Author Topic: Teaching a grom  (Read 3850 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Teaching a grom
« on: September 12, 2017, 08:54:43 AM »
Lots of posts coming out of Saturdays session....I had such a good day. In addition to the rest of it I also had a blast showing my daughter's boyfriends son how to SUS. Kids a natural athlete....amazing motocross rider...11 years old and 90 lbs with a muscular build. 2nd time on a board and I had him paddling over knee to thigh high whitewater and catching waves in an hour. Of course my board was like an aircraft carrier for him but it was still impressive. 1st time out was on a pond and he mounted the board by running and jumping onto it....and nailed it. The kid even has a great natural stroke, I basically told him which way the paddle goes and that's it. It was shocking to watch him paddle...looked like he's been doing it for years....and that with a paddle that was a foot too long for him.....he did the Connor choke grip without me saying a word..... :o

Absolutely fearless too....he was begging me to take him outside into what even to me looked like a maelstrom of whitewater with overhead sets going off .....going to be lots of fun teaching him. Good kid too...a little nuts but good hearted.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching a grom
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 10:10:23 AM »
My advice for kids is get them to wear a small O'Neill Gooru Vest, you can hunt for them on eBay or Amazon and sometimes get them for < $50. 

I was paddling out with my daughter and realized I was putting on my vest everytime, even in 2 foot waves, but she (age 14) was not wearing any flotation.  "What the heck is wrong with me!" I thought.

So I bought her a smaller Gooru vest.  Kids wear them without objection.  None of this "I would rather dive under the wave B---sh-t."  Because they don't know.

The natural benefit of FLOATING gives them a huge edge in confidence when getting worked.  Takes them to the next level and they don't even realize it. 

Vest here:
https://www.amazon.com/ONeill-Wetsuits-Waterski-Competition-Combat/dp/B00QLN14DW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505236234&sr=8-1&keywords=oneill+gooru

This was her breakout session WEARING THE VEST.  Note the dig marks in the first shot.  She was Going for it!  The second shot shows the drop later on the same wave complete with the Mavericks skyline.   The third photo shows a takedown.  She came up smiling which was a good sign.  To put it into perspective she was riding a 10' 6" PSH gun. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:25:38 AM by Beasho »

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 12:31:26 PM »
Great shots, looks like a perfect SUS wave. Biggish, but mushy.

I really want one of the Gooru vests, but it seems like they only sell the kite version in the UK. WTH?!? :(

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 01:39:02 PM »
Good idea.....kid can swim well but if I ever take him outside in bigger stuff it would make ME feel better... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 04:10:27 PM »
Swimming doesn't help much when you're bouncing along the bottom. I love float.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 04:14:53 PM »
It would probably be fun to teach a grom.  My neighbor (ex-neighbor), of course, took me out for the first time several years ago to flounder around in the harbor like a tazed water gibbon.  I went to his new place recently, and another friend of his returned the board I went out on, the Costco Jimmy Sykes 11 foot barge and I saw it again.

I am inhibited, however, by liability concerns.  The ocean is dangerous, and I would not like to make it through a career of not being sued in the health professions only to get sued from something involving ocean water sports.  I would actually rather pay for somebody's lessons with proper safety instruction rather than take them out myself.

Some of my wife's friends have suggested I take the geezer husbands out, who don't even look like they can swim, and I just hem and haw and avoid the subject.  If they pushed it, I would probably just give them a gift certificate for one of the many schools around Santa Cruz to go out with instruction, and tell them to join me later after some practice and safety instruction.

Even being out just a couple of years, I have seen enough inappropriate tutelage to be wary.

2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 07:32:03 AM »
I understand your concern Cheat but I think you are cheating yourself of some of the most fun you can have in life both on and off the water. Passing on a skill to a kid changes their life and your's. Thinking about how excited he was brings a big smile everytime. I wouldn't do this with just anyone though....this kid and his Dad are OK with life being risky. He jumps a motocross bike 100'+ with regularity.
Bob

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 08:54:50 AM »
I think you need to choose carefully who you share risk with, and Bob probably has done so, though we all know that when something goes wrong, Americans look for someone to blame--and someone to sue. A firm belief in personal responsibility is an easy thing to claim you believe in until you're looking at big expenses that someone else "caused".
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 10:34:21 AM »
I love a thread about teaching a grom that jumps immediately into surviving Mavericks.  Beasho, you should sell your DNA.  ;)

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 11:21:59 AM »
I know I am an old fart now, because I reminisce about the days when you didn't need to be bonded and insured to lend your neighbor a cup of sugar.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:03:17 PM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 03:50:56 PM »
It always puts a smile on my face to see an elder showing/teaching a youngster how to surf....especially dad's pushing a little one into a wave in small surf.  It just cracks me up!

Hat's off to all you guys passing and sharing the stoke!  VERY cool!  And good on ya!!!!!
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 07:32:50 PM »
LOL....My wife and I were Odyssey of the Mind coaches for a few years. You think surf is worrisome? I taught a few 10 year olds how to use a circular saw. One of them is still one of my youngest daughters best friends. He tells me the Odyssey team was the start of his interest in how things work...he was one of the 1st that I taught to use a saw (amongst other tools). He graduated Mass Maritime with a Degree in Marine Engineering. Butterfly effect.

And a big part of working with kids for me is teaching them personal responsibility. That should be woven into almost everything they learn.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:35:44 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

novaboy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Turtle's Board Room
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 05:23:53 AM »
Planning on getting my 13 year old daughter out this weekend for her first SUP surf session. Can't wait. Hope she falls in love with it.
Jimmy Lewis Canada Rep
http://turtlesboardroom.weebly.com
9'5 Striker, 12'6 Sidewinder, 5'11 Kwad, 8’6 Super Frank
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 06:07:46 PM »
A little different....but still somewhat on topic....though i'm not the one doing the teaching.
My 7 year old granddaughter last weekend.
Bob

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 08:03:04 AM »
Go Grom...have fun with the Stoneman!

Go big Ruby.... I know she is a charger after surfing with her. Watch out world!

Go fast Aria! Such a cool kid  :)

Yeeehaaaa!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal