Author Topic: Foil Videos  (Read 259013 times)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Re: Foil Videos
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2018, 07:26:58 AM »
Dreamy looking setup and I'm impressed by this foil surfing:

Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Newps

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2018, 02:04:12 PM »
Dreamy looking setup and I'm impressed by this foil surfing:

Clay sir you are correct.....that was sooooo smooth.  I like how he transitioned from one turn to the next, very pleasing to the eye.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'4" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 112L
L41 SIMSUP S5 - 7'6" x 27 1/2" x 4 3/16" 106L
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'8" x 31"x 4 1/2" 122L - Modded w/ a King's TUT Tuttle box and using a King's foil.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'10" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 120L
Starboard Whopper - 10' x 34" x 4 1/3" 171L - w/ FCS GL-1 fins

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2018, 03:46:08 PM »
Here is a great one from Seabreeze (Colas).  Most interesting are his comments about the rear wing.  I was wondering about this because the rear wings all apply downforce with reversed camber (e.g. upside down wing).  At speed the GoFoils all get super Bunking-Bronco esc and try to throw you unless you put ALL your weight on the front foot.  What Colas is suggesting is that the rear wing is providing the majority of this moment due probably from the leverage of the rear wing being 2 feet back and pushing DOWN 4X as much for every 2X increase in speed.  This may help with the bigger waves.

Colas said: "Note that Beryl weights 66kg and is on the biggest Gong foil wing (the 80cm wide one). But he uses a smaller kite stab (45cm) to still be manoeuverable, and fast. On the Gong foil (at least) the stab is what can limit the speed: you can go very fast even with big wings by using a faster stab, and Gong modular system provides a lot of stab sizes. This is the new modular "Allvator" Gong foil, alu mast and carbon+glass wings at 399 euros."

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2018, 04:28:00 PM »
Note that Beryl weights 66kg and is on the biggest Gong foil wing (the 80cm wide one). But he uses a smaller kite stab (45cm) to still be manoeuverable, and fast.
I'm so not dialed into the specs for foils. But the KeNalu Iwa775 is recommended for surf and sup so I went w/it. Very cool video. I liked when he got into that tripod stance and dragged a foot. Also what's the paddle in the air thing from the sup riders? Guessing it's a sign of respect.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2018, 11:26:59 PM »
[quote author)Also what's the paddle in the air thing from the sup riders? Guessing it's a sign of respect.
[/quote]
I’m thinking they may be swatting at the pesky drone flying overhead. I would

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2018, 07:58:30 PM »
I’m thinking they may be swatting at the pesky drone flying overhead. I would
lol...I kinda like the drone pov..but then again I've only gotten a coupla clips from them! They can be intrusive for sure. I watched the vid again and came to the conclusion it's a "Paddle Tube" the sup riders created for the flying wonder boy! He tucks into it as he cruzes through!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2018, 04:54:12 PM »

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2018, 06:27:43 AM »
Different angle messing around yesterday at LRL southside Maui.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 23, 2018, 06:56:12 AM »
Alex Aguerra, inventor of the GoFoil and all of this madness, on his Maliko 200.

He appears to be painlessly pumping all over the place in small feckless surf.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2018, 11:50:42 AM »
Really nice video of Alex...but I would have liked to have seen some of his takeoffs in those small conditions just to see the technique he's using to get into them.

As we've discussed here before, in small stuff like that, I've found that you more or less have to have near perfect timing, and pump the foil into the wave vs simply paddling a SUP board into it, reaching speed, and then flying the foil.

While I'm getting better at that, there's still a lot of attempted pumping into small waves that goes unrewarded...sometimes to the point that I'll get winded after a couple back to back unsuccessful attempts, and have to take a break (it's great getting old, and missing some (a lot?) of the energy of my youth :().

Alex might be doing the same thing, but if he's not, and has some other method of getting into that small stuff....I'd sure like to see it, and try it myself.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: June 28, 2018, 04:12:47 AM »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: June 28, 2018, 07:07:26 AM »
Those Horue guys are having way too much fun. All of their videos are pretty creative, well produced, and their highlighting of their products turns a new corner with every one it seems (who wouldn't want to ride a foil with friends at their next backyard pool party?). Thanks for posting DJ, hadn't seen that one yet.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2018, 10:13:40 AM »
Video and edit by Ronnie Simpson, this is the extended version of his "Loyal to the Foil" video project. In the interview, Robert Stehlik talks about: - The history of foiling, going from the Air Chair hydrofoil, how it got adapted to two in foiling and more recently the development of bigger, thicker foils that can fly at lower speeds and allow foiling in the surf and in downwinders, pioneered by Alex Aguera of GoFoil. -How foiling works and the cool feeling of being able to fly over the surface of the ocean. -Breaching and how to minimize the wipeouts that are hard to avoid for beginners. -How foiling changed my daily routine and how small, sloppy surf can be a lot of fun. - Kai Lenny kick starting off the wave of hydrofoil surfing by posting an engaging video about downwind foiling and Dave Kalama motivating me to get better. - The importance of having the right equipment- right foil size and board size. - The difficulty of doing downwind foiling and how it's harder than learning in the surf. - learning behind a boat. - The business side of foiling and the SUP industry. - How the market for foiling seems to be bigger than expected. - The R&D process of developing foil boards and how the shapes have changed as a result of many hours on the water doing research and development. Yes, it's a tough job :)
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 10, 2018, 01:41:43 PM »
Video and edit by Ronnie Simpson. . . .

Great video Robert.  This really encapsulates the Foil Stoke. 

I have been foiling in New England for the last several weeks in some REALLY bad conditions.  Example 3 ft @ 7 seconds.  I thought the foils wouldn't work in anything less than a 10 second interval.  No way!!!!  The foil just keeps on Giving!!!!!

This phenomena hasn't hit the East Coast of the US yet but it feels like Windsurfing in the late 70's.  Relegated ONLY to Hawaii.  People thought it wouldn't work anywhere else.  Hang On!!!!!!

As I said from the beginning FOILING IS EASY.  Flying down the line and doing a 180 degree cutback on a 2 foot wave and then doing another 180 off the 'lip' was not possible in anything less than an 8 foot face with power.  On the foil every wave feels like big wave surfing. 

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: July 10, 2018, 01:55:59 PM »
Great video Robert.  This really encapsulates the Foil Stoke. 
I thought the same thing. I like when he said towing into big waves w/a PWC seemed too complicated.

FOILING IS EASY.
Learning how to do it maybe not so much? I'm only one 60 min session in so definitely needing more time. Will report back.  :P

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard