Author Topic: Going single  (Read 9712 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Going single
« on: September 11, 2017, 07:14:32 AM »
Fin that is....

I've surfed my Foote with thrusters in it from day one. I rarely play with fins much...if it feels good don't screw with it has been the mindset. What a dope!

Great sessions over the weekend. Newport (RI) was pumping with head+ sets and clean conditions. 5 hours on Saturday in some faster longer period waves that we usually get. I found I was missing some waves that I thought for sure I was going to make. Considered taking the thrusters out but never got around to it.

Sunday morning the swell has dropped but still some chest to head sets, still clean and long period. Surfed an hour and decided to pull out the thrusters to see how it felt. I was blown away..... 8)

Faster...much easier paddle in, missing less even though my arms were getting tired. And I was making it around sections that were closing on me before I took them out.

Looser.....tail moving around much easier, had to be careful not to turn too far while going for a wave. The added responsiveness felt great though and I quickly got used to it.

Performance.....faster and looser translated to faster more fun turns. I did not miss the thrusters at all and if anything it seemed like I was carving harder with the added speed. I never thought taking the thrusters out would make this much difference. Now I'm kind of pissed at myself that I haven't done it earlier.

I've always felt like a newb at some level because in the past when I have played with fins (for surfing) I never really noticed much of a change. I just figured I wasn't good enough to sense it. Does this mean I'm no longer a newbie?.... ;D ::) now I need to try new fins in all my boards..... :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 07:19:03 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Going single
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 08:00:53 AM »
I hear ya Bob.  I've messed with as many options as my fin collection would allow on all my boards. My long green hammer is single and gonna stay there.  Adding anymore fin to it makes is surf like the butt is stuck. My 9-6 stoke gets surfed as quad and used as a coastal cruiser as a single. I never surf anything as a thruster or 2+1, and that's the only set up my son and wife like.  To each his own, and never cease experimentation.

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 09:21:38 AM »
Yeah Stoney, less fins = less drag = more speed.  Try just pulling out your center fin and ride the sidebites.  The board will be faster and you can really slide that tail around, fun.  Even switching to smaller fins will make a noticeable difference in speed.  Peace.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 10:37:21 AM »
I was really surprised how much it changed and not just for the surfing. Even paddling back out was better...transition from coming out of a wave and paddling back out was faster...one stroke to turn 180 deg, instead of the more normal (for me) 2 or 3, better speed paddling back out and less slow down going up and over the whitewater. Wish I had taken them out on Saturday when the paddle out was challenging.

Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 11:17:48 AM »
@stoneaxe

I like to experiment with fins too. And you know I like details and I am always curious.

When you went single fin with your Foote; was your single fin all the way back in the fin box towards the tail, in the middle of the fin box or was the fin placed all the way in the front of the fin box towards the nose? I'm guessing all the way forward or in the middle of the fin box.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 12:25:42 PM »
Question; how big was the single fin that you were running when you had thrusters in? If it was a 2+1 setup, where you have a fairly large (5" or bigger") trailing fin with thrusters as well, that to me is the stiffest combination; just too much fin area fighting over whether the board is going to turn around the center fin or the side bites. As you said, if there is a large center fin, I don't  like confusing the issue with sidebites. Like someone else mentioned, also try going with some large (5") thrusters, and a really small center fin (3.5 to 3.75"). It is another way to get away from too much fin area and fin conflict, but now the side fins are dominant with just a tiny center fin for minimal tracking.
Glad you are having fun playing with fins.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 01:41:22 PM »
Timely post stone.  I'm looking at a fairly small forecast for this coming weekend and was thinking of surfing my longboard with a single 6.25" fin.  I've only surfed it as a 2+1 so far.  A guy I know surfs almost the same longboard as me (he's a stronger surfer) and only surfs it as a quad (in big conditions) or a single fin (in smaller stuff).  I'm kind of pumped to give a single a try.   

My smaller boards are all quads.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 01:43:23 PM by surfafrica »
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 02:42:34 PM »
I guess if your board is 10 ft plus then a smallish single eg 6 to 7 inches is going to really loosen things off but doubt you will get up to the nose for long. Depends what you want to do.

Singles feel fast and clean but I quite like having small sides and a 7 to 8 inch centre fin for everyday stuff.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 04:24:02 PM »
I wore out the grubscrews on my Foote 10'4" swapping out fins. I use it as a single probably half the time, with a little 4" dolphin. Very fun. Generally I use a 5" center and 2.5" thrusters, but I tried it as a twin fin with 4" thrusters (nah) and tried a big center fin for noseriding--a Jimmy Lewis that I think came from an old 11er--huge fin, probably longer than 12".

I can noseride the 10'4" with thruster fairly well. You have to stall the shit out of it before you head to the nose to really get past the logo. Most of my "noserides" are casual, finding myself fairly far forward near the end of a ride and just going further. When I do it on purpose I cross-step, and my odd technique is to start cross-stepping froward by stepping back, with kind of automatically stalls the board if I start slow and lean back a little. I step back with my front foot to make the first cross a short step. If I start from a surfing stance the first step is a bit long and uncontrolled.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 06:40:31 PM »
Use to ride single 9" on the 14ft but since I got the 10' I kinda like the feeling of 2 + 1 fins. I'm still using the 9" as centre fin with side bites and liking it as learning to sup surf.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 07:23:06 AM »
I have a few fins to play with but I'm going to have to get some more. In addition to testing variations on the Foote I also want to see how the 8-0 Vec surfs with other fins. Another board where I put a set of fins in...big moon twins...and that's it. I had it built as a 5 fin and have never tried anything else.....i think i mentioned what a dope I am at the beginning of this thread.... ::)
Bob

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 02:31:45 AM »
If you have a wide tailed longboard...like me....I reckon a couple of small sides just gives it a little more grip without tracky feeling.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 06:01:29 AM »
Colin M.uses a set of thrusters in his performance lb. The center is slightly smaller.

Harold I. Uses a set of thrusters with a wide center.

Taylor J. Uses a 2 + 1 setup.

Jimmy L. A big 11" in the Black and Blue machine.

Horses for courses! Try and see what works for you.

My King's Croc needed a swept back single. Hobies liked a vertical pivot.

My New Deal Infinity rocks with a Hayden 2 + 1. The sides are really small and the center is not quite seven. All the way forward so the leading edge of the center is in line with the training edges of the sides. Didn't like single fin.

Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 06:34:08 AM »
It felt very different in the big stuff yesterday in a number of ways.

Easier getting out despite the hammering....fighting to get out meant making 10-15 successive chunks of whitewater each getting bigger than the last....friggin exhausting...drop to my knees and breath for 5 mins after the last one.... :P. I seriously think I would not have made it out with thrusters in....the extra drag and push back from each wave would have tipped the scales in mother natures favor.

Easier in....steeper drops with a small wind at my back and better glide....I didn't miss many except when I tried going way way out. And I still caught a few monsters out there. Tuckermans was calling like a siren song but I didn't have the cajones to head out there solo. It was breaking hollow top to bottom and double overhead.

Faster down the line....much better making sections.

Not as snappy in turns at speed, seeing a closeout starting to happen and trying to turn out required more rail and some paddle...got caught a few times.

I definitely want to try a combo of smaller thrusters and smaller center.
Bob

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 11:42:15 AM »
It felt very different in the big stuff yesterday in a number of ways.

Easier getting out despite the hammering....fighting to get out meant making 10-15 successive chunks of whitewater each getting bigger than the last....friggin exhausting...drop to my knees and breath for 5 mins after the last one.... :P. I seriously think I would not have made it out with thrusters in....the extra drag and push back from each wave would have tipped the scales in mother natures favor.

Easier in....steeper drops with a small wind at my back and better glide....I didn't miss many except when I tried going way way out. And I still caught a few monsters out there. Tuckermans was calling like a siren song but I didn't have the cajones to head out there solo. It was breaking hollow top to bottom and double overhead.

Faster down the line....much better making sections.

Not as snappy in turns at speed, seeing a closeout starting to happen and trying to turn out required more rail and some paddle...got caught a few times.

I definitely want to try a combo of smaller thrusters and smaller center.

You still experimenting or staying Single?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal