Author Topic: Surf to Sup to part time surf  (Read 9075 times)

kliss99

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Surf to Sup to part time surf
« on: September 03, 2017, 08:12:14 AM »
Hi all,

Probably an odd question for this sight and was wondering if it should go under the "Random" topic but anyway.
I'm 53 yrs old started surfing regularly at age 17.  About 5yrs ago I took up sup surfing and have done this almost exclusively the past three years.
This past summer I prone surfed with my daughter, I rode my old 8'6 x 2 3/4"x 21 1/2" Patagonia Pointblanks surfboard (probably 15yrs old).  Even though the board has above dimensions and is heavy it feels like I'm riding a toothpick compared to my sup.  On another occasion I surfed a 8ft foam wavestorm and had a blast! 
There are times I'd still like to regular surf and want to buy a board (not a longboard per se and not a foamie) that will not be a volume shock when I use it.

Researching some boards I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the following:
FireWire Addvance, FireWire Submoon, 7S Superfish, Surftech Nugget

Any feedback and recommendations are much appreciated.

Ken
8'6 JL Superfrank
8'10 NSP Surf Wide
9'2 Fanatic Allwave 2013
14' NSP Cocomat

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surf to Sup to part time surf
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 10:14:08 AM »
Hi Kliss

I am 61year old sup surfer who occasionally prone surfs. The only Board that I have owned of the ones you mentioned is the 7s super fish. It was the xl model, very stable and a transition type board for small waves. Caught waves with ease. Construction was ok but compared to my sup boards dinged easily. Now down to an ancient Hawaiian long board and my surf Sups.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 10:48:39 AM »
My current prone surfboard is a SUP--a Jimmy Lewis 11'7". I think this was the first SUP Jimmy made, and it was basically a somewhat blown up longboard. I don't recall the width or thickness, but it's easy to paddle prone, catches anything, and given my inability to pop up anymore, gives me time to stagger to my feet. I still like riding it, but limit it to very short sessions since anything longer leaves my back and neck in spasms. Yes, I can SUP paddle it, but barely. My 12'2" X 25.5" Ku Nalu is much more stable, and it's a challenge for almost anyone but the PITA sup kids and guys like Jeremy, who would consider either of them to be stable as a dock.

If you can find either of these boards (or the Starboard 12'2" which is identical to the Ku Nalu) then you'll have a board that does about everything you can ask a board to do, and does it pretty well. I'd still take my old Kenny Tilton out for a spin, but it's delamed and would probably break in half if I managed to stand up on it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 10:52:30 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 11:46:56 AM »
Lets face it, SUP surfing gets you a higher wave count. I did recently shaped myself the kind of move-up volume prone board similar to probably what you are probably looking for. I've surfed it 3 times in the past year and a half I've had it. SUP surf is really all I think about now days. The Firewires are well constructed boards. You are probably drawn to them because of the Sunova connection / cousins. They are kind of pricey for an occasional use board. As far as higher volume boards I was looking at that are in the Funboard to Performer longboard range were the Stewart Funboard & 949 models and the Infinity Secret Weapon' Original'. These are the 50+ range boards:) Being less and less flexible makes it harder to get to my feet, and I miss waves I would have never missed in the past.
I was sitting there in the lineup on my prone board last year at Doheny, watching all the stand-ups getting wave after wave. I thought to myself, look at all the waves I'm missing:( 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

kliss99

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 12:23:53 PM »
I just returned from a very fun sup surf session here in NJ, waves were bigger than I expected low tide dumpers.  I caught a few and kicked out early then got greedy and got pummeled.  Waves nonstop and had to wait on the beach to rest then paddled back out, glad I did cause the waves got real good with the incoming tide.
When I couldn't get back out at that moment I was wondering if I should be proning?  The spots I surf in jersey are all beachies with no channels.  Today was tough but I am satisfied.

I really don't want a longboard, I surf my sup like a short board. The boards I mentioned above from what I read supposedly turn real well even at bigger sizes.

Talldude you are right about higher wave count and I felt today I was getting better rides than the regular Surfers in my vicinity.  I still feel the prone board has it's purpose for me.
8'6 JL Superfrank
8'10 NSP Surf Wide
9'2 Fanatic Allwave 2013
14' NSP Cocomat

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 03:00:48 PM »
I like the ability to smoothly swing to my feet, which doesn't happen at all anymore. To me the elegance of prone boarding is that moment when you transition from paddling to standing. So I get it why some prone guys say SUP isn't surfing. Getting it doesn't mean I agree though. Surfing is surfing. Standing up is something people start doing pretty well when they're still pooping in diapers.

The wave count difference is ridiculous, especially between weekend SUP surfers and weekend prone surfers. The good surfers who do it all the time get just as many waves, the fat pony-tailed guys that paddle for everything and get ten waves a session when they aren't bitching at everyone--not so much. I look at the way an intermediate SUP surfer handles waves after maybe two years, and the way a ten waves on a good day, "I've been surfing here for 20 years" longboarder surfs them. Hmmm. Wave count, counts.

I think people have a better chance of being a good surfer if they start on a SUP and then pick up a longboard instead of the other way around. Though there's no shortage of great SUP surfers who were surfers first.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jjdub

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 04:39:24 PM »
Volume shock is subjective.  If you had a blast on a foamie, I'd get and surf a foamie.  Nice and durable, safe, and cheap!
I have had buddies with construction issues with 7s.  Most Firewires are good.  I'd get a surftech board designed by a reputable shaper so that the resale would be good too.  Get a Robert August or Donald Takayama surftech.  Nice and durable and surf well enough.
Just like with sup, you'll get more glide and earlier entry from a longer board so not sure why you'd rule out a longboard.
Just like with sup advice, we'd need more info like your size, experience and type of waves you surf.
8'10" Bic Wave Pro Carbon Tec - sold 😔
9'9" Imagine Fluid
8'5 infinity B-Line
FFB colapinto
Lift 250/50 surf foil

lpmaui

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 04:52:33 PM »
Checkout the Stewart 949 series. They are a mid length 7 to 8' high performance board set up as a quad plus trailer.
Incredibly fast and you can pick off the waves sitting out back with the longboarders...

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 05:16:37 PM »
Hi Ken,

I have owned both an Aadvance and nugget.   My experience with those constructions is that low volume and thin, especially at the rails work better. The high volume thick boards that i had were not my cup of tea, felt slow stiff and corky.

I have some really high volume thick and wide "fishy" shape customs thay i love.  I found a bigger older shaper that understands what I am looking for.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

kliss99

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 05:22:12 PM »
Jjdub- after two sessions on the foamie there were visible dents on the deck, I could see it in the land fill shortly if I had it out on a day like today.  I bought it for my daughter, i just wanted to test it out.
I'm 5'9ish, 200lbs and fairly fit, exercise regularly although I do have shoulder issues.  Surf northern New Jersey all beach break, I'm a goofy foot where most waves are rights, surfing since 1987.

Ipmaui- thanks those 949's are more what I'm looking for.  Although, the site doesn't list prices so I imagine their expensive.

Clay- thanks for the info.

Ponobill and frp thanks for your feedback as well.
8'6 JL Superfrank
8'10 NSP Surf Wide
9'2 Fanatic Allwave 2013
14' NSP Cocomat

jjdub

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 05:29:18 PM »
It depends on the foamy, I suppose. I have ridden the Costco wavestorm boards and they hold up fine. All boards will get some pressures.
I would actually very strongly recommend an nsp surfboard. They have good strong midlength shapes as well as the torque boards and the price point is great.  CL usually has a ton of deals
8'10" Bic Wave Pro Carbon Tec - sold 😔
9'9" Imagine Fluid
8'5 infinity B-Line
FFB colapinto
Lift 250/50 surf foil

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 05:45:49 PM »
Of the three methods of catching waves i.e. knee pop-ups, standup and prone pop-ups, I like standup catching the best. Standup wave catching to me somehow feels the most organic and integrated with the whole ocean experience and I enjoy it every time.

Knee pop-ups are the kookiest, but work well on a subset of waves that at my size and weight I would not otherwise catch.

I started late in the sport, so prone pop-up holds no special mystique for me, but it is better than missing a wave when I am already down in the water.  I have no problem with prone pop-ups, but have no idea what it would be like to prone pop-up on  a regular surf board rather than a SUP, since SUP is all I have ever done.

The main issue with prone pop-up on a SUP is grabbing the paddle also on the way up, something the proners don't have to bother with.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 05:47:38 PM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 06:46:43 PM »
...snippity...

I think people have a better chance of being a good surfer if they start on a SUP and then pick up a longboard instead of the other way around. Though there's no shortage of great SUP surfers who were surfers first.

Hmmm...me thinks you have it bass ackwards in the first sentence, amigo...but, ya gots it right in the sentencia segundo...;-)

BTW, lots of great surfers have never picked up a longboard or a SUP...YMMV...;-)
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 07:15:32 PM »
I can't think of one good surfer who started on SUP. Who could it be?

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 07:21:20 PM »
Hey K99, check out Davey Skye down in Manasquan NJ.

http://m.daveyskysurfboards.com/index.html

For NJ, beach break waves, guys like you and I (mid 50's and 200lbs) do well on groveler style short boards up to shoulder high.  Dave's Reviver is a board you should consider.  The Reviver is a board that you could ride in the 5'10" range (at almost 23" wide and mid 40's volume).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal