Author Topic: Foil Videos  (Read 256663 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foil Videos
« Reply #135 on: July 13, 2018, 06:01:19 AM »
Crazy French People again:

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 13, 2018, 06:04:03 AM »
Just plane CRAZY COOL:

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 06:25:56 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 13, 2018, 06:28:02 AM »
This was posted elsewhere but good, inspirational, cutting edge stuff (as of today July 13th, 2018) from Zane winning the Maui to Molokai crossing. 

Note:  There are no visible whitecaps in this sequence and he is happily flying away:

https://youtu.be/hZM050oZ56g

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 13, 2018, 06:33:04 AM »
More impressive foiling from Zane:

https://youtu.be/vDR_ZtYvOZ4

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 13, 2018, 06:40:51 AM »
I watched this one on my phone but didn't listen to the audio.

As Chris Bertish says "The Future is NOW!"  He is inspirational and he is right.

https://youtu.be/y7RRUWh5Ins

I was "Electric Bike SUP Foiling" with Chris and Jeff Clark back in March.  He had just unpacked his GoFoil IWA and the Blue Jimmy Lewis prone board shown in the video.  He has clearly gotten better because he was whining just a tad about adapting/relearning the IWA from the Kai foil. 

Chris may be a super-hero BUT realize that he went from his FIRST RIDE on the GoFoil IWA to this video, published in June, in less than 3 months. 

I am going to say it again FOILING IS EASY 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 06:57:33 AM by Beasho »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 13, 2018, 07:25:39 AM »
Looks like Zane is on an Iwa. Interesting. I would have figured he'd be on a smaller foil in surf of any kind. I'm having a great summer in Hood River, but I'm jonesing to surf foil. So far the downwind foiling isn't happening, but that's more from lack of trying than anything else.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 13, 2018, 07:44:14 AM »
Here is a non-foiler question.  Are the Kenalu IWA and GoFoil IWA related or do they just happen to share the name?

To further confuse the uninitiated, Kenalu states that they are the “go to” foil.  ;D

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 08:15:37 AM by Bean »

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: July 13, 2018, 10:43:24 AM »
Here is a non-foiler question.  Are the Kenalu IWA and GoFoil IWA related or do they just happen to share the name? To further confuse the uninitiated, Kenalu states that they are the “go to” foil.  ;D

They are not related. The KeNalu 'IWA has an apostrophe in front of it. Also the designs are not very similar. I know this because both foils were just sitting side by side at my installers shop. We were curious also about any similarities. The KeNalu 'IWA775 is considered the go to for small wave foilers in the surf for those who chose to go w/a Kenalu foil.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 13, 2018, 05:41:22 PM »
Looking forward to seeing how the 775 works for you SC.  At some point I believe I will have to dive in to the foil scene.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2018, 06:38:31 PM »
Well let's see if this is going to work....

https://youtu.be/G0h1YOuXLmQ

Something of a nothing burger of a wave, and a day, but fun nonetheless.

Interesting, this was the first time I've ever seen myself surf, and I was surprised to see how the wave looked a little bigger on vid than it did standing on top of it. I remember starting down the line, and suddenly thinking, "where'd the wave go?", and the went searching for it.

Looks like there was something still a little further south, and probably should have just kept going, but l couldn't see it , and turned to where I thought I might find a little more juice....not so much.  :-\
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 15, 2018, 12:24:50 PM »
Interesting, this was the first time I've ever seen myself surf, and I was surprised to see how the wave looked a little bigger on vid than it did standing on top of it.

Cool!  For the viewing public - How Many Sessions had you ridden a foil to get to this video?

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 15, 2018, 12:32:31 PM »
I have tried to articulate why the foil so appealing.  Most recently I have been flying down the line, doing a 180 degree cutback and then cutting back again as I hit the whitewater.  To do this on a surfboard requires a BIG wave with down the line power.   There has to be enough of a shoulder to race away from the barrel and then cutback without stalling.  You then must maintain speed back into the face of the wave and  bottom turn again.

To do all of this typically requires an 8 to 10 foot clean, perfect face.  With the foil this is all possible with 2 and 3 foot imperfect waves.

Here is Blane Chambers putting it in his words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNqWQK-0anA
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 12:34:23 PM by Beasho »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: July 15, 2018, 01:53:25 PM »
Interesting, this was the first time I've ever seen myself surf, and I was surprised to see how the wave looked a little bigger on vid than it did standing on top of it.

Cool!  For the viewing public - How Many Sessions had you ridden a foil to get to this video?
That's kind of a tough one to answer succinctly, just because of how I tripped, stumbled, and bumbled my way out for the foiling starting blocks with all the wrong equipment initially, and really didn't get going until I finally got everything squared away in mid April.

So got a couple dozen frustrating sessions on a board/foil that wouldn't/couldn't fly me but was at least good practice on learning to paddle, and proper foot placement to turn for a wave on a foil. But since the time I got the right stuff that works, I'd say somewhere around 30-35 sessions give or take, to get to the point I'm at in that video. 

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: July 15, 2018, 02:01:38 PM »
I have tried to articulate why the foil so appealing.  Most recently I have been flying down the line, doing a 180 degree cutback and then cutting back again as I hit the whitewater.  To do this on a surfboard requires a BIG wave with down the line power.   There has to be enough of a shoulder to race away from the barrel and then cutback without stalling.  You then must maintain speed back into the face of the wave and  bottom turn again.

To do all of this typically requires an 8 to 10 foot clean, perfect face.  With the foil this is all possible with 2 and 3 foot imperfect waves.

Here is Blane Chambers putting it in his words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNqWQK-0anA
Yes, turning is a whole new ball game, that I'm still figuring out. First couple of times my surf/sup mentality kicked in where I buried the tail/rail, and off to the moon foil, board, and myself went.

Now actually have to think about pointing the nose down as/when I start to turn - and why on a couple of those in the vid I'm touching down more than I want to, having not figured out exactly how much down I should be giving it yet on a particular sized wave - and then let the speed of the new found energy closer to the pocket pick me back up, accelerate me through the rest of the turn, and back back the line.

Still a work in progress, but why this foiling stuff is so fun...there's always something new to learn, and feel with it.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: July 15, 2018, 06:24:51 PM »
I'd say somewhere around 30-35 sessions give or take, to get to the point I'm at in that video.
Impressive. That was a super cool ride you scored, Sano and I feel really good about actually seeing you sup foiling. Your advice and encouragement meant and still means alot to me for inspiration to foil. It's a long list though.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal