Author Topic: Best Tie Down Straps?  (Read 8825 times)

supthecreek

Re: Best Tie Down Straps?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 07:17:44 PM »
one rope system... truckers knot, ezey peeze . zero noise, tight but giving.... cheap. 100' rope coil for $15 bucks will provide new tie down for years.

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2017, 11:43:20 PM »
I just finished my first year with my cheapo Amazon straps. They are supple, cams only barely showing corrosion. I agree that straps should last 3-4 yrs, like my old nrs kayak straps did.

I'm digging the rope idea from Pono and Creek, then I wouldn't have to worry about having to twist the straps to quiet them, much cheaper and simpler. Imma give it a try for sure!
Custom 16' x 33" x 6", 51.6lbs, all the litres
Starboard Coast Runner (2012) 14' x 28", 38.8lbs 293L
Surftech Universal Blacktip, 11'6" x 32" x 5", 32.8lbs 238L
48yo, 215lbs, 70", Bellingham, WA

Love is never wasted

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2017, 07:01:09 AM »
I stole my rope system from Dave Kalama who has perfected his to a ridiculous degree. For a double rack on a tall vehicle, it's fantastic. I cut a length more than double what I need for one side, then tie it in the middle of the rack. I leave it in place all the time. No need to climb around getting straps in place and I can get a rope onto a board immediately in wind. The method for loading is to toss both front ropes across to the side you are NOT loading on, back ropes hanging down in the middle. Slide the board on from the back and flip a back rope on as you slide it forward. Now you can secure the board without letting go of it until you have the rope tight. go to the front rack and toss both ropes across and tie one. Load the second board and toss the second front rope across.

Cheap half-inch rope lasts for years, looks good, and won't crush your rails, won't buzz, doesn't mark up your board. I have no idea why people use straps.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2017, 08:35:17 AM »
For an open bed truck with racks -> using rope is the way to go.  We do that on trucks shuttling boards for DW and actually would not use or recommend straps for that.  We simply use a trucker's knot and a few half hitches and are good.  They are left tied on all the time and take 6 boards easy.  Perfect for that but is not lockable.

For a car -> we always use straps.  Is fast easy and lockable secure.  Plus we just throw the excess in the car and close the doors.  Nothing dangles flapping in the wind and no tying off with half hitches.  The D-Lock cannot release on its own.  So do not use rope for that.  Have seen no one around here ever use ropes for a car.

Both methods do the job -> but each has pros and cons like anything.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

drfierce

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 09:15:27 AM »
I stole my rope system from Dave Kalama who has perfected his to a ridiculous degree. For a double rack on a tall vehicle, it's fantastic. I cut a length more than double what I need for one side, then tie it in the middle of the rack. I leave it in place all the time. No need to climb around getting straps in place and I can get a rope onto a board immediately in wind. The method for loading is to toss both front ropes across to the side you are NOT loading on, back ropes hanging down in the middle. Slide the board on from the back and flip a back rope on as you slide it forward. Now you can secure the board without letting go of it until you have the rope tight. go to the front rack and toss both ropes across and tie one. Load the second board and toss the second front rope across.

Cheap half-inch rope lasts for years, looks good, and won't crush your rails, won't buzz, doesn't mark up your board. I have no idea why people use straps.
Pono do you a link to any video or photos showing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Naish Odysseus 9'8
SIC Bullet 12.6 TWC
Supsports Hammer 9'5x31

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 07:45:41 AM »
i will throw in the luxury  option.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/sport-rack/surfboard-roof-racks/thule-sup-taxi-_-1686830

i have one on my car and one on my van. i got so tired of messing with friggin straps.

the thule taxi is awesome, you cab take it on and off easy if you dont use regularly.
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2017, 10:40:23 AM »
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,24753.msg250239.html#msg250239

Bummer on the NRS straps TallDude. Sorry to hear that. I know I have touted them here more than once.
I wonder if salt water has anything to do with the cams? 2-3 seasons for me may make up a years worth of use for you.
The Mile 22 ones have caught my eye. Look good.

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 12:56:27 PM »
I want to thank everyone who took the time to respond here. I really appreciate all of the recommendations. I decided to order the Mile22 straps. Cheers!
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2017, 01:42:18 PM »
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,24753.msg250239.html#msg250239

Bummer on the NRS straps TallDude. Sorry to hear that. I know I have touted them here more than once.
I wonder if salt water has anything to do with the cams? 2-3 seasons for me may make up a years worth of use for you.
The Mile 22 ones have caught my eye. Look good.
I paddle just about every other day, year round in the ocean. My straps are wet all the time. If I paddle two days in a row, they don't even get a chance to dry out. My boards come out of the water and straight onto my roof racks, so the straps and cams get the saltwater test every time. I know that's why the cams are corroded. Seeing that's what my straps are subjected to, the FCS D-ring or the non-metallic locking buckle on the Mile22 straps would probably be better for me.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut
Today at 07:18:48 AM
foiled again