Author Topic: SUP Surfing Footwork - How To  (Read 10824 times)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
SUP Surfing Footwork - How To
« on: September 19, 2017, 08:40:15 AM »
Hi!

I hope everyone is getting some waves!

I am grateful for this surfless spell I have been having, gave me time to work on these how to videos.

I learned a bunch making this video and stoked to progress and try new maneuvers this winter.  I hope this helps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcR1Z4jpHD8
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP Surfing Footwork - How To
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 09:37:07 AM »
Nice video as always Clay. Still trying to improve my backside:)  I find my shorter boards that have more rocker and are thinner in the tail turn faster with less foot work. Obviously the longer or wider the board, the more you have to move. Sometimes on a hard front side turn, I'll get size 14 toes literally hanging off the rail and dragging. I can feel the drag my toes are creating as I do it.
Here are a few straight down stills of how I move my feet. The first two I'm forward to get speed, then I shift /probably hop both my feet back and onto the rail. If you look at my front foot ,you can see how the position changes relative to the handle. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 10:04:52 AM »
Thank for putting that together Clay. So well done in terms of communicating then illustrating. As always.
My aha moment about turning a board came from dodging people at Waikiki's party waves.
I need more time on water tho'...
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 11:33:32 AM »
Another great vid, Clay.  They also always make me smile.

I can turn now, but for the life of me, I haven't the foggiest idea in my head about what I am doing, it is all just "feel".

Hammer is fun because it is such a 'slidey' board, I can attack a wave face head on and turn it back 180 degrees toward shore at the crest.  I haven't been able to actually catch a wave that way yet, if it's even possible.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 01:54:10 PM »
Great vid Clay.  That green board in Maui (I rented it in July) was fun, but didn't turn anywhere near as quick as my stoke.  I love some of the slow motion footage you produce, probably some of the best in all of SUPdom.  That one kick out you did, just fantastic stuff.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 08:13:24 PM »
In my opinion this is one of your best videos, if not the best ,you've ever shared. Your commentary on the small details is why I always look forward to one of your videos. The small details can be the difference between success or not. Your explanations on what you're doing or are trying to do is most helpful to me depending on what you are conveying with your comments. No matter whose videos I watch, I always watch the person's footwork.

Looking forward to watching your next video.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 08:39:50 PM »
Thanks clay, it's great to see this kind of video..... clear info that really helps people see the subtleties which make all the difference!

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 08:54:06 PM »
Thanks!  Great to hear the feedback, and love hearing what resonates.

TallDude - thanks for adding your stance photos.  I remember reading you have a 9' board for winter, what are the dimensions, volume, shape?  I'm looking to move down to that length and need some input to get the foam in the right places.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 11:29:49 AM »
Clay:  Thanks sooooo much for posting this video.  Top shelf!!!!

I've watched several times and learned A LOT!  About three years ago when I started SUP surfing I developed this habit of using my right front foot (I'm goofy) from rail to rail to try to initiate a turn.....don't ask me why, I have no explanation.  As such, I have to remind myself and really focus on every ride to use/move my back (left) foot nowadays.  As a result of this focus I think I'm well on my way to breaking the front foot habit.  However, I now see in your video that its okay and actually can help substantially to use the forward front foot to help maneuver - revelation there. 

I'll be watching this video a bunch more over the next couple of days and really paying close attention to your narrative and video.  This kind of video is so helpful to folks like me (novices).  Can't say "Thank You" enough for taking the time and effort to post this and I can't wait to see more like it from you!  Given the amount of expertise here I really wish there were more videos like it!!!!!   :( :( :(   

I'm super excited to start collecting video on my quest to become a nose rider - I fully expect it will take a fairly substantial period of time but I know the finished product will be worth it. At least now I'm 5 mins from my closet surf spots and will be in the water every chance I get provided the waves aren't huge like they are now or so small its like a lake.

So psyched to see this video!!!!!  Bravo Clay!!!

Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 02:48:07 PM »
Clay:  Totally Agree.

It took me years, and eventually surfing an L41 SimSup @ 32" wide to realize the ONLY way to get it to turn was to

Move My Back Foot

I took this strategy back to my shorter boards and it was as you say "Night and Day."  Suddenly all my SUP's were turning MACHINES.

You were emphasizing the front foot but here at 5:54 you will see this guy switching his back foot significantly and you are Moving your back foot from 6:10 to 6:35.

https://youtu.be/IcR1Z4jpHD8?t=370
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 02:49:54 PM by Beasho »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 05:01:59 PM »
Well done Clay; that 808 board brings me back to Lahaina.

Your narrative and analysis are superb!

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 07:12:31 PM »
Great video Clay.... i'am not sure why you are using such a big board.  With you're surfing background, you should be on a much smaller board.  Your wide board is a big problem.  I am 70 years old and using a 28 inch wide Kings longboard.  I am the same weight as you and have no problems in any conditions.  Width is a HUGE factor in performance.  Something slim and about 115 liters and you will be ripping.

supthecreek

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 04:27:54 AM »
Here's a video I made last year to answer a question about footwork for the specific board I was riding.

As much as we have grown weary of the "Nose Cam", it is very effective way to study your footwork.... but not as good as Clay's "Wand Cam"  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-qB8_uZLuY

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 06:10:37 AM »
Creek:  I bet ya I watched your video several dozen times when it cam out and thats when I realized how jacked up I was trying to use my front foot.  Your video clearly demonstrated the role the back foot plays...your front seemed to move so very little (except fore and aft) and so I took away a strong belief of "put a nail in the front foot" and use only the back foot for turns regardless of board size. 

Clay's video opened up (for me) the role the front foot can play to a lesser extent (as compared to the back foot) in turns.  I think this may be especially helpful on a bigger board like the 10'1" B&B I ride.  Conversely, it now seems a smaller board is more just back foot (likes in Creeks video on the Speed) - and an even smaller board ridden by an advanced rider seems to be able to initiate crazy turns with weight shifts and very little to no foot shifting...

All GREAT stuff!!!!!!!!!!!

Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 06:32:55 AM »
Here's a video I made last year to answer a question about footwork . . .

Fancy footwork at one of my favorite spots.   

Was Pono Bill sponsoring you before Sunova or just giving autographs?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 06:46:09 AM by Beasho »

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal