Author Topic: Heat Shrink Tape Vs. Electrical Tape  (Read 6561 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Heat Shrink Tape Vs. Electrical Tape
« on: September 06, 2017, 06:22:32 AM »
I recently noticed the trend of using heat shrink tape to seal the paddle joints instead of
the time tested popular electrical tape. Anyone using this?

What are the advantages/disadvantages over electrical tape? Any product recommendations?
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Heat Shrink Tape Vs. Electrical Tape
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 08:06:49 AM »
Sometimes, when I'm not being too lazy--tape is easier and doesn't require forethought. Any properly sized heat shrink will work. It's nice to use something close to the final diameter so the tape doesn't get too thick.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 09:37:24 AM »
I'll bet self fusing silicone tape would work well.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 09:42:19 AM »
We use heat shrink at our shop for glued handles because electric tape wound around the joint tends to twist the handle a bit while the epoxy cures resulting in a crooked handle- very annoying.
If you wait for the glue to fully cure before applying tape, that can work, or you can just do without covering the joint if it's clean and sealed but we find that heat shrink (and blue painters tape to hold the handle in place) works best to ensure a solid, compeltely sealed joint.   It's important to hang the paddle upside down for curing to keep the epoxy where it's supposed to be and not running down inside the shaft. 
The only exception are our Kai Zen paddles which have oval ferrules that can't twist and are glued with hot glue, on those paddles I prefer electrical tape as it's easy to use and has a lower profile.

Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 09:43:58 AM »
On my downwind paddle I used silicone tape around the joint between the shaft and the blade. It worked great, providing good protection against any paddle slams in that area, plus I used bright orange to make the paddle easy to see when either lost in the water or waving for attention from a distance.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 11:40:51 AM »
I am a licensed electrician and an electrical engineer who works in petrochemical refining, and I use Scotch 33+ tape exclusively because it stretches uniformly, has superior adhesion, and is relatively inexpensive.

I use several layers on the edge of my blades, and overlapping layers on the blade/shaft joint. The trick with any electrical tape is that you must stretch it as you apply it to allow it to adhere properly. I don't use it on the base of my handle because it starts to come off with friction, and I like using enough epoxy to make sure the joint is sealed :)
Custom 16' x 33" x 6", 51.6lbs, all the litres
Starboard Coast Runner (2012) 14' x 28", 38.8lbs 293L
Surftech Universal Blacktip, 11'6" x 32" x 5", 32.8lbs 238L
48yo, 215lbs, 70", Bellingham, WA

Love is never wasted

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 01:40:40 PM »
I am a licensed electrician and an electrical engineer who works in petrochemical refining, and I use Scotch 33+ tape exclusively because it stretches uniformly, has superior adhesion, and is relatively inexpensive.

I use several layers on the edge of my blades, and overlapping layers on the blade/shaft joint. The trick with any electrical tape is that you must stretch it as you apply it to allow it to adhere properly. I don't use it on the base of my handle because it starts to come off with friction, and I like using enough epoxy to make sure the joint is sealed :)

The Scotch is my go to as well and I use it the same way, sometime on both ends and on the blade edges (depends on the paddle), but it does take water over time, not a biggie but it looks like the
heat shrink tape is a cleaner solution that won't take water. Also looks simple enough to do at the same time while attaching paddle parts.

We use heat shrink at our shop for glued handles because electric tape wound around the joint tends to twist the handle a bit while the epoxy cures resulting in a crooked handle- very annoying.
If you wait for the glue to fully cure before applying tape, that can work, or you can just do without covering the joint if it's clean and sealed but we find that heat shrink (and blue painters tape to hold the handle in place) works best to ensure a solid, compeltely sealed joint.   It's important to hang the paddle upside down for curing to keep the epoxy where it's supposed to be and not running down inside the shaft. 
The only exception are our Kai Zen paddles which have oval ferrules that can't twist and are glued with hot glue, on those paddles I prefer electrical tape as it's easy to use and has a lower profile.

Thanks Robert, that's what I was looking to hear. What's your go to product and do you carry it on your on-line? please send a link for ordering.
in progress...

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 08:07:28 AM »
Hi Burchas,
We buy pre-cut shrink tape in bulk and include it with paddles we sell but currently don't have it on our website.  I'll ask Kevin to add it to the website when he has time and will share it here soon.
Aloha, Robert
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 11:13:02 AM »

I thought most companies were moving to hot glue connections.  Epoxy joints seem so last century.  Like surfing a beach break when a point break is next door. 

Robert - You even had a video about the benefits of merely Taping the joints, I think it was Quickblade with their angled ferrule system. 

Otherwise I'm with Pono.  Simple electrical tape avoids the need for heat guns, keeps it simple . . . . KISS.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 01:10:09 PM »
We use a mixture of heat shrink and self fusing, electrical insulating and sealing rubber mastic tape, to seal the joints on our paddles...the blades are epoxied and the handle joints are hot glued...

http://supsports.com/sup-paddles
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 07:36:52 PM »
We use a mixture of heat shrink and self fusing, electrical insulating and sealing rubber mastic tape, to seal the joints on our paddles...the blades are epoxied and the handle joints are hot glued...

http://supsports.com/sup-paddles

Thx wardog. I'm playing a lot with paddles configuration these days so the Mastic tape looks
like a good temp solution, when I figure out my best settings I'll go with the heat shrink
for longer term.

Hi Burchas,
We buy pre-cut shrink tape in bulk and include it with paddles we sell but currently don't have it on our website.  I'll ask Kevin to add it to the website when he has time and will share it here soon.
Aloha, Robert

Thx Robert! That would be awesome. I'll keep an eye for that.
in progress...

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 12:47:30 PM »
Hi Burchas,
Sorry it took a while to put the heat shrink tape up on our website, but here it is:
https://blueplanetsurf.com/products/shrink-wrap-2pcs/
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 03:10:37 PM »
Thx Robert! Just put in the order.
in progress...

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 12:45:29 AM »
Thank you Burchas!
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal