Author Topic: My first sup!  (Read 6773 times)

Big~Dave

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
My first sup!
« on: September 16, 2017, 07:31:17 AM »
Hey folks, just got done shaping my first sup its a 12'x32"x6 planing hull.I am proud of it considering I've never seen a sup prior to starting this project. My daughter has been helping me all the way.I am stoked that she has interest in the process,all she has been talking about is what hers is going to look like and what color it's going to be.
So if you guys and gals experienced with shaping could give some positive criticism on my efforts it would be greatly appreciated.

Big~Dave

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: My first sup!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 07:32:42 AM »
My helper

Big~Dave

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 07:34:55 AM »
More pics

Big~Dave

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 07:37:55 AM »
Heck, I got thick skin if you think it sucks and won't float feel free to say so lol

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 07:39:10 AM »
Looking forward to seeing your work along the way and the finished product.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Big~Dave

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 08:48:50 AM »
Looking forward to seeing your work along the way and the finished product.

Haha so am I! I am still trying to figure out how I am going to do my lamination I am thinking of 2x2 carbon on the deck and a 2x2 carbon/lime green glass on the bottom.Also need to figure out what fin system I wil be using and if I'll be installing pre or post glass work..

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 08:50:44 AM »
Heck, I got thick skin if you think it sucks and won't float feel free to say so lol

Love it. You and your daughter are going to have so much fun on that board. It's good you started with an all arounder design. 32" will be nice and stable. 12' long and 6" thick means you and the kiddo or dog can cruise together. Lots of volume there. Looks like plenty of rocker which is even better for added stability. You kept the rails pretty straight which helps with tracking and glide. You put 50/50 rails around the nose of the board and transitioned to a turned down hard rail through the tail. All the right stuff for a fun board. You did well and should feel very proud for your shape, especially due to the fact that your never physically seen a SUP in person. Awesome.     
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 09:15:14 AM »
Big Dave-
Nice board, cute kid!
 I would have not started such a project without a trip to a store to see and feel the rails on a few boards.
Bare (black) carbon fiber can heat up in the sun hot enough to melt the underlying EPS foam.
I would suggest surfboard grade fiberglass cloth and epoxy if you are not an experience laminator and a carbon 'stand patch' with some sort of white pigmented resin underneath some light colored EVA traction.
I would also suggest starting with a standard FU Bahne box out back, relatively easy to install without expensive jigs. Once you have some time on it then consider adding a more advanced fin systems like adding a ventral (about where your paddle dips into the water) or a couple sides.
Search for articles written by Larry Allison (Probox Larry) for fin knowledge and fin candy.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 09:17:14 AM »
good job it will defiantly float, 6" thick is more of a curser style thickness, you could loos a inch easy for the waves and still have plenty. I would also not worry about carbon for you first board, there is really not much point and your far better saving the expensive stuff for board 4 or 5 when you have made and learnt from your mistakes. Good luck with the glassing prepare everything first and it shouldn't be to bad just always remember only glass/hotcoat with a falling temperature.

Big~Dave

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 10:16:25 AM »

Love it. You and your daughter are going to have so much fun on that board. It's good you started with an all arounder design. 32" will be nice and stable. 12' long and 6" thick means you and the kiddo or dog can cruise together. Lots of volume there. Looks like plenty of rocker which is even better for added stability. You kept the rails pretty straight which helps with tracking and glide. You put 50/50 rails around the nose of the board and transitioned to a turned down hard rail through the tail. All the right stuff for a fun board. You did well and should feel very proud for your shape, especially due to the fact that your never physically seen a SUP in person. Awesome.   

Thanks for the compliments, glad you could notice the details I tried to put in the rails although I don't feel I that I could get the camera to capture them. There is plenty of volume for sure and there needs to be, I come in at 295lbs and 6'6" tall maybe I'll have enough to carry a small cooler.
good job it will defiantly float, 6" thick is more of a curser style thickness, you could loos a inch easy for the waves and still have plenty. I would also not worry about carbon for you first board, there is really not much point and your far better saving the expensive stuff for board 4 or 5 when you have made and learnt from your mistakes. Good luck with the glassing prepare everything first and it shouldn't be to bad just always remember only glass/hotcoat with a falling temperature.

I'm going to probably need all 6". And for the carbon I have some laying around and I'm pretty dead set on using it,I think it looks awesome. Thanks for the falling temp tip! I'll make sure I do it in the evening.
Big Dave-
Nice board, cute kid!
 I would have not started such a project without a trip to a store to see and feel the rails on a few boards.
Bare (black) carbon fiber can heat up in the sun hot enough to melt the underlying EPS foam.
I would suggest surfboard grade fiberglass cloth and epoxy if you are not an experience laminator and a carbon 'stand patch' with some sort of white pigmented resin underneath some light colored EVA traction.
I would also suggest starting with a standard FU Bahne box out back, relatively easy to install without expensive jigs. Once you have some time on it then consider adding a more advanced fin systems like adding a ventral (about where your paddle dips into the water) or a couple sides.
Search for articles written by Larry Allison (Probox Larry) for fin knowledge and fin candy.

I never thought about the foam melting...While it's wet it should be okay right? If I keep it bagged when I'm not using,would it would be okay?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 11:12:13 AM »
like has been said carbon does look cool but unfortunately a surfboard with a eps core brings all sorts of problems.

its a bit of a pain to laminate well, its very easy to get a dry laminate, it sucks up a lot of resin so it really needs to be wet out on a table and then vacuum bagged to get any sort of real advantage from it. its also gets incredibly hot in the sun if left exposed so has to be covered over with some sort of light colour to reflect the heat and if you want any sort of durability you will need to add a layer of glass on top any way.

a plain clear glass job on your first board will allow you to learn a lot more than you think and you will see and understand how to work with the materials but feel free to ignore the advice and use the carbon and learn the hard way.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 11:23:28 AM »
If you do carbon, (I wouldn't for a first board) you need to paint it to keep it from getting too hot. You say you'll keep it in a bag but for a day on the water, taking a break, you won't want to out it in the bag every time it's out of the water. You'd be surprised how fast it heats up.

How much carbon you got and what type? Maybe some of us here wil buy it or swap you some 4oz or 6 oz glass. I need some right now.

Search my thread on layups for a long discussion on that subject.

Board looks good man, congrats. It'll be a fun one at that size too. I love seeing people teach their kids to make stuff. That's a great lesson for life.

Big~Dave

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 05:18:50 PM »
I'm gonna take your guys advice on the carbon ...eh kinda I'll just be doing the bottom.

When do you guys prefer to install fin boxes? Pre or post glass.

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 05:44:42 PM »
Welcome Big Dave!
Nice intro.... the board seems like a perfect size for you.

You are getting great advice, so I wish you and your daughter all the best in the rest of the build!

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 05:09:56 AM »
I like to cap boxes with a layer of glass and resin whenever possible.
My Bahne box router jigs are homemade. You could probably get away with other tooling methods for a one-off.
Probably easiest for a beginner (no idea of your experience base), myself included:
-glass the top and bottom, prevents damage to the board as you do the rest
-make the box hole, check dry fit /alignment a couple times, shim if needed, should only be enough around it for like 1/32" of epoxy and a layer of cloth if you desire. Too much slop/gap=too much resin=exothermic meltdown around the box=weak box to board bond.
-epoxy in box in minding the depth control tabs, alignment. Tape or weight it down if needed. It might help to have a fin in the box to check all the alignment stuff.
-trim off extra plastic with a flush cut saw (saves time and does not build up heat) to just above the fiberglass of the bottom. I usually put a layer or two of masking tape down to help keep the saw teeth off of the fiberglass.
-sand flush rotary sander low speed 60-80 grit, moving around so as not to overheat
-fill the box with flour (to catch resin leaks), tape off the slot (belt and suspenders), and glass over with a patch.
-open slot , either with an Xacto or razor blade while the resin is at 'soft set' stage or wait until hard and use a trim router with a following bit
-sand patch and file off any goobers inside the box
-congratulate the team

When I have HD foam around, I add that to the board around the box first and then do the rest of the steps. I prefer genuine FU Bahne boxes to the less expensive ones.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal