Author Topic: Long Distance, multi-day  (Read 2981 times)

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Long Distance, multi-day
« on: September 06, 2017, 12:20:52 PM »
I'm planning a ~100 mile paddle around the San Juan Islands next year, and dream of making it an event if I find it do-able after my first attempt.  I have started training by building up my ability to just paddle for 4-6 hours on the Salish Sea, but I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on how long I should be prepared to paddle per day.

I'm thinking if I paddle 8hrs a day and can maintain 3mph average speed, I can cover 80-100 miles in 4 days if everything goes right...assuming I'm not carrying ALL the food, water, and gear I need for camping along the way.

I'm guessing I would need at least one re-supply along the way, that I'll need to find spots I can stop & camp that are within 5 miles of that 8hr distance, and that I'll need to carry enough food/water/gear for those assumptions. That's still a lot of fresh water I need to carry.

What say you? Is 8hrs per day for 4 days a "reasonable" goal, or should I be looking at 10? Is 3mph a reasonable speed assuming I'm carrying myself and 40lbs of gear? I'm planning to use my 14x28 coast runner because it is a known quantity for long distance events, and the volume is great for 260#.

If any of you have actually done a multi-day event like this, I'd sure love to hear about your lessons learned, and any advice you have. Thanks!
Custom 16' x 33" x 6", 51.6lbs, all the litres
Starboard Coast Runner (2012) 14' x 28", 38.8lbs 293L
Surftech Universal Blacktip, 11'6" x 32" x 5", 32.8lbs 238L
48yo, 215lbs, 70", Bellingham, WA

Love is never wasted

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Re: Long Distance, multi-day
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 12:57:43 PM »
You can contact Norman Hann in Squamish. https://normhann.com/
He has tons of experience on this very subject.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 09:35:34 AM »
Thanks, Luc! I looked at his site, and you aren't exaggerating - wow! I'll hit him up and see what he has to say, he has several courses available.

I found an Android GPS tracking app yesterday called Geo Tracker that gives me a google map showing my session, and some cool info with lots of details. I only used it for a short portion yesterday when the water was mostly flat, slack tide with virtually no wind. Paddling steadily but not hard on my 14x28 coast runner I managed a top speed of 4.97mph, and an average speed of 3.44mph over 4.5 miles.

I've never looked at or considered speed, I don't race and I don't like the whole race scene, but I figure this is a great way for me to track my paddles, compare boards & paddles, and get a reasonable idea of how fast/far I'm able to paddle over the winter. My engineer brain is all geeked out over this part, spreadsheets beckon :)

And still with the agony of da-feet - My feet were in varying states of numb paddling non-stop for over an hour. I move them around while paddling, but it surprises me how hard my feet work, and that they need to train up for the task as much as any other part of my body. Must be because they transmit all the pressure from my stroke to the board to create movement, so the harder you paddle the harder they work. I'll learn to move around more on my board as time goes by, and that'll help too, I'm sure.

One thing I am considering is using a board with a steering system of some kind, because even with little to no wind, and slack tide, I still ended up having to paddle considerably more on one side than the other. That's gonna really suck with gear on board and paddling for hours on end, so looks like a new unlimited board might be in my future...or maybe I build a steering system for my 16' board...hmmm. This gets more fun and interesting the more I do with it!
Custom 16' x 33" x 6", 51.6lbs, all the litres
Starboard Coast Runner (2012) 14' x 28", 38.8lbs 293L
Surftech Universal Blacktip, 11'6" x 32" x 5", 32.8lbs 238L
48yo, 215lbs, 70", Bellingham, WA

Love is never wasted

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 09:47:40 PM »
FWIW, the guy who one Race to Alaska didn't have a steering rudder - but on a kayak on similar waters I hate NOT having a rudder and I paddle both side every single stroke...so maybe?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 10:59:53 PM »
Will knows about this probably more than anyone. He's paddled the entire West Coast of the US virtually un-assisted, Canadian border to Mex. He just restocked his on-board supplies as needed. Slept on beaches, and in few homes of people who welcomed him in along the way. He's done a few other crazy distance paddles around our local SoCal islands as well.

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,24034.msg242647.html#msg242647

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Ananda

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 08:35:08 AM »
I have done this with others. We have camped off our SUPs for 10 nights in the San Juans. 5 nights consecutive.

Wind is the biggest factor that can slow your pace.

I usually plan 4 hour stretches of paddle time to best use currents. In San Juans the currents are less intuitive with lots of eddies and swirls.

We can usually go 18-20 miles in 4.5 hours with our overnight gear and up to 8-10 liters of water when winds are not present and currents are not against. If windy, and especially headwinds, pace will slow dramatically.

Get the WWTA book (join them or donate to them, or find online version) that has all the paddle camps detailed as well which have water and which don't.

Send me a PM if you want to connect about more specifics.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal