? 

GusD

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 07:52:28 PM »
Where are you surfing going over the whitewater in front of that city?

Probably the Gold Coast in Australia. I'm guessing he's surfing at Kirra or thereabouts (further down the line from Snapper Rocks where the Quicksilver Pro is held). Those buildings in the background are about 20 kilometres away (or 13 miles) but appear closer because of the camera's depth effect

Wazza66

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 02:24:41 AM »
I have one the Venoms and surf it at the Alley on the Gold Coast which is a super fun ride hand point break .

The pic of the whitewater is here at the Currumbin Alley , Gold Coast a while back. I remember it well as I surfed that swell on my 12 ft PSH gun which is very similar in shape but much heavier.

The Venom being carbon is very light , but is really easy to surf set up as a quad.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 12:54:42 PM »
I like this board  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal