Author Topic: G'day from Oz!  (Read 5414 times)

Andrew.A

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
G'day from Oz!
« on: September 27, 2007, 10:27:03 AM »
Just wanna say g'day from downunder to the Stand Up Zone crew. I have yet to post anything to any forum but having read some of the threads I couldnt help but respond and let you know that the stoke extends all the way down here to Australia.

Having seen the boom and bust of windsurfing it is clear that we are seeing the dawn of a whole new way of playing in the sea! SUP surfing has depth and possibilities that will see it grow into something of true substance that will appeal well beyond the 'surf market'.

Its simplicity and its ability to take us back to basics, is at its core.

It is early days down here but the STOKE is well and truly alive! Everyday I am talking to more and more SUP'ers who are stoked about the possibilities.

Like all sports that go 'boom', the sharks are out there but it is clear that this sport has some very solid foundations built on integrity and passion for the sport.

So, I want to say thanks to one guy who regulalry contributes to this forum, who I am sure will go down in the history of this sport as one of the progressive founders. The goodwill and friendship that he extended to me (having never met me before) proves just how much 'Aloha' and integrity this sport has at its foundations.

I'm stoked and I'm out there again tomorrow!

Stay in touch and keep the POSITIVE vibe alive, cos its spreading globally!

Andrew Allen
Sydney Australia

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: G'day from Oz!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 01:45:25 AM »
Where in Sydney? I have a friend who lives also in Fiji and has been SUP in Maroubra. His name is Godfrey, say gidday if you see hom.

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 02:26:08 PM »
Having lived in OZ on & on from '86 to '93 I'm looking forward to seeing the Aussie spin on this sport from surfing to ocean paddling.  You've got some unreal SUP spots that I'd love to come back and surf one day. 
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

Andrew.A

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 05:42:41 AM »
Yep we are one a BIG island!

Australian Coastline Length 59 736 k's (37,118 miles)
Australia is the sixth largest country in the world, and is the only one of the top six that is completely surrounded by water. The mainland and Tasmania are also surrounded by many thousands of small fringing islands and numerous larger ones. Nearly forty percent of the total coastline length comprises island coastlines. As an island nation, coastlines play an important role in defining national, State and Territory boundaries ans SUP surfin possibilities.

I am based in Manly, Sydney and find myself talking to SUP'ers every day.
As son as I get some pics I will post them.

Basically the vibe is  that we are about 1 1/2 years behind you guys, but stay tuned cos the Aussie paddlers are goingto come over and kick your arses one day!! :D
(just thought I would fire this thread up a bit!)

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 08:23:12 PM »
Manly?  I love it.  I lived there in the mid/late '80's and used surf with the Manly Malibu Board Riders (RIP Twiz and Snowy).  Lots of fun waves SUP waves there for sure.  Can't wait to see some pics.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

jethro

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 06:35:34 PM »
hello from tropical north queensland (Australia)
I am a newby to SUP but have 40+ years surfing experience, mainly around the Wollongong area of NSW.
I now live 50km north of Townsville QLD. Not much surf up here and when I first arrived I thought I would go nuts. Started windsurfing again which helped. I first noticed SUP surfing on a web site and thought that it would be ideal for the windswells at my local beach ( I am the only one here who surfs/windsurfs /SUP).
I bought a 11ft6" Naish from SUPS Australia at Noosa (many thanks to Chris and Di for their help). Been distance paddling and surfing the tiny stuff for about 3 weeks now and I am having a ball. I've got my sanity back. The weather here is perfect with 300+ days of sunshine a year (hot in summer)
I think the sport has the potential to really take off up here

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 08:35:35 PM »
Jethro,   what is the furthest north that still gets surf? I know Frasier Island has surf, what about Bundaberg, ever?  I'm planning a move there for next year, maybe the Sunshine Coast. Would like to be away from the crowds somehow. Maybe Yamba.

Tah mate.       

jethro

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 03:57:20 AM »
Hey Mike

They say the most northern beach that still gets quality surf is Agnes Water (between Bundaberg and Gladstone). You can check out a daily surf report at  swellnet.com.au.

I read in a recent issue of Pacific Longboarder that there is a mal club based in the Yepoon/Emu Park ( on the coast from Rockhampton) area and the surf pictures look pretty good.

We don't get much quality surf where I live, too much influence from the Great Barrier Reef. It's not  crowded though. Good windswells for SUP.

In my most recent experience of Northern NSW (Coffs Harbour to the Queensland border) it is crowded whenever the surf is good.

Hope this helps

Andrew.A

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 03:16:36 AM »
G'day to all those Oz dreaming....

Pretty much every break on the East coasr of OZ gets crowded when its good. In my experience, once you go north of Noosa the consistancy drops right. The key is to find some sleepy little breaks south of the QLD boarder where there is heaps of variety and choice to be had.

For those who want to see some some SUP in OZ, heres a shot of some waves at Queenscliff/Manly a few weeks back. Swell has been crap down here for some time but it is good to get your skills up!

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w121/12Hop07/AA_QC_1.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w121/12Hop07/AA-QC-2.jpg

Maybe we should get Rand to set up an Aussie page!!

Andrew.A

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 08:23:13 AM »
Maybe we should get Rand to set up an Aussie page!!

No way man, we are keeping you guys right here with the rest of us, where we can keep our eyes on you  :)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard