Author Topic: Aww, kid!  (Read 6391 times)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Re: Aww, kid!
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 01:12:57 PM »
Hopefully, you guys didn't lose any paddling time...those dings are non-structural and could have been quickly repaired temporarily with a field repair kit...stickers...clear packing tape...& 5 minute epoxy ding stick...etc...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

jjdub

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 03:07:48 PM »
I like the gorilla glue/foam suggestions, but I'm curious as to the advantage over using the ding stick as a filler like boardlady recommends and like that guy used in the video I posted earlier.

Is it just a weight thing?  If there was a big enough chunk of foam missing, then sure, I wouldn't stuff pounds of putty in there, but for dings like this, I assume pretty much all the foam is still there and could easily be filled with putty and sanded, right?

Not trying to derail the thread at all, just curious and seems applicable in this case as the OP has about as much ding repair experience as I do  ;D
8'10" Bic Wave Pro Carbon Tec - sold 😔
9'9" Imagine Fluid
8'5 infinity B-Line
FFB colapinto
Lift 250/50 surf foil

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 04:05:20 PM »
I've used ding stick. Them holes are waaaaay too big for a ding stick.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2017, 05:56:41 PM »
I like the gorilla glue/foam suggestions, but I'm curious as to the advantage over using the ding stick as a filler like boardlady recommends and like that guy used in the video I posted earlier.

Is it just a weight thing?  If there was a big enough chunk of foam missing, then sure, I wouldn't stuff pounds of putty in there, but for dings like this, I assume pretty much all the foam is still there and could easily be filled with putty and sanded, right?

Not trying to derail the thread at all, just curious and seems applicable in this case as the OP has about as much ding repair experience as I do  ;D

A pro repairman showed me how Gorilla Glue combines with moisture to make foam.  Sooo, if you have any residual water in the board, it can help dry it out.  If not fully dry, you can see it expand out through the hole, and you can easily cut it back when it sets. 

Do not sneer at the low weight advantages of using foam.  Have ditched a couple boards that "gained" weight after repairs.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal