Author Topic: Hood River Fire  (Read 7628 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hood River Fire
« on: September 10, 2017, 11:24:19 PM »
It seems we are in some trying times coast to coast, and abroad. Mother nature has had some pent up energy that she has unleashed in historic fashion. Fire season, Hurricane season, Tornado season, and even Earthquake season. Of course, the out of control Hood River area fire got it's initial spark from some idiot. Everything on the TV is about hurricane Irma and it's had my family just glued to the TV to see latest news about it.
 This evening I paddled out of the harbor to watch Jack Johnson plat at the Ohana Music festival at Doheny Beach. I took my usual can of Modelo beer in my board short pocket. The sky was partially darkened by some ominous looking clouds moving through as residual from a tropical storm in Mexico. As I looked out in to the ocean, a bolt of lightening flashed in the distance. Then another one. Instead of sitting there and enjoying the music and the surf, the lightening made me wonder how our friends are doing in Hood River because there has been nothing in our news about it?
This is about all I can find on it.

http://koin.com/2017/09/08/eagle-creek-fire-1-firefighting-priority-in-nation/

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:26:03 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Hood River Fire
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 06:13:10 AM »
Hi Tall,

The fire is fortunately not in Hood River.  It is on the Oregon side of the Gorge in the scenic area between Hood River and Portland.  It looks like 12-15 miles along the Columbia have been affected to varying degrees.  This is still about 20 miles West of Hood River on the highway (about 12 miles from the start of the Viento run).  The Highway (84) is closed and will be for at least another week.  The worry is that the conditions here are incredibly dry and when it is hot and windy the fire can move very quickly.  A good deal of the scenic area is closed and is on some level of evacuation notice.  The area that has already been affected has some incredibly beautiful places.  It looks like the winds are changing directions again today so this will likely push the fire back towards Portland.  The whole area is under heavy smoke although it lightened a little yesterday in Hood River. 

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5584/#
https://www.facebook.com/EagleCreekandIndianCreekFires2017/
http://multco.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=d8d1be6dd17342d096ea2091b9882125

« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 06:16:30 AM by Admin »

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 09:32:23 AM »
Definitely one of earth's natural treasures...hoping for the best...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 11:10:19 AM »
One thing about any forest fire, it doesn't play any favorites on where it goes or what it destroys. I learned that about 5 years ago when a man made fire got out of control and burned many acres of land. We even had forest fire fighters and smoke jumpers come in from California to help get the fire under control and eventually extinguish it.

Had that big DC-10 fire aircraft fly low over my home and just a few hundred yards away dump the orange colored fire retardant on the blaze. The jet was so low I could easily see the two pilots in the cockpit when I looked up at the plane from my driveway. The fire got as close as 300 yard to my home, but that was as close as it got.

Hope things get better for the people, domestic animals,  wildlife and land in Oregon so things can start to rebuild and renew.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 07:44:11 PM »
Ughhh.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 09:08:02 PM »
Yeah, today was not a good day for the fire. Breaking through the fire line at Herman Creek is a bad thing, puts it over the ridge that might have stopped it. A lot of work went into holding the fire there, but the wind pushed right over it. Gusts to thirty at times today. We need a bunch of rain. Well, that and a few less lunatic teenagers. People might think PDX's post is about the Eagle Creek fire, but it's not. Some kids set off fireworks last night and started a fire along the Indian Creek trail. Fortunately, it was extinguished quickly. If that had gone out of control Hood River would be bracketed. Insane.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 07:50:07 AM »
This is the latest:

Winds, which pushed the fire beyond Nick Eaton Ridge in the northeast corner yesterday, calmed overnight and are anticipated to remain light today. The fire still is expected to continue growing, mainly to the south and to a lesser extent the east, but at a slower rate. Air resources may also be used to help slow the fire’s spread. Line is in place along the I-84 corridor from Herman Creek east to Mitchell Point and if conditions permit, firefighters will conduct burn out operations to strengthen that line.
Mop-up is almost complete along the I-84 corridor from Bridal Veil to Warrendale. Crews will now begin focusing their mop-up efforts east toward Cascade Locks. On the southwest and southeast perimeters, contingency line, which primarily follows powerline corridors and roads, is nearly complete. The fire is expected to continue its low intensity burn in Tanner and Big Cedar Springs.
Powerlines serving Cascade Locks from the west have been re-energized following operations to remove snags and complete repairs.
The Oregon State Fire Marshal continues to maintain four structural protection task forces (two working during the day and two at night). These crews are working along with our wildland partners to improve containment lines by supporting burnout operations and patrolling residential areas. As conditions change, these firefighters will be positioned to provide the best protection for homes and other buildings.
Weather is predicted to remain cooler with higher relative humidity and light winds through this evening. Friday and Saturday may present some challenges, with a potential for light east winds and lower relative humidity. A significant rain event is still predicted for Sunday evening and Monday.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 02:26:34 PM »
hope everyone is safe.

with all these environmental issue what does everyone think about global warming?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 08:48:06 PM »
I'm praying for rain and no wind--in my agnostic style (wishing??), which is surprisingly similar to standard Protestant style. I'm pretty certain this is the first time I've prayed for that in the gorge.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 07:12:40 AM »
Crap.  A lot of Hood River is now under some level of evacuation prep.  Map: http://multco.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=d8d1be6dd17342d096ea2091b9882125

September 14th, 2017
UPDATE: Hood River County Evacuation Updates—September 14th, 2017
HOOD RIVER, Ore. - After careful consideration by fire incident commanders and the Hood River County Sheriff's Office, the following changes are being made to Evacuation Levels:

Zones A5 and A6 are being placed on Level Two evacuation notices.

- Adding in the current Level Two zone of A4b, the new boundaries for Level Two will be defined as follows: The northern boundary will be the Columbia River, and the southern boundary will be the south end of Collins Road in Dee. The eastern boundary runs south from 430 Country Club and follows Country Club down to Reed Road, then runs overland due south to Hwy. 281, continuing along 281 to milepost 12.5, then following the Middle Fork of the Hood River until it comes parallel with the south end of Collins Road. The western boundary includes the Kinglsey Reservoir area.

Zones A7, B4, B5, B6 and B7 are now being placed on Level One evacuation notice.

- A7: The northern boundary of this zone begins at the intersection of Highway 281 (Dee Highway) and the Middle Fork of the Hood River (Milepost 12.5) and runs down to the south end of Collins Road in Dee. The southern boundary follows Laurance Lake Road from Clear Creek Road out past Laurance Lake. The eastern boundary follows 281 south to Clear Creek and then south to Laurance Lake.

- B4: The northern boundary of this zone is the Columbia River and the southern boundary is Belmont Drive. The eastern boundary is Rand Road running down to the May Street intersection. The line then continues due south until it reaches Belmont Drive in the 2600 Block area. The western boundary is Country Club Road.

- B5: The northern boundary of this zone uses Belmont, Brookside and Elliot. The southern boundary uses Barrett Drive, running on a straight line through Tucker Road, all the way to the Hood River. The Hood River is the eastern boundary, and Country Club Road is the western boundary.

- B6: The northern boundary of this zone uses Barrett Drive running east-west from Country Club to the Hood River. The southern-eastern boundary follows the Hood River until it reaches Highway 281 (Dee Highway), then follows 281 until Summit Drive. The Hood River is the eastern boundary, and the western boundary is defined by Country Club, beginning at the Barrett intersection, then following it south to Reed Road, then following that line due south until it intersects with 281 at Summit.

- B7: The north-western boundary of this zone begins at the Highway 281 (Dee Highway) and Highway 282 (Odell Highway) junction and follows 281 down to mile post 10.5. The southern boundary follows a straight line east-west using Central Vale Drive. The eastern boundary follows Highway 282 (Odell Highway) until it reaches Straight Hill Road, south to Massee Grade, then intersecting with Highway 35 until Central Vale Drive.

The Cascade Locks area remains at Level Two notice, and the A4a zone running along the I-84 corridor from Exit 47 to Exit 56 remains at Level Three.

The decision to make these changes was based on a series of spot fires and uphill runs that originated in Herman Creek and resulted in the fire becoming established on the ridges east of Gorton Creek and Shellrock Mountain. Firefighters continue to work on strengthening established containment lines, and will be out patrolling and looking for opportunities to prep around structures.

The Hood River County Sheriff's Office would like to remind all affected residents that Level Two means "Be Set" to leave at a moment's notice. Level One means "Be Ready" for the possibility of evacuation. This updated information is available on hoodriversheriff.com and on the Hood River Sheriff Facebook and Twitter pages. All of those sources will have a link to the Interactive Web Map where you can enter your address to see what level you may be under.

The evacuation info recorded lines are 541-399-8022 (English) and 541-399-8023 (Spanish).

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 10:46:30 AM »
Pretty scary vid and pics here as the fire races towards Hood River.
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32933&sid=7d1e19f622cba504ef94f33571e86a09
It takes a quiver to do that.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 12:10:02 PM »
Yes, My shop is in Level 1 area, which has Diane in a tizzy. I'm going to get the brush cleared, but I expect they'll be able to hold the fire at Mitchell Point. The eastward burn is through terrain that makes it impossible to fight fires. One of the problems with fires in the Gorge--it's a gorge.

Rain. Please, rain. And lots of it. 58 days without rain is a record.

Of course, up next on the agenda is mud and rock slides.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 06:28:43 AM »
Saw this incredible photo taken from Wind Mountain. 

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 06:33:16 AM by Admin »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal