Author Topic: Sup Handles can be dangerous WARNING!!!  (Read 13557 times)

Supnazi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Sup Handles can be dangerous WARNING!!!
« on: September 21, 2017, 01:40:49 PM »
Hey Fellow Suppers, Just got back in the water a few weeks ago, Sprained my ankle and broke my leg in big surf on one of my SUP's back in April. Got my right foot caught in the handle hole on a big drop 6ft + day. (I'm Goofy foot) twisted my ankle, bailed over the falls and the board hit me on the leg. Not a good day in the line-up. Anyways still in ankle brace when I go out. Be careful of those Handle holes... Aloha.
NO SUPS FOR YOU !!....
I only go left....

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sup Handles can be dangerous WARNING!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 04:24:28 PM »
Bummer dude. The only surf sup boards I have with handles, the handles are so small I can barely get my fingers let alone toes in them. What kind of handle is it?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 04:47:10 PM »
This is the reason I like how the liftSUP handles cover the gap. I've only ever tweaked a pinkie toe, but most handles make me a little paranoid now.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 05:10:53 PM »
You've missed a just about all of the late Spring and Summer sup session. At least you're back on the water now. I hope when I get back on the water and it looks like it won't be anytime in 2017, I'll pay attention to my carry handle and my toes.

Thanks for the warning.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 05:43:06 PM »
Although the topic comes up every now and then, that's the first actual handle injury I've heard of.

I'd call it a freak accident. I don't think you need to worry about it happening again. The odds would be astronomical.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 06:13:51 PM »
Well that sucks....definitely bad luck...freak accident but like everyone I want to know what kind of handle.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 07:02:35 PM »
SupNazi,
Welcome to the club.
I have been water skiing the slalom course 2-3 times a week during the spring, summer and fall for the past 18 years. Had a great pass going at short line with every turn going perfect and then at the 4 ball it wasn't.  Hit the wake at an angle while falling and my back foot came out, front foot stayed and the ski turned into a lever arm.  Broke my ankle and had surgery a week ago. Out for 3-4 months at least.  I have taken some bad falls, but nothing like this.  I still ask myself how everything could be going so perfect and then in an instant not. 
The worst part was the timing.  I had just picked up a new foil and was hoping to mount it to a wakesurfboard and get some wake foiling behind the boat this fall.

Glad to hear you are back in the water. 
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 07:06:24 PM »
Get well soon Disco

Supnazi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 05:59:38 AM »
The handle that bit me was a was a standard recessed with the molded finger grooves on my Focus Torpedo, I normally take off with my foot forward of the handle hole, but on this occasion I was standing behind the handle because the take off was rather steep and going backside down the face, the nose of the board started to pearl and my foot slipped forward somehow and the rest is history. Anyways stuff happens...Aloha
NO SUPS FOR YOU !!....
I only go left....

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 06:56:18 AM »
I've heard of a couple broken toes but this is the 1st I've heard of this level of injury from a handle....very bad luck.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 07:47:03 AM »
Anyways stuff happens...Aloha

It sure does SN.  Just got out of my CAM boot this week from a sprain and minor hairline fracture resulting from what should have been a very inconsequential dismount in shallow water. 

It will feel great when you get back out, hope you heal up fast! 

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 08:15:48 AM »
I had one board that everytime I bottom turned, my big toe would be hanging right over the handle hole.

I made this little foam insert that I would slip into the slot after I paddled out. Problem was solved.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 08:46:39 AM »
I made this little foam insert that I would slip into the slot after I paddled out. Problem was solved.

That small piece of modified cut foam is a GREAT tip. So simple, but so effective.

Thanks for sharing the tip and photo.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 07:30:58 PM »
You don't wanna see my toes. I get constant shit about them from all these loons in Maui. Thirty years of windsurfing (oh, wait, 45). Lots of toes taped to each other so I could go back out. Every longtime windsurfer knows the feeling. You look down to see what's dragging and see one toe pointing straight up. Oh, damn, got to go duct tape that.  Breaking stuff in a handle is called a freak accident. Breaking stuff with foot straps and 50hp worth of sail is called "Tuesday".
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 07:33:08 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal