Author Topic: NSP DC Wide Cocomat 8'10 Review  (Read 7355 times)

kliss99

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
NSP DC Wide Cocomat 8'10 Review
« on: September 11, 2017, 10:46:01 AM »
Hi all,
After riding my NSP DC Cocomat Sup for the past few months I thought it’d be a good time for a review.  Prior to the NSP I was riding a 9’2 Sunova Flow, I like the Flow a lot but I found it was limited when going on my back hand (I ride on my back hand probably 75% of the time) I believe due to the wider tail.    Also, I got tired of the LiftSUP handle, I wear mitts in the winter and have to resort to tying a piece of twine to the handle.  I do feel the sunova’s are very well made and do not rule out considering one in the future but only if I could get a different handle.  I think if the Flow had a slightly narrower tail, slightly wider nose (when digging hard for a wave it’s easy to bury the rail and fall if you’re not careful), this could be my perfect board.  Rocker and rails on the Flow are good.
When searching for a replacement I wanted something very similar in dimensions.  I also want something durable (I only ride one board) and not too expensive.  I finally went with the NSP DC Wide Cocomat 8’10 x 32 x 148L.  I went with the NSP because I have the NSP DC Cocomat 14’ tour/race board and have had no problems with its construction and I feel it is a very good board.  The 14’ I have had for over 4 years still looks new after participating in many long distance paddle events.  The price of the NSP 8’10 at $1,300.
The NSP rides great, very stable but maneuverable, front side is almost as good as the Flow, back hand is much better than the Flow.  The NSP has thicker rails and less rocker so it took me a while to get used to riding steep waves being careful on doing bottom turns and not burying the rail.  I didn’t have to think of my frontside on the Flow but NSP I have learned to compensate and now it’s all good.  Back hand is great, easy to whip the board around (I believe due to the narrower tail) its very user friendly, cutbacks super easy.   Both boards I ride as a quad with a center nubster fin, I really like this setup.  The insert carry handle is a dream, all SUPs should have this imo.
The jury is out on the NSP’s durability.  I immediately installed the RSPro tape so all good there.  It has sustained some scratch marks on the front deck, no biggie.  What's surprising is there are slight indentations on the standing area where my feet are when standing parallel, I was very surprised by this since my 14’ has none of that.  Also, I guess it’s minor but the tail pads color has faded.  Oh, I almost forgot the dimensions on the board read 8’10 x 32 x 128l!!!  The board is 148L, I thought this was kinda lame in terms of QA but oh well.  Finally, nothing to do with durability but the NSP is FCS for quads but the center box is the 2 + 1 or traditional long board fin box so I had to get a special device to insert the nubster fin, seems to work well.
Overall, I’m extremely happy with how this board rides.  It surfs well in small and big waves (had a blast this weekend surfing Irma).  Paddles really well.  Me, 53 yrs old, 200 lbs, 5’9.  Sup surfing for 7 years, regular surfing for over 30 years.

8'6 JL Superfrank
8'10 NSP Surf Wide
9'2 Fanatic Allwave 2013
14' NSP Cocomat

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: NSP DC Wide Cocomat 8'10 Review
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 10:57:01 AM »
Thanks for giving a nice detailed report. Glad to see you like your new board too. It is a shame that the board is listed at 128 liters, but in actuality it is 148 liters instead. I think at your 200 pound physical weight, the 148 liters is better for you balance and stability wise.

Thanks for sharing your review.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 06:47:29 PM »
good review and almost bought one of those board.

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 10:00:19 AM »
the dimensions on the board read 8’10 x 32 x 128.  The board is 148L...

How do you know it's really 148l?  I'd be inclined to go with what's written on the board.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 11:06:01 AM »
what's it weigh?
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 11:12:48 AM »
I think if it was 128 liters, a 200lb person would submerge the board almost to the deck. For surfing, this would be close to perfect.

148 liters is a lot of excess volume for a 200lb rider, especially in a board as short as 8'10.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 11:22:53 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 12:30:34 PM »
148 liters is from the website.  I also contacted the company I purchased it from and they confirmed it's 148l.  i only ride boards 140l and up.  They suit me just fine.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 11:55:06 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the indentations, my 9'8 coco did that when I first used it but never got any worse.  The DC coco race boards must have a different deck lay up as mine hasn't indented either.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 12:29:22 PM »
great review 'Lb' (artist formerly known as Kliss.)

I recently tried to get my hands on one of these- the 8'5.  seller and I were pretty far off on what it was worth.  My main concern- and why i wanted to pay what i was- was NSP's durability.  it was a 2015 model and the layup was a tired design.  very traditional.  nothing like what the big boys are doing now in non-carbon layups  (Sunova, Jimmy L. and JP)

shame...the hunt continues for my 115-120l everyday board to replace my Riviera trainwreck

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 03:30:40 PM »
Thanks Dingfix good to know.  Mine hasn't seem to get any worse.

Haha. Hey Mike, except for the foot indentations the DC seems to be holding up well so far.  This has to be the most consistent summer and fall surfwise and I've had the opportunity to get this sup pretty wired.  I'd like slightly less boxy rails and slightly more rocker but  I've learned to compensate and am very happy!  My next board would be very similar to this one with minor modifications.
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

Big Windy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 01:43:37 PM »
Hi LB,
I noticed you have an 8’6 JL Superfrank.  A buddy lent me his 8’7 DC Wide and I had a lot of fun on it in medium sized waves.  Only used it once, so I can’t give a good review on it yet.  Curious how the DC Wide and the Superfrank compare.  Stability, speed, etc.  Would like to see if either can handle a little more juice on the wave.  I’ve had good luck with JL boards, but haven’t had experience on the Superfrank.  These boards seem close in construction, size, volume, width.  Worth getting both?  Any feedback?

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 03:05:41 AM »
Hi LB,
I noticed you have an 8’6 JL Superfrank.  A buddy lent me his 8’7 DC Wide and I had a lot of fun on it in medium sized waves.  Only used it once, so I can’t give a good review on it yet.  Curious how the DC Wide and the Superfrank compare.  Stability, speed, etc.  Would like to see if either can handle a little more juice on the wave.  I’ve had good luck with JL boards, but haven’t had experience on the Superfrank.  These boards seem close in construction, size, volume, width.  Worth getting both?  Any feedback?
Hi BW,
First, the SF is the best board I’ve owned to date.  The big difference between the SF and the 8’10 is obviously length and SF has much more rocker.  For me the length and lightness of the SF make it much easier to whip around and the extra rocker make it easier on steeper waves.  I haven’t ridden it yet in anything over shoulder high so I can’t speak on how it will handle overhead waves but I’m confident it’ll be fine.  Others on this site feel otherwise.  I’m not concerned cause living in northern nj big days are not all that common.  The SF catches waves easily and has really good glide.  Both boards are very stable.  I’d imagine the 8’7 nsp can be whipped around as well the difference would be the rocker.  I’m not so sure you should get both, I’d get the SF, but if $ is an issue the SF is a few hundred dollars more.  Hope this helps, Ken
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 06:24:41 AM »
I should also mention if your comfortable on the 8’7 nsp then you should consider the Super Frank Lean.  This model has gotten rave reviews on the sea breeze site.
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

Big Windy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 01:55:03 PM »
Thanks the feedback LB.  Yes the 8'7 DC is pretty stable, so no issues with that.  In the shorter lengths, I usually have a later take off, so some extra nose rocker might be nice.  Will try to get the 8'7 out in some better conditions if the waves cooperate.  That SF sounds interesting.  Cheers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal