Author Topic: hollow foil boards for surfing?  (Read 1627 times)

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
hollow foil boards for surfing?
« on: September 10, 2017, 09:54:23 AM »
I used to own a hollow carbon windsurfing board (branded AHD, but I think it was a special one-off for one of the AHD pros at the time).  I hated it on everything but absolutely flat water because it was so lively and stiff, but damn was that thing light.  I think a hollow SUP wouldn't make sense for surfing because of the feel of it, but for foiling I think it would be absolutely awesome with the super low swing-weight and stiff deck.  So, who is going to make the first hollow foil board?

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: hollow foil boards for surfing?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 10:10:33 PM »
Do inflatables count?   ;)  sorry couldn't resist!

I remember a guy where I sailed had a HyperTech hollow board and boy you could hear that thing from 2 miles away... POP POP POP!  Sounded like someone shooting a gun or something.

I think they make hollow race SUPs right?  I don't see why those places couldn't do the same with a foil specific board.  I'd give it shot!... meaning , riding it, not making it!

I wonder with a super light setup if the wind would start become more of a factor?... a negative one.  Today, my 4th day in the surf, I had a bit of a side wind and it seemed like the wind was causing me and the foil, while foiling, to turn off the wind... which was not down the line like I was trying to do.  It was a bit of a pain.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal