Author Topic: How to glass with tint so it's not streaky?  (Read 9856 times)

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
How to glass with tint so it's not streaky?
« on: September 06, 2017, 06:20:57 PM »
I've been seeing a lot of streaky tint jobs on expensive professionally built name-brand retro design surfboards and sups lately as if streaky was acceptable back in the day when I know it wasn't. I don't understand it. I used tint once when I was a kid and it was streaky so I never used it again.

Does anyone have any tips on how to do a single color tint (bright yellow) that won't be streaky?

Thanks
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to glass with tint so it's not streaky?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 08:19:55 PM »
The yellow board is a lemon yellow tint. I tinted every batch of resin I mixed, mainly because I used Innegra which doesn't really take color very well. I suck at color work. Need more guidance, help, and experience.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 09:02:17 PM »
Biggreen   Well, that looks pretty dang good! Does the board look as good as it does in the picture? So you added tint to every batch - even the hot coat?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 01:18:10 AM »
Just to get this clear are you talking

Tints - ie semi translucent colours

Or

Pigment - opaque/solid colours

These are two different methods of colouring resin using two different products.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 03:00:44 PM »
Tint, although it would be interesting to read your techniques for pigment too.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:11:02 PM by magentawave »

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 03:27:10 PM »

Tints and eps do not go well together due to the un even nature of the beads/holes  in the eps. Some of the very high density eps blanks you get for surfboards are OK but still not great. I would personly never do a tint on eps due to this less than perfect Finnish it gives.

Thinking about it if you really want to go to the effort you could glass the blank with say a light 4oz cloth and clear resin then glass the hole thing again with the tint. I have never tried this but would probably give you the best chance.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 04:00:44 PM »
Biggreen   Well, that looks pretty dang good! Does the board look as good as it does in the picture?

Ahh, so you've heard of my ten foot rule, eh Magenta? I normally don't allow anyone within ten feet of my boards. That way they won't see how mediocre my skills truly are. Damn, someone must have snuck close and let the cat out of the bag. I may have to expand the circle.

Well after my post last night I walked to my shop to verify if what I said was correct. It was not. That lemon yellow is a pigment, not tint. The next two pics are of boards that are lime green tint. And I tinted every batch, even the hotcoat. The first is Innegra, sglass (and the dreaded vector net). The second is all sglass.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 04:16:20 PM »

Tints and eps do not go well together due to the un even nature of the beads/holes  in the eps. Some of the very high density eps blanks you get for surfboards are OK but still not great. I would personly never do a tint on eps due to this less than perfect Finnish it gives.

Thinking about it if you really want to go to the effort you could glass the blank with say a light 4oz cloth and clear resin then glass the hole thing again with the tint. I have never tried this but would probably give you the best chance.

On one of the painted boards I did last year I mixed latex Kilz with spackle and sealed the blank to prep for paint. I had a really nice surprisingly bright white blank after doing that. I imagine you could do this or just use your preferred sealing method and white acrylic paint and then tint the glass as usual. I suspect either supuk's idea or a white painted, sealed blank would render good results. Hell, do both, it's only money....and post your results!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 11:26:02 AM »
I'll bet the epoxy seal job would help too. You could white pigment it or add microballons and get a solid white.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 02:28:20 PM »
I have just laid up some samples to test my theory's so will let you know tomorrow.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 06:22:35 PM »
I have just laid up some samples to test my theory's so will let you know tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to reading/seeing your results. Thank you.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 06:40:39 PM »
Biggreen   Well, that looks pretty dang good! Does the board look as good as it does in the picture?

Ahh, so you've heard of my ten foot rule, eh Magenta? I normally don't allow anyone within ten feet of my boards. That way they won't see how mediocre my skills truly are. Damn, someone must have snuck close and let the cat out of the bag. I may have to expand the circle.

Well after my post last night I walked to my shop to verify if what I said was correct. It was not. That lemon yellow is a pigment, not tint. The next two pics are of boards that are lime green tint. And I tinted every batch, even the hotcoat. The first is Innegra, sglass (and the dreaded vector net). The second is all sglass.

Did you bag the integra? Do you remember the weight of the carbon you used on the deck of the green board? And did you bag the carbon? (I'm asking cuz I used 6 oz carbon last time and it sucked up resin like a sponge. And since I didn't bag the carbon it was really thick at the edges which was a total pain in the ass to deal with it because of the height differential between the edge of the carbon and the cloth below. And I couldn't sand the edge because the black carbon powder would stain the cloth below. Aaargh.)

If I was set up with an ideal space for shaping and glassing then there'd be no question that I would build my next board myself again. So I'm psyching myself to build or kinda sub out the cutting, shaping and glassing this time.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 06:44:26 PM by magentawave »

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 01:54:54 AM »
Here is the sample I did very quickly. The best result I got was a layer of 4oz first to seal the blank and give a smooth surface and then a tinted double 6oz over the top with a tinted hot coat. Even then it's not perfect and it's going to take a lot longer and cost a bit more but I think to get something at least even close to a poly tint it'may be the only way.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 04:37:31 AM »
Nice sample board Charlie.  My son and I did a few boards early on to see what worked together as far as paint and resin (low-VOC styrene).
Are you using lightweight spackle or some sort of epoxy-based sealer?
I was thinking of making samples including a layer of acrylic paint over lightweight spackle to validate the ideas from Magenta's other thread.

http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 11:56:49 PM »
i still using light weight filler however its still to un even for a tint and its the same with a epoxy mix, to get a good tint you really need a very consistent substrate  and I think you would have to have very dense eps for that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal