Author Topic: Aww, kid!  (Read 6390 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Aww, kid!
« on: September 05, 2017, 06:32:55 PM »
I took my son Gabriel paddling in the river on Labor Day. I had my daughter Miranda on my Pau Hana 11, and he was on my trusty NSP 11, which I've pretty much given him. The kid isn't bad on his board, but he does tend to freeze up when he needs to put on some steam.

It was windy and choppy. We were messing around in the surf on a river beach because the wind was keeping us from going anywhere. We did have to paddle around a rough spot with some piling though. No biggie on way to the beach.

On he way back, Gabriel froze up. The waves pushed him against a line of piling shots just sticking out of the water. I left hm to his own devices, figuring he'd got around that earlier, and he'd do it again.

He froze up. I paddled away, dropped my daughter on land, then went to check on him. He didn't get away from the pilings, and the waves lifted the board on top of them. There are now four peach sized holes in the bottom of the board, and a fifth crack. Any of these holes would be a major repair.

I was pretty pissed off because I'd talked to the kid multiple times about freezing up and putting energy into moving. He was really upset, which kept me from getting too mad.

I've been experimenting with repairs, but these are beyond me. I can't even afford to get this professionally repaired right now, and the closest repair shop is about two hours away.

Darn kids.

Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Aww, kid!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 06:42:12 PM »
Fully repairable, and at home. Seriously, you can do it man. And it's white! You can color match it with a spray can!

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 07:27:57 PM »
Father - son project  ;D

...and my condolences...
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 08:01:01 PM »
I think repairing the board is going to be easier than repairing your boy's confidence. If you've had to talk to your boy multiple times around freezing up when things go south when paddle boarding, with this accident, he may just decide sup paddling isn't for him.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

jjdub

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 08:56:16 PM »
yeah, compared to the damage to this board, I think yours should be smooth sailing.  can't really make it any worse too, give it a go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j7jebEW4qg
8'10" Bic Wave Pro Carbon Tec - sold 😔
9'9" Imagine Fluid
8'5 infinity B-Line
FFB colapinto
Lift 250/50 surf foil

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 09:12:37 PM »
Easy peasy Ichabod. First cut squares around the holes bigger than the damaged areas. Dig the squares out so they are about 1/2" deep. You can just cut back and forth and kinda scrape the holes as flat as you can with a box knife and a chisel or screw driver.  Find some EPS foam from and Ice chest or molded foam from TV or similar packaging. Cut the foam into pieces with a box knife or any hand saw that fit into the holes. They don't have top be perfect at all. Let the pieces stick up out of the holes as high as you need. Glue them in with standard Gorilla Glue. The the glue will foam and expand, so you want to tape the pieces down. Give it 24 hrs to dry. Use a hacksaw blade or handsaw to cut the foam within an 1/8 of the surface of the board. Then sand the pieces flush with the board. Wipe some Spackle over the foam to seal it.
Then buy this...    https://greenlightsurfsupply.com/collections/surfboard-ding-repair/products/epoxy-surfboard-sup-ding-repair-kit?variant=1052046747

You can hand sand it or use someones palm sander to sand the epoxy smooth. Get it close as you can, then spray it with some flat white epoxy paint from a spray can.

Don't hurry. One step at a time.

YOU CAN DO IT!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 03:00:40 AM »
TallDude, I will try that. What you're describing doesn't seem so hard. Thanks!

And I'll encourage the kid. He gets a fair amount of that, but I'll give him more.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 04:40:48 AM »
TD, nice write-up.

Ichy, fixing the board with your son is a good project. My adult kids still make and repair things after growing up doing projects with the parents.

To make small repairs, I would weight the cloth patches on an inexpensive 0-500g scale and mix up epoxy to yield 1.5 to 2x the cloth weight for the lamination. If using 10g cloth, mix 10 g resin + 4.5g hardener (assuming 100R:45H by weight epoxy) for lamination.

You can also use volume and syringes, for the example above the resin is mixed 2R:1H by volume so 10ml resin and 5ml hardener would work for (3) 6x6" patches of 4oz/sqyd cloth.

Just don't cross units and ratios, stay with one or the other.

Subsequent resin coats take even less, half or less than the amount used to laminate.

I an writing this because it is easy to overmix quantity and mis-mix ratios on small batches. With a little planning you can avoid most of the pitfalls.

Take some pics and let us know how it goes.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 05:06:27 AM »
In addition to what TD said, (if you do not have Gorila Glue on hand) here is how I like to handle new foam for deeper dings.  Cut a foam block, round or oval, just larger than the ding. (Run a hole saw backwards on a chunk of foam).  Trace the new foam block with a sharpie over the ding and then use a router with a mortising bit to cut out the exact shape.  This will get you close enough to use epoxy, or GG, to glue the foam in place.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 08:04:27 AM »
Easy repair, have the kid help you.

Anyone can freak out, especially when current is doing thing. I was poking around, not paying attention and got pushed into a wing dam on the Columbia, thought it was no big deal until I fell on the other side of it. Wound up hanging from my leash in two mph of current with the board jammed in the dam. Easy way to drown. I worked it out, it helps a lot to not be a panicker, but that's a learned trait.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 09:19:41 AM »

Yeah those repairs do not look at all that hard...actually kind of fun.

If its a beater board anyway you'll actually have fun and your kid can learn something.

I dunno what the construction of that board, but sanding down around the hole, dig out any lose stuff, make a mix of q-cell and epoxy..if you just fill epoxy it will be too warm for the foam. Q cell also keeps weight down. Then cover with cloth and paint on with epoxy. Sand again and paint.

Check out http://www.boardlady.com

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 05:08:02 PM »
I inherited a board from a friend for $100.  Yellow 9' 2" Paddle Surf Hawaii.  It came with fins so I figured "Great I'll use this as an auxiliary board." 

Next thing I see a fin box is leaking.  4 hour repair to put in a new ProBox.

Then I'm cleaning up some small dings and my wife closes the garage door.  The door knocks the board off the sawhorses and it bounces off the garage floor cracking the tail.  3 hours of clean up repairs.

Then my "daughter's" 10' 6" PSH has some mysterious cracked hull so I put her on the Yellow PSH.  She paddles out in horrible conditions and while coming back into shore a wave grabs the board and pulls it in front of her.  She doesn't know to grab the tail, and I haven't installed a Pae/Pono handle and the board nose dives into the sand and nearly rips the tip off.  6 hours of repairs.  Gorilla glue the nose back in place.  Clean up round of glass.  Final glassing and attempt at matching color . . . . .

And I never surfed the board.

It is especially bad when the board comes with a built in repair man.  My daughter felt "Bad" but I still did all the work. 

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 03:14:10 AM »
Now I'm very interested in fixing this board. Winter project, here I come. Thanks for the advice everyone. I was pretty intimidated by trying this, but I think I can do it.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 04:42:53 AM »
You can definitely do this Ian. Fixing boards is something we all should learn...at least the basics. Perfect one to start with...multiple chances to make mistakes and learn from them...... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 11:17:28 AM »
Looks like an energetic repeat of my first effort in ding repair.  For reference:
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,32084.0.html

Where you have them is actually the easiest areas to fix, because flat surfaces are less tricky than edges.
I spent about 75 bucks on epoxy, Q-Cell, mixing cups, fiberglass, and sandpaper, and roughly 3 to 4 hours total to fix all the spots on the board damage in my thread.  It's rare when a ding repair costs less than that, and I took care of 3 of them.

Listen to TD on the gorilla glue and foam insert method.  I keep some packing foam from a furniture shipment for just such an occasion now.  I will admit that I liked working with the Q-Cell and epoxy.  I watched about 6 videos to come up with a plan, and it worked just fine.  I had the board out about 3 weeks ago and it's totally water tight and works fine even with the battle scars.

Krylon or Rustoleum gloss white will make everything right (and white) again.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal