Author Topic: Shark Eyes Deterrent Stickers  (Read 15387 times)

OCD

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Shark Eyes Deterrent Stickers
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2018, 11:58:08 AM »
Genius for grabbing a few bucks. I guess you only have to worry about leaving the board alone on the beach..... sea gulls pick out the eyes first !

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2018, 01:58:36 PM »
I can understand the concept of overloading their sensory system but it seems like it would draw them in before shooing them away. Great for the person 20' away.... :o

Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2018, 12:39:04 AM »
Well  a few things we do know     most if not all bites by great whites  are a case of mistaken identity       if  you look like a seal you are eligible for a taste test   
 As i understand it no great white survives in captivity   not positive of this but  i think i read it was  something to do with a magnetic  field  very low level produced   by the tanks,   but it may have nothing to do with that. So if not then all these magnets things are  well baloney.  The eyes are interesting though   some how i dont think that if a seal  looks at a shark  he is going to win the stare contest..but maybe   he might  ya never know.   

Since sharks like to ambush   maybe the eyes  do do something . I say  put a pair of eyes on that  dead seal they towed and  lets see?

There was a fascinating  discovery or nat geo  show about  an orca  near the farallons  killing a great white   and ripping  out his liver.   It  happened while the science  team  was tracking a number  of whites     and within  a very short period  like a couple of hours   every great white around  vanished.    Apparently  they all dove very deep  and  werent recorded again until they  surfaced at   what the show called something like the "shark cafe" hundreds of miles away.   
We know their sense of smell  is incedible      and the theory there was the whites smelled it  .(the liver of the dead shark) From what i remember.  It would seem   the orcas are fond of great white shark liver pate`  !
The science team said the orcas went for the liver  and apparently ignored the rest.  At least i think it was the liver  ?   

That seems to me to be something that is wort exploring by biologists .  Not unlike  bear spray to a griz,  Does bear spray work on mountain lions?   Then again  i wonder if one deterent would work on more than one species of shark?
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2018, 01:07:38 AM »
I remember that show when that happened at the Farallons. But I do not remember the cause for the sharks disappearing being the liver scent. I could be wrong. The same thing happened about 2 years ago all along the south african coast. Several orcas killed about 4-6 sharks all along the coast and the shark researchers could not find a great white for about a year.  In that original nat geo show, that was quite a while ago too. But i thought they made a connection just to the smell of death of another shark.  I thought they made a connection to other dead sharks let out a smell that kept other sharks away. I thought the "death" connection was made from other species besides the great white from shark nets. With the theory being, to leave the sharks that die in the nets, in the nets to let the odor emanate and keep other  sharks away.  That was a good show.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2018, 09:51:51 AM »
Wetsuits with the scent of dead shark. Call it the S-Bomb.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal