Author Topic: Ear plugs  (Read 3191 times)

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Ear plugs
« on: September 12, 2017, 12:53:05 PM »
I am pretty minimal, no hat, shades or plugs, but took a couple spanks to the ear, heard a few horror stories and am worried about drum rupture mostly. Looking for suggestions. I do like to hear as much as possible. High end is cool.
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ear plugs
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 01:34:42 PM »
The stories are real. I have ruptured both eardrums about 4 times each. They always healed over time, until that last one didn't. Two graft surgeries later, it finally healed.
Even though I am lousy about wearing them except while recovering, no question that the best plugs are "Doc's Pro Plugs". Developed by an ear doctor in Santa Cruz who developed them for surfers. He treated one of my ruptures there around 1979.
Many surf shops carry them, and I expect that you could find them online. They fit very well, have the option of a tiny hole that lets sound in but not water, and comes with a thin fishing line type leash that goes around your neck so that you don't lose them. Even comes in clear or colored. Definitely the best.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 03:18:59 PM »
I ordered these to try out, but haven't used them yet. What appealed to me is they supposedly allow for better hearing than the other brands.
https://surfears.com
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 03:57:13 PM »
Been using the Doc's pro plugs for awhile, like them whenever my head might be underwater fairly often. I keep a few sets around, one pair in my lifejacket pocket, another in my gear bin, and maybe a pair in one of my car back pockets where I keep sunscreen. The clear ones are really hard to find if you drop them.
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 04:14:30 PM »
I had an ear doc check out my hearing a few years ago--the high end is pretty gone, but I'm not a candidate for hearing aids until the signal processing gets a LOT better. But when he was checking my ears out he said "when did you rupture your eardrums". and my answer was "never". He laughed and said you've had ruptures on both sides.

I guess it's no surprise, but I would have thought I'd know.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 06:20:06 PM »
swim teams from 10 yrs old through 17, then surfing led to a lifetime of infections and diminished hearing.

Nothing really worked.Some plugs helped... but infections persisted, and growths got bigger.

Enter SUP and the "Kook Hat" with chinstrap that had a mesh ear cover.
6 years since my last ear infection or hearing loss.

Water gets in, but they are protected from the wind and impact,
Plus I don't go sun blind.

No one pays any attention when I report this.
I wouldn't trade my hat for the best plugs in the business.
I like hearing.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 06:45:53 PM »
I use https://surfears.com
But it's a bit hard to hear other ppl talking when you wear a helmet  ::)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 09:31:49 PM »
I've had surfer's ear surgery in both ears and never surf now without plugs after that.  I agree with the Surfears recommendation.  That's all I use anymore and they keep the water out but you can still hear almost as well as you could if you had no plugs in at all.  They are mainly a silicone tube with Gortex over one end.  My favorite plugs ever.   
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 09:40:15 PM »
thanks for the recommendations, looks like the surfears come with adjustable sizes, ordering the docs is just hit or miss, $23 till you get there right size?
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 11:40:01 AM »
Mack's Silicone Earplugs at any drugstore. About $4 for a set of 12, which i re-use for months. I suffered from exostosis and ear doctor told me i needed surgery. i said 'no, thanks'. i've been using these for years and hearing is fine. Because they're just gobs of silicone, 'fit' is not an issue...just squish some in your ear (not too small, you want full internal coverage and to be able to pull it all out after). And if/when you lose them, no biggie. i always carry some spare in my bathing suit pockets. Hearing with them in is ok, but frankly, i'm not looking to chat out there anyway.   

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 01:21:30 PM »
I just ordered some Surfears for my wife, who's had a perf'd eardrum and wears hearing aids out of the water.  She's been wearing plugs but she can't hear me when I tell her, "your wave honey."  How's a guy going to rack up any points under those conditions?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal