Author Topic: New unlimited designs  (Read 6443 times)

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New unlimited designs
« on: September 10, 2017, 12:43:42 PM »
I read this article http://www.totalsup.com/rise-sup-unlimited-division/ and wonder how these new designs are different than the SIC unlimiteds as mentioned in the article.
For example, is the latest NSP unlimited really faster at 15-20 knots wind than a SIC unlimited design? If that is the case, that can be interesting where I live. Here in Mallorca, in the Mediterranean sea we do have more these type of mild conditions.

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: New unlimited designs
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 01:55:54 PM »
At this point nothing is going to revolutionize speed or ease of use.  Every design is a compromised dependent on conditions.

That article is wishful thinking at best... unless of course you're trying to talk yourself into getting an unlimited.

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 02:13:13 PM »
That was a very interesting read, thanks for sharing it! I volunteer to be a test paddler comparing all the boards against each other, like they do in golf magazines - 20 or so golfers that represent all handicap levels spend time smacking balls with clubs from most manufacturers, and they give their opinions good and bad. All the stats are compared using the same standard criteria so it's an even playing field.

Take that concept and apply it to unlimited boards, let's see what veteran and rookie paddlers of varying weight and gender experience on those boards in all conditions possible. The more I think of this and describe it, the more surprised I am that no one is doing this as far as I have seen.

Imagine this applied to demos at major races where all us normal folk get to play on the newest & best equipment, like they do at PPG, but with more boards from all the vendors, and paddlers are asked to rate the boards using universal criteria. This would really be amazing information for consumers at all levels, and all classes.

There's the dream, now we just need to make it happen :)
Custom 16' x 33" x 6", 51.6lbs, all the litres
Starboard Coast Runner (2012) 14' x 28", 38.8lbs 293L
Surftech Universal Blacktip, 11'6" x 32" x 5", 32.8lbs 238L
48yo, 215lbs, 70", Bellingham, WA

Love is never wasted

Jacko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 12:02:01 PM »
Unlimited boards are coming and spreading again. Here is our latest unlimited to add to our already 17'7 flat deck and 17'7 flatwater. This is just a vid a friend made and sent to me so music is not my choice!!lol

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 01:00:22 PM »
^ excellent

Awesome footage, and actually awesome music choice too

Especially if you understand the song.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 01:40:07 PM by yugi »

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 09:35:53 AM »
Very nice video indeed. In what conditions is the dugout version preferable over the flat deck?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 01:47:50 PM »
That was a very interesting read, thanks for sharing it! I volunteer to be a test paddler comparing all the boards against each other, like they do in golf magazines - 20 or so golfers that represent all handicap levels spend time smacking balls with clubs from most manufacturers, and they give their opinions good and bad. All the stats are compared using the same standard criteria so it's an even playing field.

Take that concept and apply it to unlimited boards, let's see what veteran and rookie paddlers of varying weight and gender experience on those boards in all conditions possible. The more I think of this and describe it, the more surprised I am that no one is doing this as far as I have seen.

Imagine this applied to demos at major races where all us normal folk get to play on the newest & best equipment, like they do at PPG, but with more boards from all the vendors, and paddlers are asked to rate the boards using universal criteria. This would really be amazing information for consumers at all levels, and all classes.

There's the dream, now we just need to make it happen :)

It didn't work out as well for the downwind showcase in 2009 but what you describe is exactly what Pono did with the Board and Paddle Showcase back in 2008. 50 boards from (almost) all the major manufacturers on the same beach at the same time. 50 paddlers of all sizes, and abilities.....from groms to old timers....groms were Connor, Zane, and Slater.....I was the official out of shape old newbie.. ;). Every paddler tried whatever boards and paddles they felt like and filled out standard questionnaires for each.

It would be great for something similar to be done for racing and downwind but I wouldn't hold my breath.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 01:50:51 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Jacko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 02:09:44 PM »
Very nice video indeed. In what conditions is the dugout version preferable over the flat deck?

If you like surfing your board and getting in the tail then the Flatdeck if you want to just go as fast as possible then the dugout. I feel the dugout will have a wider wind range and suit a wider range of paddler but the flatdecks still still surf better on a wave or bump but dont flow as well between the bumps.

Maybe i will work on a vid explaining the difference between the boards.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 02:16:55 PM »
I feel the dugout will have a wider wind range and suit a wider range of paddler but the flatdecks still still surf better on a wave or bump but dont flow as well between the bumps.

The dugout would have a wider range in the lower range of the wind/condition spectrum i.e. faster on smaller bumps/marginal wind conditions?

That would be great and with slow motion as your latest videos :-)

Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Jacko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 03:50:27 PM »
I feel the dugout will have a wider wind range and suit a wider range of paddler but the flatdecks still still surf better on a wave or bump but dont flow as well between the bumps.

The dugout would have a wider range in the lower range of the wind/condition spectrum i.e. faster on smaller bumps/marginal wind conditions?

That would be great and with slow motion as your latest videos :-)

Yes wider wind range at the lower end but still able to handle the bigger bumps no worries as well just a different way to ride the board really. Someone who loves surfing the board and is nice and agile could go just as fast on the Flat deck but if you just want to stand and shoot then maybe the dugout is a better option. Both are fast its just what style do you like.
Probably  for guys who want to win big races i see them on Dugouts and for crew who's just want to have fun and really surf the bumps then the Flatdeck might be the better option.

Will work on a vid once i get back home to Aus after PPG.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 04:08:00 PM »
I certainly hope the interest spreads, and that it makes its way outside the downwind niche. It's an old rant that no one really wants to hear anymore, but eliminating board classes entirely would do a world of good for SUP racing. Enough people actually seem to understand how weight, muscle mass and length work to make clear arguments for ditching the arbitrary length limits and letting people race boards that suit them--not just for downwind but for flatwater. It's time to think about that before SUP racing drops to the participation levels of competitive rollerblading.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 03:01:13 AM »
Thx Jacko for the explanation. You know our conditions in Spain. Around Mallorca we have mostly winds between 15-20 knots and the period of the swell is not so big as in the open oceans. In that case which version would you recommend? Dugout or flat deck? I will not participate in downwind races but want to do fun downwind runs and learn more. Currently I have a Jimmy Lewis Rail 14x28 but it is a bit wide for me, was great to start with. Now I am looking into an unlimited board option. There are very few downwind boards in unlimited size in Spain but we are couple of people trying to get into it.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 06:19:36 AM »
Great Video showing the potential for this type of design in lower wind conditions. Does this version have steering?
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 07:38:18 AM »
A big deterrent to unlimiteds is the shipping cost. I had a lot of interest in an unlimited I was recently selling. A few people on the east coast were interested so I got a few coast to coast shipping quotes. You'll notice in the ITEMS: line that it shows " 1 - Kayak over 14' (additional charges applied) "

That is where the 14' class was born.....

I figured I'd have about $50. in crating material costs and about an hour labor to build the crate, foam wrap and box. The board, crating and shipping cost, was just too much extra cost.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 07:57:05 AM »
Not really. The 14' class was born when Naish dictated 14' for their racing series. Everyone else copied that. Shipping stuff started going insane ten years ago, but the effect was minimal at the time 14' became the standard. It's about 7% year to year for ground and 8% for air--75% and 83% respectively over the last decade. Like most things people look at to explain why we're stuck with boards that don't work for half the potential paddlers we look at the end result (or where we are today) and think it's the cause.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal