Author Topic: The future of the NFL, is there one?  (Read 16600 times)

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
The future of the NFL, is there one?
« on: September 21, 2017, 10:36:59 AM »
Empty seats are killing the NFL, I see 3 reasons, politics entering the game (taking a knee), owner's lack of taking the home fans seriously (teams moving), and concussions (CTE).  Tonight should be a great game between two former serious rivals, the LA Rams and the SF 49ers, but they are having a hard time selling tickets, you can now get them for $14 ea. at one of the most modern stadiums in the league, Levi Stadium. 
Neither team is all that good, in fact not very good, but that used to not make a difference to true fans of any team, so I can't count that as being a very good reason, it's all the other stuff that's happening.  The sad part is that I think all 3 of those main reasons could be rectified, but I don't see that happening any time soon.
The whole thing is a bummer.
It takes a quiver to do that.

ericmichaels

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: The future of the NFL, is there one?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 11:05:46 AM »
I for one am watching less and am interested less for just the reasons you state. I just don't find it as enjoyable watching them bash each other's brains in now that I know they are really bashing each other's brains.
But really, you have already concluded empty seats in a couple stadiums for a couple weeks is "killing" the NFL. Going to take a lot more than that to kill it. Sure, lessen it, damage it but kill it is kind of overboard.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 11:07:22 AM »
Seeing games live is an anachronism. I want to go see an F1 race, but I understand that the experience is what I want, not the event. I get a much better view in my man cave. When giant screens went up at stadiums and race tracks it was a simple acknowledgment that the event is better when it's covered by twenty cameras and advanced graphics than when viewed from the owner's box.

The entire "taking a knee" nonsense is the fad version of patriotism. People who ten years ago would go about their business when the anthem plays are now glaring around to make sure everyone is standing and paying attention. It's sad bullshit. Flags and songs--we're not supposed to be about that. We're supposed to be about freedom. When I hear some military leader render some dickhead opinion it's even sadder. All military people swear to uphold the constitution. It's four pages, less than 5000 words. Everyone with their panties in knot over trivia should give it a read so they have some understanding of what we are defending and upholding.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:16:29 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 11:20:32 AM »
Personally, I haven’t watched or cared about the NFL for a long time.  Same thing with the majority of my friends.  I would rather go see an amateur rugby game in a local park for free then spend a dollar to watch an NFL or even a college football game.  There are even a couple bars in my neighborhood that unofficially advertise the fact they don’t show football games on weekends and they get packed.  It’s nice to have a place to go get a good craft beer and not only is there no football on the tv, we are not in the presence of obnoxious fans.  And they show the Tour De France.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:28:21 AM by surf4food »

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 11:27:15 AM »

And yeah I agree with PB the knee thing has nothing to do with attendance on either side of the issue.  I'm a retired Navy vet and get a chuckle over people who are so upset at the knee thing.

On separate note, ticket prices are a huge factor.  Despite 14 dollars for the game you mentioned, that is not the norm.  The # of people who can afford a game is rapidly dwindling. 

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 11:33:45 AM »
S4F, I'd like to know where the places are without NFL TV. My wife and I have a hard time going out for lunch on Sundays because we want to eat and talk, not watch and cheer about football.

There was a report on the news about the decline of football in schools, I think it was down 20%. The parents are steering their kids towards soccer and other sports because of concussions and other dangers.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 11:40:56 AM »
The CTE treat is definitely shrinking the "farm system", if I has a son in high school, I wouldn't want him to play football, there are other safer team sports, but I'd first show him how to surf.
It takes a quiver to do that.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 11:43:55 AM »
S4F, I'd like to know where the places are without NFL TV. My wife and I have a hard time going out for lunch on Sundays because we want to eat and talk, not watch and cheer about football.

There was a report on the news about the decline of football in schools, I think it was down 20%. The parents are steering their kids towards soccer and other sports because of concussions and other dangers.
The Small Bar in University Heights.  It's at the northern end of Park Blvd.  Sort of across the street from Lancers.  Good brunch and best bloody marys in SD.  The other is The Whistle Stop in South Park on Fern St.  WS doesn't have food though but there are plenty of options surrounding it and you can bring food in.  Come to think of it, just down the street from the WS is The Station (used to be Snippy's).  Very good burgers and I don't recall ever seeing football on when ever I was there. 

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 12:04:41 PM »
Back to the subject of dwindling NFL attendance, there are many reasons that go beyond politics.  I fully agree with the owners not caring about the fans as being a big one and also the concussions.  As I mentioned before I think inanely high ticket prices and the growing # of people who just can’t afford them is a big factor.  Also I think the popularity of the game is just not as big as it used to be.  There are probably several reasons for that with concussions as being one of them.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 12:11:47 PM »
There's also oversaturation and overhyping of NFL in the media. Anytime an NFL player farts it's big news on the sports networks. Whenever someone speculates about someone else speculating about the NFL it's hyped up. Months of deflategate stories as if it were a national crisis. I could go on and on....

Sundays are best for SUP surfing!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 12:13:26 PM by SaMoSUP »

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 12:38:25 PM »
There are empty seats in some stadiums but in others like here in New england it’s sold out as usual no matter what the ticket prices are or who the teams are pkaying.

I would agree that TV viewership is declining as your seeing that in revenue reports.

It most likely has somewhat to do with the politics but also the game itself, bad officiating, bad commissioner decisions, players committing crimes and barely being fined or suspended, other players being fined and suspended for ridiculous things, changes to rules are ruining the game, etc etc.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 01:08:52 PM »
There's also oversaturation and overhyping of NFL in the media. Anytime an NFL player farts it's big news on the sports networks. Whenever someone speculates about someone else speculating about the NFL it's hyped up. Months of deflategate stories as if it were a national crisis. I could go on and on....

Sundays are best for SUP surfing!

Exactly. I got sick of seeing it and hearing about it 24/7 years ago.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 01:49:35 PM »
my  slant on bad officiating  is they made  the  rules  too ridged and technical .  You  can't  be sure  even with stop action  replay cameras . 

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 05:47:10 PM »
Maybe the general population is finally losing interest in team sports. I couldn't care less about the NFL.    ::)

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 05:58:46 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 06:05:34 PM »
NFL was the only pro team sport I've followed for years....and now that's dwindling. Combination of all of the above.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal