Author Topic: bent Takuma mast  (Read 9204 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: bent Takuma mast
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 01:00:57 PM »
Its getting tumbled in white water that will most likely do it when forces are applied that are not in the intended directions, at the end of the day something has to give at some point and a bent mast is probably the cheapest and most simple option and fix.

Dialy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 08:42:39 AM »
Here is a photo.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 08:55:15 AM »
You could easily straighten that in a press. I've straightened hundreds of motorcycle fork tubes that are much stronger and much more critical about straightness. If you have a real motorcycle shop near you, take it to them and find a mechanic more than 40 years old. Nowadays they'd just replace the tubes but we used to straighten them in a press. Otherwise, you could easily shorten the mast and re-tap it, but I think I see some gradual bending that also needs attention.

I bent because it received a strong force in its weak direction. If you get it straightened it will be less likely to bend in the same place because aluminum work hardens.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 08:57:47 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dialy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 07:12:55 PM »
Thanks for the advice Pono but it looks like I won’t have to try and fix it myself. Takuma’s warranty will cover it and Houston Kiteboarding is sending me a brand new mast tomorrow. I’m stoked!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2017, 09:44:07 PM »
straighten it and keep it as a spare.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2017, 08:46:17 PM »
I bent my Naish 70cm first surf then eventually bent ( after many surfs) the 55cm. I sent the 70 back didn’t asked for a replacement. For the 55 I pulled it apart left it in the sun so it was pretty hot and got a couple pieces wood and jumped on it . Amazingly it worked still going strong. The killer on mast bends is legrope wraps in the impact zone always use a coiled leg rope will avoid that plus try and stay away from any impact zones that’s what bends the mast even if you don’t have a legrope wrap.
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2017, 11:10:12 PM »
The technique for straightening a tube in a press is straightforward. make some blocks that will support the mast--soft wood will work. Put the mast with the bend upwards and the blocks close to the bend. Put a third block on the bend and pump the press down until it's firmly against the middle block. pump until the bend is slightly reversed, and then release the press jack. the mast will spring back a little. Use a straightedge to judge how you've done. You can find the center of any remaining bend by rocking the straightedge on the convex side. Mark the middle and repeat gently. It won't take long. Keep the blocks as close to the bend as you can so you don't tweak the straight section. If the mast also has a slight general bend, as this one appears to, you can take that out with a wider set.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal