Author Topic: minimalist sup fishing, inland lakes  (Read 10368 times)

switters

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
minimalist sup fishing, inland lakes
« on: September 11, 2017, 01:25:23 PM »
I have used a milk crate with rod holders for a regular size rod, which works great but you have to commit to having a milk crate and  working around a longer pole on the boat.  Granted there are types of equipment for fishing but this is the low cost redneck fishing thread.  Having a rod up front can also mess with your stroke on one side or the other.   And my board is an 11' Isle adventure inflatable.

I have hand lined and just tied of the line to a d ring next to my feet.  For local bass and trout this works fine also.  But managing 15' of line can sometimes get tangled and is something of a pain.  I do keep a small tin with one jig and 15' in my cooler pocket just in case I get bored some evenings but it is not ideal either.

Sight fishing with a fly rod is fun, but again you are commited to just fishing because you need to manage the rod on the board or go all in on a rod management system, not a good option on a ISUP.

The ice rod, short and not in the way, has some drag and play to it, keeps the line tidy.  This is my new favorite method of fishing off the board.  I tuck the pole handle in under the front bungie and let the line ride down the side of the board.  Yesterday morning we were treasure hunting the shore of the local res. (water dropping 1'/day) and after 6 small mouths in half an hour I put the pole away so I could finish the bit of shore we were hunting. We also happened to be camping so on the trip to the camp site space was at a premium for dry bags. The lure was a curly tailed grub, only one of the bass was 12" the rest were 4-8"

treasure hunting total, two anchors, 4 sunglasses, several bits of fishing tackle and the usual bag of trash. 

Cheers,

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: minimalist sup fishing, inland lakes
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 02:57:54 PM »
Have you ever tried fishing from a sup while wearing a wade belt where the belt is attached around your waist? Wade belts usually have a small tackle box attached to them and you can put a vertical rod rocket holder attached to the belt in a position out of the way of your paddle while you're fishing or while your paddling. Below is a link to one which is similar to the one I wear.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/h2o-xpress%E2%84%A2-quick-draw-wading-belt#repChildCatid=724104

The sack can be rolled up while you paddle to your fishing destination. If you catch some keeper fish, put them in the burlap sack and when you decide to paddle back to your launching site, put the burlap sack between your legs as you paddle. Just make sure you tie the sack to your leg with a small piece of rope so it doesn't go overboard while you're paddling back to where your vehicle is parked.

Remember; "where there is a will, there is usually a way".  ;)
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 06:41:02 PM »
Our fellow Standie Rick, is doing really good this year just outside of Privates in Santa Cruz.

He said that he's caught over 40 legal sized (28") white sea bass and 10 keeper sized halibut so far this season.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 06:42:53 PM by southwesterly »

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 04:21:29 AM »
I fish for musky, bass, and trout off of SUPS. One rod is easy to manage: just lay it down between your feet when not casting. On the odd occasion that I do troll, I just tuck the rod into the waist pack that I carry.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal