Author Topic: Jeremy Riggs video of Dave Kalama and some geezer on a ski  (Read 6294 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Jeremy Riggs video of Dave Kalama and some geezer on a ski
« on: September 19, 2017, 10:17:53 AM »
Yesterday we all drove up in the shuttle and were a bit underwhelmed at the look of the conditions off Hookipa.  Large glassy splotches were mixed in with smaller patches of whitecaps.  I had my ski and knew the bottom end might pick up but Dave was on his foil and was facing a much bleaker prospect without sufficient wind.   But as soon as we paddled out of the gulch the wind switch turned on to the nuke setting.  It was disconcerting for me in the ski as I had never paddled side to the wind in that kind of strength.  But I also knew it was definitely a 'no fall' day.  A little tense yes.  So I turned downwind and the action was non stop until the notorious area off Uppers. 

As usual everything piled up out there and yours truely was hanging on by my toenails, mostly taping and totally insecure about dropping into bombs I had no confidence in negotiating.  Wind jacked up even further and my wallowing continued, tapping constantly to maintain.  I did know that it usually improved past this point and it did.  But I was still shell shocked by that when Jeremy Riggs came by and restarted my enthusiasm.  He had been filming Dave Kalama on his foil and that's what really spectacular in this vid.  Dave was having a field day but the heaviest thing was how steady and fast JR was ripping along on his stand up board.  He looked like he was filming from a jetski.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Jeremy Riggs video of Dave Kalama and some geezer on a ski
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 10:31:40 AM »
When it cleaned up at the end the bombs were much more approachable.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 11:40:08 AM »
Those first 5 seconds are ridiculous!  JR on glide and Dave goes past him like he's sitting down.

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 12:46:33 PM »
That was ridiculousy cool!!!   And to add in PF's Have a Cigar was just fantastic....oh, and by the way, which one's Pink?

Brillant.....
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 05:34:59 PM »
WOW... Now that truly shows the potential for a foil and so GREAT to see you Bill looking so mellow on that ski! Awesome vid. I want to foil. I want to ski, I want to downwind. ;D
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 05:45:56 PM »
This is awesome and agree with Off-Shore... gives me the itch to get out there!  Winds are up in Socal later this week so hmmm...

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 06:14:43 PM »
Thanks for that one Headmount. It may have been an optical illusion but Dave's board had an interesting nose and tail outline.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 08:44:19 PM »
Big thanks for posting this.  I love seeing foiling relative to a big DW board, really shows what a huge leap in performance a foil can be.

The flip side of this is seeing some of the gorge videos where someone is foiling and getting smoked by wind surfers doing high speed passes and big airs.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 08:51:47 PM »
Big thanks for posting this.  I love seeing foiling relative to a big DW board, really shows what a huge leap in performance a foil can be.

The flip side of this is seeing some of the gorge videos where someone is foiling and getting smoked by wind surfers doing high speed passes and big airs.

And then there's military jets that go the fastest of all.  But more than speed, the foil gives you more freedom of movement.  Jeremy is a top flight downwind surfer, among the best and as you point out while he went relatively straight DW, Dave was doing 100 yard traverses on the same bump.  We all went again today.   More of the same except I'm really tired.  Seven days in a row for me.  Can barely walk.

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 05:14:02 AM »
Nice vid HM, looking relaxed and enjoying your ski....and keeping up with the best!

What are you guys using on your camera lens's???
They shed water instantly. Mine have horrible spots no matter who's tongue I use  >:( 

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 11:49:17 AM »
Nice vid HM, looking relaxed and enjoying your ski....and keeping up with the best!

What are you guys using on your camera lens's???
They shed water instantly. Mine have horrible spots no matter who's tongue I use  >:(

That's funny Creek.  Yes that is an ongoing problem with water use and I don't know what Jeremy used on his Go Pro lens.  But drops are much less a problem than fogging from heat differences.  With fog you get nothing.  I wonder how this new Sony RX0 does with that.  All these cams have engines that create heat to different degrees. 

With drops you have to attack it from whether it has a polycarbo lens or a glass.  This new Sony will have glass.  It's not as small as a Go Pro but fairly small.  Has a 24mm fixed lens which is the widest angle before noticeable wide angle distortion begins that is so evident in a Go Pro.  I like that.  You can't dick around with zoom settings out in the water anyway.  The Sony is supposedly wtrprf to 33 ft. but if you go for the sure thing, the water housing is $900.  That would add up to a $1600 total.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 05:20:22 PM »

And then there's military jets that go the fastest of all.  But more than speed, the foil gives you more freedom of movement.  Jeremy is a top flight downwind surfer, among the best and as you point out while he went relatively straight DW, Dave was doing 100 yard traverses on the same bump.  We all went again today.   More of the same except I'm really tired.  Seven days in a row for me.  Can barely walk.
I'm on day #4 either using a 3.7 or 4.2 windsurfing, but we have been smoking the guys on kitefoils, leaving them in the dust, aka "eat my whitewater". But at 67 I'm crawling now, had to drag my raggy ass up into the chair just to turn on my computer, and that button was hard to push.  I'm getting old, but if I quit, I'll get older very fast, so there is that.  Never quit!
It takes a quiver to do that.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 06:22:23 PM »

I'm on day #4 either using a 3.7 or 4.2 windsurfing, but we have been smoking the guys on kitefoils, leaving them in the dust, aka "eat my whitewater". But at 67 I'm crawling now, had to drag my raggy ass up into the chair just to turn on my computer, and that button was hard to push.  I'm getting old, but if I quit, I'll get older very fast, so there is that.  Never quit!

You guys rock, Headmount and Weasels wake!  I hope that at Weasel wake's age I am still out there 4-7 days in a row!

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 07:04:59 PM »
I'm getting old, but if I quit, I'll get older very fast, so there is that.  Never quit!

I'm 64 and absolutely agree with this. Most of my friends are the same. Squeeze every bit of life out of life that you can!
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 07:30:36 PM »
Thanks for that one Headmount. It may have been an optical illusion but Dave's board had an interesting nose and tail outline.

Dave's board is a 7'2" version of my 6'10". The tail, nose and rails are all crazy but they all have a function. Tail cut away is to help with pumping needed on foil.

HM you are looking good on the ski!!!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]