Author Topic: Shark Eyes Deterrent Stickers  (Read 15343 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Shark Eyes Deterrent Stickers
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2018, 03:30:52 PM »
you dont surf with an abalone basket, biggie?

to each his own........
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2018, 04:12:34 PM »
Vegetariano. No pollo. 🤭
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 04:22:47 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2018, 05:33:02 PM »
I wear shark Sharkbanz and hope they work according to their video?

I wouldn't trust a set of "painted eyes" on a board to protect me from a hungry shark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY6U9j3ZVes
In all fairness it's kind of a silly test. Virtually nothing will "stop" a hungry shark from eating...
The goal is deter it from eating you vs the next guy or ...

The test should have had 3 test fish at the same time with 2 fish have the "deterent". Wash rinse repeat until you can conclude something.  Like the guy in  woods with track shoes, he doesn't have to out run the bear he just has to out run the other guy .

That said, ive never noticed magnets in my  shark tank have any effect on sharks that I could tell. And they were really big powerful magnets.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 05:37:22 PM by Fishman »
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2018, 06:33:37 PM »
The SharkBanz are carefully designed to entice people to part with 74 bucks for a plastic bracelet with a 12 cent neodymium magnet in it. If you believed that the ampulae of Lorenzini are susceptible to magnetism you could buy a handful of them and stick them in your boardshorts. I bought 100 for 12 bucks to use for jigging aluminum parts to my welding table.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2018, 03:19:30 AM »
haha biggie
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2018, 12:07:08 PM »
I wear shark Sharkbanz and hope they work according to their video?

I wouldn't trust a set of "painted eyes" on a board to protect me from a hungry shark like I wouldn't trust Sharkbanz to protect me when a shark is in hunting mode for food.

As for Sharkbanz, take a look at the video below showing what happens when a shark comes along and is "really" hungry with Sharkbanz very close by.....like a few inches away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY6U9j3ZVes

thanks for the info Night Wing and it sux when you pay $ that a product doesn't actually work  :o
that sharkbanz is version 1 and mind is the version 2 and maybe its better, I must be dreaming  ::)

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2018, 05:36:25 PM »
apology to hijack the shark eyes deterrent topic :)

I'm still not convince that sharkbanz doesn't work and one way to find out is to hear from others who survive or had a close encounter?

I think when it comes to shark deterrent you better makesure the product work would you say.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2018, 08:49:52 PM »
The problem is that actual attacks from sharks are so rare that there isn't any way to get useful data. The videos Sharkbanz uses to "prove" the bands are effective use food that sharks actually hunt for to lure the sharks, and so does the video above. The problem with video is that it can be edited. You could spend two minutes editing the video above and make it look like the Sharkbanz works perfectly. In any case, all of the videos are irrelevant unless you are surfing with a lot of bleeding fish attached to your wetsuit.

If a SharkBanz makes you more comfortable being in the water, enjoying sports you love then it's working. Wear it in good health and don't worry about it. Just don't buy any more of them. Get a bunch of magnets and stick them in a pocket.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 08:56:05 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2018, 11:02:38 PM »
Here is some useful data.

Some years ago I was invited on a couple of Great White shark-deterrent research trips off Seal Island in False Bay, South Africa - the one where the Great Whites breach when they attack the seals. The experiment consisted of towing 4 dummy seals (made of rubber) behind the boat. One seal was all black and the other 3 had three different designs on them. Over a period of 4 years there were 70 odd hits on the dummy seals with the spread being something like 50x hits on black - 9x design no.1 - 10x design no.2 and only once on design no.3.

The one hit on dummy-seal with the preferred design happened when water was murky (they also recorded water visibility with each hit).

Conclusions: Great Whites use vision to identify prey, you don't want to look alike a seal and if water is murky they might make a mistake......Design no.3 offers protection in good visibility and design no.2 was stripes.....

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2018, 07:58:02 AM »
what was ddesign three?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2018, 08:44:37 AM »
I was being imprecise--I should have said "attacks on humans".

Thanks for that information PeterP. I've never much doubted that it's a good idea not to look like a seal, though 70 hits in 4 years of doing your best to simulate one in infamously dangerous (for a seal) waters makes it clear why there are still plenty of seals. While diving I've seen shortboarders from the vantage point of a shark, and if I were a GW I'd bite them, and the way some of them act I might bite them anyway. Sup surfing with a bunch of shortboarders around feels like it's worth the stinkeye just for the early warning benefit. And to the point of this thread, the eyes approach is probably worthwhile just from the "doesn't look like a seal" aspect, though it might be a bit subtle where sharks are concerned. Stripes--cool. I've always loved this classic Harbor longboard color scheme. Top and bottom might be reassuring.

I look at the basic math of a shark attack on people as well as the underlying, minuscule numbers. You practically have to land on the shark when falling in the water for its presence in your break to matter (and as Dave Peterson learned, landing on them tends to discourage them)--unless you're very slow getting on your board and accompany the effort with a lot of kicking and splashing. Given the volume of the usual break, and the number of more tempting targets, it's a very low probability event as applied to you. For the entire herd of surfers the probability is higher, but it's still at the level of winning a really unpleasant lottery--especially since I'm not holding a ticket (not impersonating a seal or smelling like a lot of dead fish).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 09:01:36 AM by PonoBill »

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2018, 09:19:44 AM »
Years back I was windsurfing with a buddy on Bodega Bay in Northern California. While we were out I asked him what that raft/structure was........oh......that’s the shark observation platform. Definately helped my water starts. His wife at the time was an abalone researcher but she showed me a picture she had taken while on a research vessel in the area. They were towing a surfboard behind the boat. The picture was of a great white that had hit the board so hard from below that it launched the board and shark completely out of the water in the air vertically side by side...the shark was over 9 ft in length measured by the side by side surfboard. Very few recorded cases of sharks hitting windsurfers in the water, thought to be due to the shape of the floating sail beside the board.

I am much happier but likely less safe dealing with the occasional log in the water. Vanishingly rare shark sightings in our area. Perhaps too many orcas around.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2018, 10:37:08 AM »
Shark week had some interesting  experiments this year concerning the electrical deterrents and whether they would work or not.  The one show that they did an experiment on was called "Laws of jaws". They basically simulated the conditions of 5 attacks.  One of the simulations was the attack on the kite surfer that was attacked and died off of Jupiter Florida several years ago.  The hypothesis was that if he had an electrically charged leash, would it have saved him.  This was done in the Bahamas with 2 bull sharks underneath him. At first it kept the sharks away, as in the first go at him. Each successive charge, the sharks made it closer to him before being deterred. By like the third charge, he was having to kick them away and the safety divers had to intervene with some sort of underwater whistle. The result in my opinion was that electric leash would not work and I would not trust anything like it after watching the 2 sharks behavior.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2018, 11:17:45 AM »
There has been a lot of shark deterrent effort focused on the ampulae of Lorenzini despite the actual function of that sensory organ being poorly understood. In fact, it's probably the fact that it's poorly understood that leads to the interest. Electric signals travel through salt water by a sheet resistance effect which reduces the signal much more quickly than the usual inverse square of the distance--more like the inverse cube of the distance. The basic physics indicates it's a very short range detection system. Overloading it MIGHT induce something akin to pain, in the same way a loud noise might deter a bear. But the bear would have to be half-hearted in his effort to get a meal for it to work consistently.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2018, 11:24:03 AM »
Here is Tom Carroll's pitch.

Totally pleased with his ear plugs but not sure if this has legs...

https://sharkshield.com/team-member/tom-carroll/

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM