Author Topic: Clearwater Foil builds?  (Read 8568 times)

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Clearwater Foil builds?
« on: September 19, 2017, 04:45:59 PM »
So I noticed that they officially had SUP spec foil fits at https://www.clearwaterfoils.com/

Has anyone done one of their builds yet? Have you been happy with the results?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Clearwater Foil builds?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 05:59:53 PM »
Dude, I've been paralyzed trying to decide which foil type to build. I need to just get off my ass. UK says to not buy this thing but I'm wondering if it's not a good way to find out what I hate lol.

One of us is gonna have to build one, I guess it can be me. Also, someone's gonna have to pull the trigger on one of those Chinese foils too..

Anyone got any reason why we should try one of these kits, other than the $125 for some kindling? (Honestly I really need a place to start and if that guy saves me an hour or two of grinding and sanding, I'm down.

I am concerned they aren't thick enough and I'm worried they are flat. But half of me says that to get started that doesn't really matter.

I'm also fairly sure I could hack on another wing if this one does do anything more than let me train behind a boat.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 06:00:44 PM »
Forgot to tell you, I emailed the kid asking him if he had any video of one in the surf. Fairly sure he doesn't live anywhere near a beach.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 11:04:54 PM »
I built a couple of the standard kits, but I did them in carbon. Yeah, the foil profile is pretty flat, I doubt it would really work for sup, even with a substantially larger area. And yes, they're a bit expensive for a couple of pieces of shaped plywood, but not horrible. the geezer foil's front wing is made from the front wing of a clearwater kit and mast.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 09:05:21 AM »
That's what I was wondering, his test is moving pretty fast behind that boat, way more speed than I'm looking to do.

I'm starting a thread about a wood build and design.  I'd considered laminating a piece onto the bottom of one of his surf foils to get it to 1.5 inches but really, once you've done that, you're almost to a new build.

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 11:35:35 AM »
Here's a cheap way to find out: One on CL SoCal for $275.00:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/foilboard-sup-stand-up-paddle/6338037084.html

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 05:34:04 PM »
His ad says it all, "used it behind a boat while I learned." That's all I needed. back to DIY.

Besides, the shape shack regulars would never let me live it down if I didn't burn a little resin for the sake of the zone and science. I might even bag a bug in it in honor of BigGreen. (Still my favorite thing. I laugh and think of his posts every time I glass outside.)

oldfartsuperdad

• Malibu Status
  • Its All About the Journey - Duh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 09:07:32 AM »
Here is a Clearwater build attached to my L41.  Some towing experience and it does work - was able to fly it for long distance on the lake.  Only one ratty surf session and I need more time to dial it in...especially getting the angle relative to the board adjusted.   Also elected to shorten the mast which may have been a mistake as it reduces the "flying zone" before the wing breaches the surface.   Hopefully more to come this winter when we get some clean small surf out at the coast.
SIC Bullet V2 14
Custom L41 S3 8.4  145 L
Sunova Creek 9.4 148ltr

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 09:59:54 AM »
Ah! Finally. (And just in time as I'm starting to try to cut foam wings today.)

Ok, so questions. Is this the surf version?

What's speed is the boat going when you lift?

Were you able to get lift on your surf session?

Good call on the mast length, what length did you do? I'm thinking 18" but considering 24". Not sure. Probably will end up building 2 before things are dialed so maybe one of each. I can see low being good for boat training.

oldfartsuperdad

• Malibu Status
  • Its All About the Journey - Duh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 10:35:53 AM »
Hi surfcowboy

Yep this is the larger SUP version.  lifted at 8 to 10mph on the boat.  These sessions took quite a bit of back pressure to get the wing flying - subsequently, I added spacers to increase the angle of attack as there is quite a bit or rear rocker on the board.  This helped immensely.  The surf session was short but I did get the board to lift and also had the wing fly out of the water a few times which produced spectacular wipeouts!  Mast is cut to 18in...probably easier to balance but I think it may not provide enough "room" to work it when up and flying.  I may end up glassing in an extension to 24in soon.

I don't think the wing section is near as efficient as the big guys on the market but it was a cheap experiment and I already had the finishing materials.  Fun to build.

Good luck with yours!   
SIC Bullet V2 14
Custom L41 S3 8.4  145 L
Sunova Creek 9.4 148ltr

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 09:06:38 PM »
Thx for the ride report man.

Keep us posted on progress.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal