Author Topic: Surfmobile Project  (Read 14911 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surfmobile Project
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 10:56:09 AM »
Clearly PB has the best looking GMC in the bunch...as they say, the best looking camel in the caravan. ;D

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 10:59:33 AM »
I'm hoping to do a DIY Sprinter conversion in the next 2 or 3 years.  ...'cause all the cool kids are doin' it.   I was hoping to hold out for their EV drive train (they are going to start producing them in 2018 or 2019 in Dusseldorf), but I don't think I can hold for how long it will take for them to be available over here.

This is one of my favorite conversion projects out there right now:

http://www.solarelectricvwbus.com
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 03:29:40 PM »
What's a Nero Wolfe themed Moho without a bar? This is the first overhead cabinet. A symphony of little fuckups, but it will be fine when I'm finished with it. Diane didn't want any bead rolling nonsense, just flat surfaces, which of course makes it much harder--nowhere to hide. I need to clean up the edges, polish the face and get rid of all the tool marks, them I'm going to lay on a coat of mat urethane. I'd clean up the edges and do a fine steel wool finish, then let it grow some funky patina, but She Who Must Be Obeyed isn't a fan of that. The original cabinet stuck out another seven inches and weighed 53 pounds. This weighs four. It's a single piece of .039 aluminum with 3/4" ply end caps salvaged from the original stuff. I'll probably add some padded end caps to save my scalp, but I sanded and stained the ends anyway. I'll form fit case foam to the decanters and glasses and add two carbon fiber rods to lock everything in, and the wire chase on the inside gets a simple aluminum cover. Won't be all bar, one pukka will be for general stuff.

I've got the workflow down for making these. The first one took two days, the next three will take less (I think) though the cabinet doors will add complexity. Then it's on to the next fabrication. This interior is going to be much simpler than the one I tore out. Open, spacious, simple and elegant--at least that's the intent.

The rest of the cabinets won't have the outside flange. I had to do that to cover the mounting holes from the original stuff. The rest of the cabinets will have inside flanges.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 03:36:24 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 04:54:13 PM »
The most radical part of this project is eliminating propane and the absorption refrigerator. This thing had the propane tank under the sofa in a funky sheet metal enclosure. Add in the occasional problem with tube leakage from adsorption refrigerators and a fiery death seems entirely too likely. Actually, there are millions of adsorption refrigerators out there not leaking and exploding, but a few thousand a year do, and the refrigerator wasn't working, so I decided to go all electric.

That means big batteries since I don't want to run a generator all the time, and lead-acid batteries suck toads, so I'll be building a bodacious LiFePO4 battery for this thing. Somewhere in the range of 1000AH at 12V (probably actually 500AH at 24V, but it's the same number of cells). Pretty safe chemistry, and I'm deep into study mode for optimized battery management and eventually solar.

Should be fun. I already build my own bicycle batteries. This will be a little more complex, but not too bad.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 05:01:18 PM »
This is the thread my mother warned me about.  Glued.  Riveted. TIG welded... whatever... I'm pretty excited to see where this goes.

Bill, you should get someone to sponsor a wrap for this thing. a little free advertising, a cool new look.  (Here I am selling ads to an ad man.)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 08:39:07 PM »
I'm considering setting up some cameras to film the process of building the stuff. Some of the techniques are interesting and it's going to get a lot wackier from here on. The only problem is I hate editing. Maybe i can get Rod to do it. We could start a YouTube channel, or get a reality show going. I'd have to get a lot bitchier and a trifle insane. Oh, wait, I think I have that covered.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2017, 06:12:30 PM »
Damn, I'm jealous, PB. I think the most fun I've ever had on a project was converting my bus.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2017, 07:24:38 PM »
I wish I was nearby.....this looks like so much fun.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2017, 07:05:56 PM »
I'll write up some of the work that I've done so far on my blog...  ...real soon now. I've shot quite a few pictures. It's coming along well. It helps that Diane is super excited about this project. Here's the cab floor after stripping out the carpet, After putting down soundproofing, then insulation, and finally the flooring. This is snap-locked vinyl with matching stair risers and steps.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 07:08:12 PM by PonoBill »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2017, 05:53:23 AM »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 07:27:18 AM »
Did you use mass loaded vinyl for the soundproofing?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2017, 09:12:36 AM »
Very nicely done Pono! Is the wiring project maintenance or an upgrade?
Your predictions about my rig were spot-on.
I took apart the windshield and one A-pillar is 100% gone and the rest of the windshield framing is dubious. The plywood held on but the 1x4 lumber between the ply's rotted. Rebuilding looks extensive...
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2017, 09:33:36 AM »
Thanks for the tip/lead on MLV, TD.   I also have a 'project'—not quite so expansive.   Looks to be an elegant ship when you are done, PB. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2017, 05:46:53 PM »
I used 8 mil dynamat. Easy to install. Then a 3/4" layer of polysio. The snap tile we used has a layer of sound deadening as well. Pretty effective--all the engine noise in the cabin now comes from the back. The main cabin floor has 3/4" PVC foam, very dense but still light. Some guy was selling offcuts from his business--they build signs and event displays from the stuff. Then I belt-sanded it flat and laid a layer of Reflictix on top. The floor has a slight flex that's pretty nice.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 05:52:25 PM by PonoBill »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2017, 08:21:32 PM »
Cool....I can't wait to borrow this thing...... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal